Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 11:27   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Help Needed Getting Hatch Off

I have an IP31 with supposedly the original Lewmar 1988 hatches. The hatch above the v-berth glass/lexan broke and while we were able to get the glass out, getting the hatch itself off would make the installation process so much easier.

I thought there were set screws but two holes are definitely empty and the other two may have something - but nothing we can get a wrench in. The hinge pins feel like they are resisting a spring when pushed either direction. The hatch itself feels like aluminum (and would be if original).

I am tempted to drill them out, but the hole is so small, I worry it may make them unusable.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	15610   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	15611  

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 17:59   #2

Further question based on this:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/lewmar-hatches-17587.html

Is it really necessary to vacuum them back into the frame? They appear to be seated/pressed in butyl, but some have recommended using Boatlife LifeSeal silicone-polyurethane. Any experience using Lifeseal?

Old 24-04-2010, 18:53   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Do those holes go all the way thru or are they just on the side that you photographed? If they go all the way thru, the hinge pin may be held in place by a pin which is compressed when inserted and expands in the hole. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of them. Its a small tube thing with a slot up the length. Compression pin?

Anyway, if so you may be able to drive them out with a drift pin of the correct diameter. From what you are describing I'd say thats the thing you are dealing with.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 19:41   #4

If the small holes go all the way through the hinge frame and there is no thread, I would suspect a roll pin. This is what SabreKai was trying to remember. Makes me feel good that I am no the only one getting old and forgetful!

Is the hinge pin showing on the end of the hinge? both ends or just one? Can you drive the hinge pin out if the roll pins are out? Your photos don’t’ show this part.

Driving the roll pins out may be a SOB because they are SS in aluminum. You can’t drill it, the pin is too hard and the drill will jump and ruin the frame. You can soak it before pounding, can’t hurt.

Find a roll pin someplace and look at it. This will help you visualize what you need to do.

Um Saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 06:40   #5

Hinge Details

See attached - the holes do not go all the way through. There is definitely a "spring like" feedback from pushing something into two of the "set" holes.

I was guessing a set screw but if it is, then I am unsure how to get it out without destroying the frame. I also share the concern that trying to get any hardened metal out of an aluminum frame is going to be a problem.

The hinge pin itself is accessible from both sides and driving it in either direction only moves it 1/8" before something stops it. I can opt for leaving it and replace only the pane (I have a way to compress it back into the frame).

I still need to get the existing butyl off the frame. I have heard acetone on a scrub pad will do it, or mineral spirits. I will see if something less toxic may work (Oops Perhaps?).
Attached Images

Old 25-04-2010, 09:43   #6

I would still suspect a roll pin. They drove them in blind so you can't get them out. I don't think much of Lewmar anything. Just my take on their products. Lot's of weak links and not user friendly.

Softening any mastic for me is trial and error with lots of both. If it is really good stuff nothing totally removes it but some solvents will soften it a little.

Um Saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 16:05   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Get yourself a magnifying glass and have a close look at the holes. You may be able to confirm its a roll pin. They have been known to be installed blind. In such this case it may be possible to open up a hole on the opposite side of the fitting with a drill and then drive the pin out with a drift.

Its tricky and will require a good bit of precision in measuring and alignment of the drill bit but the material is soft so it is doable.

Its up to you.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote