Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2007, 04:20   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
high build primer

is there much of a difference in application between roller or spray, roller would seem to be a little slower but less wasteful? im only asking because i am close to high building my boat and am considering using a roller to apply, so does it do as good a job as spraying, i was also thinking the roller may be more considerate of my neighbours what would you use?
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 04:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What product are you applying?
Different chemistries & brands, have differing application recommendations.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 13:28   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posted this before, but I'd save all your highbuild work for one session and hire an airless like in the pic and hose on with that.

will be able to do the whole boat with a Qcel hi-build mix [spray bog] in half a day, and give a quick lick with a speed board over the next couple of day's , and then hose an unmodified coat when done, ready for finish sand prior to shiny stuff.

Fast , no waste , no overspray, no annoyed neighbour's.

Roller seems to work if you just want to sand with an orbi, but you dont seem to get enough build up to board it back.

Dave

Old 28-01-2007, 13:49   #4

the cheapest i can find which for me at the moment is jotun high build about 350 for 20l
sean
Old 28-01-2007, 14:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
the cheapest i can find which for me at the moment is jotun high build about 350 for 20l
sean
OUCH

Have you tried asking for boatbuilders prices?

It has been 6 mth's since I ordered any, but I get Jotun for about $230, but I prefer using Ameron coatings Hi build @ $160 for 20l

Amercoat CC24 | Ameron Australia | protective coatings - marine, timber, automotive, and industrial

Reckon it sand's up nicer.

Dave
Old 28-01-2007, 17:36   #6

I got Jotun Pengard Hibuild for $207 per 20l at Potters Paint Place Strathpine (near Brisbane)

I have heard good things (from Streamline marine who get very nice finishes) about an Altex system that apparently fills the pinholes in bog very effectively - going to look into that more when I need more paint.

The ameron sounds like excellent value too.

As Dave says, I would save all the hibuild painting for one big job and hire a good spray setup - alternately buy a small airless outfit but obviously it wont work as well.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 22:09   #7

with the airless spray guns is there very little overspray then?
sean
Old 28-01-2007, 22:11   #8

ive been very happy with my current spray setup but was thinking a little more about the neighbours
sean
Old 28-01-2007, 23:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
with the airless spray guns is there very little overspray then?
sean
Where you point the gun, the paint goes.

As it is not atomised by compressed air to be blown around by the wind all the product goes on the job.

Try putting 20 litres on your boat in an hour with your paint pot and compressor.

Dave
Old 29-01-2007, 11:37   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean-
"was thinking a little more about the neighbours "
Can you tent the boat, with thin plastic sheeting rigged over any type of supports? That will ensure there are no overspray problems, and also ensure there are no bugs, dust, or other airborne contaminants that settle into your finish. During the buildup, or during the final painting.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 14:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Sean-
"was thinking a little more about the neighbours "
Can you tent the boat, with thin plastic sheeting rigged over any type of supports? That will ensure there are no overspray problems, and also ensure there are no bugs, dust, or other airborne contaminants that settle into your finish. During the buildup, or during the final painting.
With the heat and humidity of Cairn's, he'd have water dripping of the roof to worry about.

I'm 1000miles south and we gave 30 C /86 F and 78% humidity at 8-00am already today.

If you still want to use the compressor maybe hessian from a hessian bag manufacturer would be better than plastic, although it doesnt last long [3 mths]. I get it in 20m rolls for about $20 at 1.8 wide.

Now I just give the neighbours a week's notice and tell them to piss of for the day when I spray.

Dave
Old 29-01-2007, 16:01   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave-
Had to get a translator, in the States we call that Jute cloth or more commonly, burlap bags. AFAIK when it is carpet backing we still call it jute, but we call it burlap when it is a bag or roll, used by gardiners here to keep snow drifts out of bushes in the winter. Hessians being German mercenaries that fought on the wrong side in our revolution.

At 1.8m wide it would be a PITA to tent with it, we get thin poly sheeting in 12 foot (4m) and wider rolls, which make it easy to drop from the lifelines to ground level in one pass around the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 17:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor

At 1.8m wide it would be a PITA to tent with it, we get thin poly sheeting in 12 foot (4m) and wider rolls, which make it easy to drop from the lifelines to ground level in one pass around the boat.
Fair enough, my shed has 1.8 m from wall finish to floor, so right for me.

Stop's dust, but allows some breeze.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0177.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	849  
Old 30-01-2007, 01:56   #14

i may have to look into the ameron stuff, at the time i asked for the best cheapest stuff and used the paint shop recommended by another on the cheap boat builder

also how do you wash out the long paint hoses of the airless spray gun as im sure the hire shop wouldnt be to happy to know iwas going to spray 2 pack
sean
Old 30-01-2007, 03:24   #15

Just keep spraying thinners through the lines, recycle it a couple of times and then put through some clean stuff for a final rinse.

Shouldnt use any more than a couple of litres.

Dave