Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 13:07   #1

Boat: Formosa 41'
Help with LP gas stove install

I am trying to install my propane stove in the galley. Unless I get a different stove or completely gut the galley and redesign it (I don't want to do either) there is only one place to put the stove. This is a small "cubby" hole under the side-deck. The space between the back burner and the underside of the deck is about 10 inches when the gimbles are as low as I can place them. I plan to install a sheet of stainless steel behind the stove with fireproof insolation behind that. There is an 18 inch space behind the stove.

I've attached a photo (sorry about the orientation). The brown wood is where the underside of the deck is and the pot is on the back burner which is completely under the deck. The two burners in front are not under the deck at all.

My question is, are there rules and regulations regarding the placement of the stove, such as distance between the stovetop and the underside of the deck, or the gauge of stainless, etc.?

Thanks, JH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220408_123345.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	255667   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220408_123309.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	255671  

jimjimmyjimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help with LP gas stove install

On land, 30" of air clearance is often specified, between the gas cooktop, and the underside of any unprotected combustible surface above.
I wouldn't install a gas cooktop, with less than 12" clearance above.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It's your recreational boat, so in the USA you can do it. On the other hand, I cannot imagine your insurance company being happy about it. I would not do it in my boat.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:28   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

propane stoves give off a LOT of heat and anything flammable (or otherwise) above it is suspect. 10" clearance sounds like an issue to me. maybe you could disable the back burner and just use the front burners
Old 09-04-2022, 15:09   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Regulations here are 18" min clearance between top of burner & any combustible material, even then your'e required to sheet the underside of the combustible material with s/steel sheeting or similar up to a height of 24", a 6" high s/steel sheet (splashback) either fitted to the rear of the cooker or the back wall (not applicable in your case) is also required. Lateral distance from the edge of each burner to any combustible material is 8". The only way I'd do it, as gonesail says, is to disable the rear burner, fit a splashback to the rear of the cooker & s/steel sheet (6"high & o.0239 g is probably ok), to the adjacent sides...I'd also have a fire extinguisher handy & get a lic. gasfitter to do the connection...
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 17:17   #6

Whatever works safely for you is fine
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 19:33   #7

Boat: Baba 40

Check your instructions. They generally provide safe distances.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 19:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjimjim View Post
I am trying to install my propane stove in the galley. Unless I get a different stove or completely gut the galley and redesign it (I don't want to do either) there is only one place to put the stove. This is a small "cubby" hole under the side-deck. The space between the back burner and the underside of the deck is about 10 inches when the gimbles are as low as I can place them. I plan to install a sheet of stainless steel behind the stove with fireproof insolation behind that. There is an 18 inch space behind the stove.

I've attached a photo (sorry about the orientation). The brown wood is where the underside of the deck is and the pot is on the back burner which is completely under the deck. The two burners in front are not under the deck at all.

My question is, are there rules and regulations regarding the placement of the stove, such as distance between the stovetop and the underside of the deck, or the gauge of stainless, etc.?

Thanks, JH
Depends which country you're in.
What is the mfg. of that stove ? is it a Shipmate ?
Old 09-04-2022, 20:59   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have 14" from burner to overhead(under side of deck) , from top of large pot, which i use alot is 10" full time live aboard and cook alot, no problem, use CEMENT BOARD under the S.S. liner.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 22:03   #10

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

I have the same situation on my boat, the previous owner installed a full stainless steel overhead sheet stood 1/2 inch off the surface it is attached to. No cement board behind it but it is a brilliant idea to use that if you were truly concerned. I keep a fire blanket just to the right of my stove because it is the most useful extinguisher for cooking fires🔥🔥 good luck
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:45   #11

Boat: Formosa 41'

Thanks for all the input, it's very informative.

I think the most reasonable solution is to line the back and underside of the deck with SS and insolate with rock-wool, then disable or simply never use the rear burner.

At some point I plan to convert to an induction cooktop, but that is probably a year away.
jimjimmyjimjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove