Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 03:47   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Hey, I know what... Let's design a yacht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengearing View Post
I like the second one best. I wouldn't go with the super pointy first version as i think you should have more volume in the bow to prevent nose diving in heavy seas and running downwind. But it's a faster style than the third version so you would retain your performance and windward capability.

(I am by no means "educated" in boat building) pretty sure I understand the basic concepts though

Cheers

Ben
Ah... a productive reply! Okay, a vote for #2, then. But the after part... do we keep it broad and square like that? Round it slightly? Pinch it in a bit narrower? The stern is just as important as the bow. Should I run a different curve in the after section? Maybe try out a couple and see what just looks good? LOL
Old 31-01-2013, 03:50   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Only designed or built plywood skiffs. Never anything like this. By main frame I mean the frame at widest extreme breadth, which is a handy datum for referencing things.

See the ten equidistant marks on your CL? These are called stations, not frames, as a frame is an actual structural member and a station is strictly a point of reference. You have added an arbitrary station at the point of maximum beam. You will need to learn a great deal about the proper function of buttock lines, waterlines, stations, and diagonals, and how to prove them in all three dimensions so that they "agree" with each other. You can't just pick up an MCAD program and crank out a design. It's an extremely complicated discipline. I like to start with pencil and paper myself.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 04:00   #18

I don't have a MCAD program. I have Paintshop Pro 5.0.

Okay, you have given me a lot of reasons why we can't do this, and I am grateful for your expertise. Now do you have anything to contribute to the project?
Old 31-01-2013, 04:05   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I don't have a MCAD program. I have Paintshop Pro 5.0.

Okay, you have given me a lot of reasons why we can't do this, and I am grateful for your expertise. Now do you have anything to contribute to the project?

Not trying to give you reasons why you can't do this, IMHO it's totally doable. Just trying to put you on the right track to understanding how designing a boat works. Most designers like to start with a profile and then move on to half-breadth and plan views. Depends on the design though. Once you have a profile it's much easier to set up waterlines in half breadth. You are trying to start with a single waterline in half-breadth.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 08:29   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

I haven't read all the specs (couldn't be arsed ) - but I think I got the gist of it..........something like an Ovni in style would likely cover most of the requirements. whether or not in Aluminium or even without the drop keel.

Or a Hunter .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 09:36   #21

Hey DOJ, A drop keel, swing keel, jacknife keel, whatever, is not out of the question. A good old simple fixed keel will probably win out, but we will see. That part comes in Phase 5 and we are just getting started on Phase 1. And actually some sort of swing keel could be advantageous in a grounding. I have been on centerboarders and had the CB hop up in the trunk when the water got too skinny. Enough of an advantage to win out over a fixed keel? We will get around to deciding that, eventually.

A Hunter? I had envisioned something somewhat more rugged, actually. A little heavier. A little more beast. Fewer corners cut on strength and survivability, though I do admire the relative lack of frippery and useless luxury of the couple of Hunters I have seen up close and personal.

Come to think of it, aluminum wouldn't be out of the question, either, but we would have to watch the compound curves. Where I live, a lot of workboats are built out of aluminum, often by their owners or neighbors. Aluminum seems to work pretty well for the backyard builder. I have yet to see an aluminum sailboat I really like, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. But I think more backyard sailboat builders or wannabe builders are familiar with hand-laid fiberglass than welded aluminum, just from patching up their boats or making modifications. Anyway, construction materials and methods come in Phase 20.
Old 31-01-2013, 09:46   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I think the main frame needs to move forward, and there needs to be more buoyancy built into the bow. This boat, as currently drawn, isn't going to handle much chain, and will be taking a great deal of green water over the bow. With 300' of 3/8" chain, it's going to resemble a submarine going to weather in chop.
Old 31-01-2013, 11:29   #23

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

GM,

I think it will be desirable to consider most of the phases simultaneously in the early part of your project. Many of your phases will directly affect another. Without knowledge of one parameter it will be difficult to nail down another.

Numbering your phases and then requiring that we consider each in that order seems troublesome. Example: from your list, we are to not consider the construction material until phase 20. To me, this is something that needs to be addressed much earlier.

Typically, a design starts as a concept in one (1) persons mind. This concept has a general layout that is fairly close to the finished product. Naturally if we (many) spend a year "tweaking", it could diverge from the original concept greatly.

It is not my intent to discourage or to be negative about your project. If I have something constructive to add I certainly will. Good Luck.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 13:22   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Ok, so I built a model cruising yacht.

I was suffering from total frustration after years of searching for a potentially seaworthy boat that I could afford.

There was this cruising yacht that I admired so I copied what I could from the internet and went to work. Made my own modifications.

I'd already built one of those wooden square rigged models so I just followed the same technique.

Of course, as soon as it was almost finished I found Boracay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 060.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	53841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 065.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	53842  

Name:	Picture 098.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	53843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 099.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	53844  

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:45   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Ok, so I built a model cruising yacht.
Good stuff
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:52   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

OK, I know I am going to get hammered for this, but I will open up a few concepts and see what you think. First of all you want a boat that is bulletproof with lots of buoyancy. I have been thinking about such a boat. Consider a design similar to the Owen Clarke OCD 130:
It looks like if we knocked it down to 50 feet or so it should go together with sheet aluminum. Get rid of all cabin, make a ramp that folds off the transom and park this in it:
Ok, probably not a stock Airstream, but a marine grade travel trailer. It would get lower in (or backed in) Frame would get supported by the boat, wheels and travel tongue off, maybe a place for a couple of bikes etc.
The sailboat "shell" would have tons of room for your tankage, buoyancy, etc. If build right, there is no reason it would not be a ULDB and fly like the wind.
And then when you had your fill of fast water, you could take your little shell and live on land again, without ever moving your stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OCD_130_superyacht_blue_wa.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	53860   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	53861  

s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:04   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

A couple of other points: A ketch with a removable aft mast could make a bigger trailer fit (or a smaller boat) and the shell, if properly constructed, could be broken down in 8 foot sections (like a multipart dingy) to go on a trailer and hauled away to a new destination by a tractor-trailer.
And of course I forgot to mention that maintenance and inspection will be a breeze.
Take that you marina gold miners!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:37   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27

I 550 sport boat stretched... 6 foot headroom in cabin,daggerboard
Old 01-02-2013, 00:18   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A camel has been described as a horse designed by a committee... what sort of yacht do you think will come from a "committee" of ill informed CF members?

Growley, I really don't think that this is a great idea.

But, if you persist, I wish you and all the committee luck.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12   #30

Okay a couple of things,
1. what will this boat be used for?
2. Who will sail her?
3. what will be the MIN crew?
4. What could be the max Crew?
5. What will be the Max number of peppermint bunks/cabins?
6. Do we want a wet of dry boat?
7. what will be the rig, sloop/cutter/ketch/schooner ?
There must be a lot more variables and I am starting to think the accommodation needs to be addressed as this will impact on the hull design.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht