Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2013, 16:29   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Holes

A warning note: epoxy by itself is NOT UV resistant, so you'll have to use something with good UV filters if you want to leave her bright.
Old 24-12-2013, 18:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A warning note: epoxy by itself is NOT UV resistant, so you'll have to use something with good UV filters if you want to leave her bright.
Thank you.....I'm definitely gonna research it.I'd like to do it myself.She's laying up in a shed in Jersey and I can keep the place 70 degrees for as long as it takes to full cure.She's usually in cold water but I think I'm gonna head south.We usually don't have much problem with critters living on the hull in cold water.I'd pull her every two years for paint and dive on the hull once a year at least.Been 8 years since I hit the islands.My parents are in Lauderdale and they've got a dock.They are 95 years old.I can take my old man out one last time so he can find something wrong with it!!!
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 18:54   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Boats construction is? Carvel, clinker, strip, cold mold, diagonal? Material?

Glass job. Vaitses method or just a skin? Resin system intended? Any bagging experience? Intended use? Keep it forever or sell someday? When?

Just trying to help out.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 05:00   #19

Dear Minaret,Appreciate all the help I can get.She's double planked.Cypress on the inside,mahogany on the outer planks on white oak frames.Lead keel.She draws about 6'6" with full tanks and me and my partner on board.She was built mid 5o,s.I got her in 72.My partner is a 20lb rat terrier.I live aboard usually.I pulled her 1 1/2 years ago for her normal maintenance and discovered a little health issue that's kept me ashore ever since.She is in the final stages of a full rest,total refit.I love things in their original cond. but I solo cruise and are a firm believer in the latest electronics.I grew up using stupid radar reflectors,piles of paper charts that were good for a few months if they were any good to begin with,and radios you had to change the crystals on.I'm taking her on one last cruise.I usually provision up and set out of NY harbor with someplace in mind.There's about a 30% chance that's where I'll end up.Wanna visit some friends on the north shore of Jamaica,Barbados,Madagascar.I've got a bad feeling about Haiti,think I'll skip her.I'll never sell her,I'll leave her to my son.He can do whatever he likes.
Old 25-12-2013, 11:53   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg Sands View Post
Dear Minaret,Appreciate all the help I can get.She's double planked.Cypress on the inside,mahogany on the outer planks on white oak frames.Lead keel.She draws about 6'6" with full tanks and me and my partner on board.She was built mid 5o,s.I got her in 72.My partner is a 20lb rat terrier.I live aboard usually.I pulled her 1 1/2 years ago for her normal maintenance and discovered a little health issue that's kept me ashore ever since.She is in the final stages of a full rest,total refit.I love things in their original cond. but I solo cruise and are a firm believer in the latest electronics.I grew up using stupid radar reflectors,piles of paper charts that were good for a few months if they were any good to begin with,and radios you had to change the crystals on.I'm taking her on one last cruise.I usually provision up and set out of NY harbor with someplace in mind.There's about a 30% chance that's where I'll end up.Wanna visit some friends on the north shore of Jamaica,Barbados,Madagascar.I've got a bad feeling about Haiti,think I'll skip her.I'll never sell her,I'll leave her to my son.He can do whatever he likes.

Double diagonal planked or double carvel?

Any rot? Reasons for wanting to glass?

Old 25-12-2013, 12:37   #21

Double Carvel.No rot whatsoever.Lust thought about glassing below the waterline with some hi-tech stuff like carbon fiber,whatever.I hit an old phone pole once,it was floating about 6 inches below the surface.The old climbing spikes on it poked two holes in my hull and as long as I was underway my bilge pumps kept up with it.I circled around for three hours trying to figure out what to do.I finally waited for high tide and got up a head of steam and ran it into the Hudson River muck on the small boat side of the marina.You had to be there.
Old 25-12-2013, 13:34   #22

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL....Like Sparkman and Stephens?What's under tue bonnet?Gotta be a Bentley!!My dad had an Auburn boattailed speedster when I was a Kid,But nothing like That!!!
Old 25-12-2013, 13:55   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Double Carvel.No rot whatsoever.Lust thought about glassing below the waterline with some hi-tech stuff like carbon fiber,whatever.I hit an old phone pole once,it was floating about 6 inches below the surface.The old climbing spikes on it poked two holes in my hull and as long as I was underway my bilge pumps kept up with it.I circled around for three hours trying to figure out what to do.I finally waited for high tide and got up a head of steam and ran it into the Hudson River muck on the small boat side of the marina.You had to be there.

