Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2009, 19:02   #16

Pull the boat and get a surveyor to tap the hull. That is only way to determine how damage has occurred. Looking at the hull will only tell you if there is superficial damage.

If you ever sell the boat, it will be surveyed. You can pay now and pay them later.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 19:52   #17

I was thinking how fun it would be to have a ROV camera. I looked up the VideoRay - too $$$$. Then I stumbled on this guy who built his own using six Attwood bilge pumps as thrusters. Now that's impressive! Watch his movie....

Welcome to Rollette.COM

As to the keel. The other risk (but small) is that you broke a keel bolt. Usually a forward one. Unfortunately, the only sure test is to drop the keel which is really expensive. As said, everyone runs aground. If you don't see any sign of cracking or "working" in the bilge - especially under sail - you're likely to just have a gouge in the lead that needs to be faired next haul. One reason to haul now is if you want to consider an insurance claim.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:19   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
cool camera
some surveyors can shoot the keel bolts and get an image of the condition.
I saw this once while working on a mine sweeper. I know it shows degradation of the bolts and assume it would show a sheer fracture. Very doubtful that happened though. Good time for a quick haul to see how things faired.I think thats what I would do.
Hit the bottom a fair bit but so far its been soft stuff. So my opinion is limited.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 18:57   #19

My personal suggestion is, if you're confident continue sailing. You're the person on the spot, and we're just going to have to concede you have the best information (which doesn't mean we can't second guess you and armchair skipper you to death.)

For peace of mind, and depending where on the Island you are, a quick lift inspection will probably not be very expensive, and you'll feel better motoring away a half an hour later. Definitely worth it, compared with nights popping up to check the bilge.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 04:58   #20

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
thanks everyone i have a friend who's a diver maybe i can get him to take a look for me no water coming in to the bilge yet but your right if im going to need an insurance claim on this then i better get it checked out right away
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 08:54   #21

I dont suppose there is a safe spot to careen the Catalina? You have the tides for it, but the fin keel may be too hard to do safely....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 13:17   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
But do get your own wet suit. It is a great safety item....

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
thanks everyone i have a friend who's a diver maybe i can get him to take a look for me no water coming in to the bilge yet but your right if im going to need an insurance claim on this then i better get it checked out right away
And we want to stay safe. You would be amazed how wild the seastate can be, and in a wet suit, mask, and goggles, it is very livable. It does take some commitment to practice... preferably some where tropical!