Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 14:03   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Hookah DIY Lesson

So I guess I'm going to need a Hookah type system to maintain my "premium" Seahawk bottom paint

I've read through a fair number of Hookah DIY threads here, but figured I would ask of those that put one together: What lessons in the equipment selection would you pass on to others?

I only need it it to clean the boat bottom so mostly it's 2.5' deep with some down to 6.5'.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2019, 14:12   #2
cruiser

Re: Hookah DIY Lesson

We own two Hookah systems not including standard scuba gear which we also maintain onboard. Here's what I recommend and use for a basic system:

1. Porter cable oil free pancake compressor (cost $99) from the HomeDepot.

2. Then purchase the Hose, regulator and connectors direct from Hookamax or Brownie to save yourself the trouble of running around to get the stuff.

3. We have a Thomas professional type compressor on the 62 as recommended by fstbottms on this forum.

4. Don't buy a compressor off HookaMax... they're junk from Harbor Freight and won't hold up in the marine environment.

5. Make sure you buy and use a full head neoprene hood whist cleaning, otherwise you'll get an earful of mini shrimp and critters, also it's a good idea to wear a wetsuit to prevent critters from going other places where you'd prefer them not to go.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 14:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Hookah DIY Lesson

1. Get an oiless compressor, if you have an inverter, go for a 120 VAC one, much less expensive.
I can’t stand the “vibrator” ones like the porter cable or Dewalt pancake ones, so noisy it’s insane. I like a “silent” compressor, about as noisy as a sewing machine, or maybe a little louder.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
get a short hose with a blow gun etc and the air chuck to fill up bike tires, fenders etc. probably too small to run much of a tool with through, so don’t buy a bunch of air tools.
2. Get a hose kit. You want a thick hose initially, that has a swivel and about a 5’ section of lighter more flexible hose for the regulator. You also want a webbed belt it clips to so the hose isn’t trying to pull the reg out of your mouth.
Like this kit
https://www.dixiediver.com/products/c326-hookah-hoses/
There are other sites, probably better prices, just what Google came up with.
3. I bought this “hooka regulator”
Absolute piece of trash, I ended up throwing it away, pure junk. I pulled out a Dive Rite scuba reg I had and adjusted the IP pressure.
Get a dirt cheap scuba reg, you don’t need an easy breathing high speed reg, your not even going 10’ deep, so go cheap. Dive shop can adjust the IP pressure down for you.

Finally get from Home dept or other place a dry wall knife and something like this, they also come as one suction cup which is plenty, next time I will get the ones with one cup, in any current at all, the suction cup is essential, even in no current it’s nice to hold you against the hull so you can work.
You want some weight to get to neutral buoyancy, and a shorty suit is nice, I’ve never needed the full suit and hood to keep critters out, never run into that problem.
https://www.amazon.com/FCHO-Suction-...45&s=hi&sr=1-3

Oh, and I bought too long a hose, maybe 75’ thinking I would dive with it or something. PIA to stuff in a bag and store, now wish I had gotten a 25’ hose and put the compressor in the middle of the boat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 04:45   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
1. Get an oiless compressor, if you have an inverter, go for a 120 VAC one, much less expensive.
I can’t stand the “vibrator” ones like the porter cable or Dewalt pancake ones, so noisy it’s insane. I like a “silent” compressor, about as noisy as a sewing machine, or maybe a little louder.
wow that compressor is 1-2 months shipping
Old 14-05-2019, 05:21   #5

Unless you are going to be in really remote areas where you can't get air fills you might consider using a 50cf scuba tank set on deck instead of a compressor. A 50cf tank would last for probably 6 months of bottom cleaning before you'd need a fill.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 07:05   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Unless you are going to be in really remote areas where you can't get air fills you might consider using a 50cf scuba tank set on deck instead of a compressor. A 50cf tank would last for probably 6 months of bottom cleaning before you'd need a fill.
+1...
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 07:10   #7

Boat: Privilege 435

Having previously researched this, I purchased a Brownies 60' hose with a regulator and a strap/weight belt. The regulator works at a reduced pressure of 55/65psi (which will not work on the higher pressures of a scuba tank). As far as selecting a pump, my calculations say that at rest, I breathe around .3 cubic feet of air per minute. Cleaning my drives is not exactly exercise but lets triple my air needs to 1 cubic feet per minute.

There's You Tube video where a guy has this aquarium pump and uses it for diving his boat bottom.

The stats on this pump shows that it's a 12v pump, draws 10 amps and can pump 5.5 cubic feet per minute but only at a pressure of around 18psi. So, what the hell, I tried it. It does work...but only just. When diving on my drives I could breathe but I had to suck on the regulator quite hard. It was a bit uncomfortable so I decided to upgrade. I've now purchased this 12v pump. It runs at 46 amps but as it has a tank, it should only be drawing that intermittently. Plus, I'll only be diving on sunny days so the panels will provide that anyway!

