Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 11:16   #16

Boat: Coast 30
Re: HELP! water logged foam filled dink!

I write to express My opinion that I do not think highly of Boston Whalers suggested repair methods. The entire idea of filling a buoyancy tank with any type of foam is to prevent the sudden ingress of water as a result of an accidental hull breach. As it temporarily prevents the hull from sinking immediately, Thus that gets you home and saves your life.

When it comes to discussing what is waterproof I think polyester is about 98% perhaps epoxy resin is better. To say that closed cell foam is waterproof is a misnomer, Yes it is at least water resistant. However marina docks that use it for floatation eventually sink so low they have to be replaced. Foam filled road vehicle tires last a little bit longer especially if sealed at the bead.

As for injecting Polyester resin as a repair, It is heavier than water So adding ballast material to a buoyancy tank does not make logical sense? However telling your client to dispose of your product IF they damage it is probably not a good marketing plan? Thus it could be seen by some as truth in their mind? that offering suggestions of any type of repair as being something of a face saving measure. After all; a foam filled buoyancy tank is marginally safer than an inflatable?

It is undeniable that is is possible to hang and drain a shell filled with foam: up to a point. and no doubt solar heat would be the most effective as would the time factor. but as for returning to as built weight condition? absolutely not economical.

When ever I worked in boat works that used foam. It was pumped into the open hull shell and allowed to complete unrestricted expansion. The cured excess would then be removed with a saw. board sanded if needed and then the deck liner was bonded on.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:56   #17

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: HELP! water logged foam filled dink!

I had a 17 foot whaler with a center console that was full of water that it almost sank when we tried to use it the first time .Took off the console cut the floor out all the way around . After we removed all foam we could .we replaced the floor with a a foam sandwich one which we glassed in and installed a bilge pump .13 years later still going strong
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water