Doubt I'd recommend glassing this boat up, though it's hard to be sure without seeing it. Unless you just happen to have a boatload of money and time to waste, and are really concerned about incidents like that. Then you could go crazy vacuum bagging a kevlar/s-glass hybrid onto the bottom.Probably best to leave it alone and care for it in the traditional fashion. Bright finishing is a whole 'nother issue...

Old 25-12-2013, 14:47   #24

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Epoxy can hold up to UV if special efforts are taken. This isn't a boat, but it's a 1922 boat-tail Rolls Royce, designed by no less than the late Olin Stephens (the guy at the wheel). It spends much of its time in a garage, but has "cruised" extensively in Scotland and other receptive locales. The construction is Honduran mahogany and Bubinga over oak frames, all sealed in West System 105/207 (some degree of UV protection) and then multiple layers of hand-rubbed clear linear polyurethane (more UV protection). My co-builder, Bob Dixon, in his usual mustache and baseball cap, did most of the heavy lifting, artistically speaking. Lots of clamps are needed to hold the epoxy during the "torturing" of the planks. The first pics are of the roll-out. The last are with all the gear attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 004.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	72719   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 056.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	72720  

Name:	DSC00124.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	72721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 088.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	72722  

Name:	2007-3-12 109.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	72723   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 111.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	72724  

Name:	2007-3-12 110.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	72725   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0043.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	72726  

Name:	PICT0044.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	72727   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0045.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	72728  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 14:53   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Sorry, tried to delete but screwed up. No Bentley, it's a genuine 1922 Rolls frame, engine and wheels. Everything else is custom fabricated to Olin's design sketches. The originals of this era were all fabricated by coachmakers on top of chassis built by Rolls Royce. We were just a few years later, in 2007. This was merely meant to demonstrate that gorgeous wood can be protected (to a degree) by the use of West 207 Special Hardener with UV protection, and the amazing powers of clear LP paint (varnish?). It would be a lot of work on a boat, but some boats are worth the effort and expense. This is a museum quality vehicle, not something that goes out for an ordinary Sunday stroll down the avenue.

Minaret would be an ideal artist to apply such a finish to your "dreamboat".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 14:59   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Sorry, tried to delete but screwed up.
Done.

Coops.
Old 26-12-2013, 11:47   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Boats construction is? Carvel, clinker, strip, cold mold, diagonal? Material?

Glass job. Vaitses method or just a skin? Resin system intended? Any bagging experience? Intended use? Keep it forever or sell someday? When?

Just trying to help out.
See pegleg????

I told you one of the guru's would show up !!!

Knowledge that would take us a lifetime to gather....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
See pegleg????

I told you one of the guru's would show up !!!

Knowledge that would take us a lifetime to gather....
Never doubted it for a minute!I'm old enough to know there's a lotta stuff I don't know...I appreciate well informed and well intentioned opinions.Things seem to change so fast nowadays it seems like there's a whole bunch of "right"choices.I'm gonna treat it like a car.Look good,go fast,and start every time.I can give all the purists a heart attack and mention what I've wanted for a long time....A bow thruster !!So far this morning I've been wondering what would happen if I put a 3-D printer on my weather-fax.
Old 27-12-2013, 11:47   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Never doubted it for a minute!I'm old enough to know there's a lotta stuff I don't know...I appreciate well informed and well intentioned opinions.Things seem to change so fast nowadays it seems like there's a whole bunch of "right"choices.I'm gonna treat it like a car.Look good,go fast,and start every time.I can give all the purists a heart attack and mention what I've wanted for a long time....A bow thruster !!So far this morning I've been wondering what would happen if I put a 3-D printer on my weather-fax.
I think you would blow everybody's minds swinging a Hinkley bow with a thruster.... I for one.... say...

DO IT!!!!!

Almost certain to be the only thruster fitted hull ever....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 12:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I think you would blow everybody's minds swinging a Hinkley bow with a thruster.... I for one.... say...

DO IT!!!!!

Almost certain to be the only thruster fitted hull ever....
I've actually thought about it.15-20kt wind and a 4-5kt current,in the middle of the night.It seems like all the lights make it harder to see,I've actually wished I had one.When I look at my hull,there doesn't even seem like there's a place for one.It'd be dead amidship.Maybe a giant foot controlled trolling motor on the anchor platform.That's really not too terrible an idea.at least I could hide it.I'd probably take off with it down.