12V PUMA 125 PSI AIR COMPRESSOR NCPD-1006

I'm in the process of fitting it and will report back when I have finished.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 07:26   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I put one together using a Craftsman Airboss compressor:
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...8aAjHgEALw_wcB
Along with 50' of food grade PVC hose and a used regulator from a dive shop. Before I found a harness I simply tucked the hose through my weight belt.
This rig has paid for itself on the 2 occasions that I needed it to free a fouled anchor, at 15' and 30' deep. It is loud, but I can't hear it underwater.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:18   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

As previously mentioned, the easiest, quickest way to put together a hookah is to order an air hose/regulator assembly from a hookah retailer. I recommend the Air Line by J Sink. Then simply attach that to the oilless compressor of your choice. Yes, you can get by with the cheap, Chinese-made stuff like California Air Tools, Craftsman or pretty much anything you find on the shelf at any hardware store, or you can buy a high quality, pro-level compressor made in this country. I use the Thomas 1207PK80. Gast also makes excellent compressors.

https://airlinebyjsink.com/collectio...oducts/add-dvr

https://www.gd-thomas.com/en/product...07-series.html
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:47   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As previously mentioned, the easiest, quickest way to put together a hookah is to order an air hose/regulator assembly from a hookah retailer. I recommend the Air Line by J Sink. Then simply attach that to the oilless compressor of your choice. Yes, you can get by with the cheap, Chinese-made stuff like California Air Tools, Craftsman or pretty much anything you find on the shelf at any hardware store, or you can buy a high quality, pro-level compressor made in this country. I use the Thomas 1207PK80. Gast also makes excellent compressors.

Could you comment about the reserve tank some of the other compressors have. The store bought systems claim they offer an extra amount of safety if the compressors quits and also reduce power consumption which may be a real consideration to some folks.

I divide hookah rigs into two types; one for very shallow work cleaning boat bottoms and one that also allows diving to say 30 feet or less (I often stay below 20 feet) in areas where I would be free diving other wise.

Bottom line question is for the type of sport diving I do would you suggest a reserve holding tank?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 19:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookah DIY Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
wow that compressor is 1-2 months shipping

It’s the one I bought, don’t know why shipping is so long now, but there are several, just go to Amazon and type silent air compressor into the search, and many will pop up, like this one.
There are other brands too like Hitachi I believe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TTDXX54ZK0DMMS

Also 1 to 2 months? What’s up with that?

However in my opinion, I’d want one that delivers at least 1 cu Ft of air per min at 90 PSI. My SAC rate (surface air consumption) is or was .67 cu Ft per min, but now I’m older and more out of shape, I’m sure it’s higher.
Compressor I have is 2 cu Ft per min, and it turns off a lot, duty cycle seems to be about 50%.
Old 14-05-2019, 19:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookah DIY Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Could you comment about the reserve tank some of the other compressors have. The store bought systems claim they offer an extra amount of safety if the compressors quits and also reduce power consumption which may be a real consideration to some folks.

I divide hookah rigs into two types; one for very shallow work cleaning boat bottoms and one that also allows diving to say 30 feet or less (I often stay below 20 feet) in areas where I would be free diving other wise.

Bottom line question is for the type of sport diving I do would you suggest a reserve holding tank?

Tank isn’t really going to do you any good. Idea is it’s an accumulator that allows intermittent high use, say your using an air tool for 30 sec than stop, the tank would allow for more airflow than the compressor could deliver by itself, then recover.
There is no safety factor as underwater you won’t hear the compressor and won’t know there is no more air, until there isn’t.
Then you just do a free swimming ascent like you were trained to do.

Intermittent use is where a tank saves power too, stop using air and the compressor shuts off. Usually when there is just a compressor with no tank the compressor runs continuously and has either a throttling valve or just a simple pop off valve.
No tank means smaller and lighter, which can be a bonus.

However most of us use these things very intermittently, maybe an hour or so once a month. In that case do you need to pay for “professional grade” equipment? Up to you to decide. I think not, my compressor if it doesn’t die from corrosion from being stored will likely out last me being used 1 hour a month.
Be different if I used it every day, all day of course.
Old 14-05-2019, 20:59   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

I built one on my previous steel boat using a 2 cylinder auto aircon compressor and an SS receiver into the bottom of which I built a felt and SS mesh oil scrubber with a charcoal bag type filter in the top end. The receiver was sleeved and cooling water pumped through the annular section. The receiver portion was 5" thin walled stainless and the assembly was about 3' long. I flushed and cleaned the refrigeration oil out of the compressor and replaced it with hooka lube oil.

Pressure control was via a pressure switch which controlled the electric clutch on the compressor. It was set at about 120psi kick in and 140psi kick out.

I had about 100' of 1/4" hose running from the receiver to the mouthpiece. It was mainly used for cleaning the boat in the marina and lasted a few years before corrosion from condensation got to the valve plate in the compressor.

The compressor was driven from the boats main engine and was also fairly extensively used with air tools to maintain the steel boat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 06:54   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hookah DIY Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

The price for the smaller, I assume cheaper one than you use was about $1,500.
What does the one you use cost?

Actually found one for a decent price, is this the correct one?
http://cfpco.com/Products/Wob-L-Pist...on-Compressors
Old 15-05-2019, 07:12   #15

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We own two Hookah systems not including standard scuba gear which we also maintain onboard. Here's what I recommend and use for a basic system:

1. Porter cable oil free pancake compressor (cost $99) from the HomeDepot.

2. Then purchase the Hose, regulator and connectors direct from Hookamax or Brownie to save yourself the trouble of running around to get the stuff.

3. We have a Thomas professional type compressor on the 62 as recommended by fstbottms on this forum.

4. Don't buy a compressor off HookaMax... they're junk from Harbor Freight and won't hold up in the marine environment.

5. Make sure you buy and use a full head neoprene hood whist cleaning, otherwise you'll get an earful of mini shrimp and critters, also it's a good idea to wear a wetsuit to prevent critters from going other places where you'd prefer them not to go.
These guys did a vid on it recently. https://youtu.be/iFnINZMuKZU

The compressor is an oilless silent type running on DC.
They have the links in description.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY