Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 11:42   #1

How And How Much To Repair This?

Good evening all

I'm interested in a ex charter Dufour 405 grand large for a good price, but with some worn parts here and there (at least from the photos of the broker)

My biggest concern about interior is how to repaint it with exactly the same woodpaint as the original, to doesn't look a panel is completely different from the original's one..

Any idea where to find the original colour's paint?

About the teak deck a little sanding and then teakwonder?

Thanks
Stefano

Click image for larger version

Name:	dof.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	120186

Name:	dof2.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	120187

Name:	<a title=teak.jpg Views: 448 Size: 57.0 KB ID: 120188" style="margin: 2px" />

P.S.
Any advice for buying this models?
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:47   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: How And How Much To Repare This?

From your photos, it doesn't look like the wood is painted. Interior finished wood is usually sanded, stained and varnished. It's not expensive to do it yourself but is very labor intensive. Do a search for 'finishing wood' and it will give you an idea of what needs doing. Of course, you can just paint over it but then it won't look like wood anymore.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:52   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Is it wood or laminate, or a combo of both? If it is laminate, there are paints that will cover it, but I doubt it will ever look right. The teak is a mess! I'd find another boat unless you are prepared to spend big bucks for new decks.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:52   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post

Attachment 120188
Having always avoided teak decks I'm no expert, but from the pic it looks to me it's a little more work then that.

The ... ehh ... black stuff (sorry, don't know the English term for it) looks like it needs to be redone, as far as I can tell.
Not sure if 'a little sanding' is all the teak itself needs - doesn't look too good to me, to put it mildly, but again - never had a teak deck.

As to the interior, Privilege already beat me to it, pretty much
Old 07-03-2016, 12:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How And How Much To Repare This?

With the teak deak.. if it is still thick enough to be worth doing.. and bits of the Sika have risen or come away..
1st you will need to rout out all the Sika between the strips and clean as best as possible.. then apply the primer along the routed sections and re-Sika..
Allow sufficient drying time.. I'd give it a week.. then very carefully and lightly sand till all is even and clean grain is showing again and any surplus Sika has been removed.
For a good job I'd suggest you tape sections between the 'slots' to limit the Sika spreading where not needed..
Its slow and precise work if you wish for good looks and maximum life out of your teak.
Once you've done it.. do NOT use deck brushes on it.. it increases wear and creates grooves in the grain.
Best wishes..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:38   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Those teak decks on the Grand large are not teak strips with black caulking, but are almost certainly laminated teak plates as shown in the picture below. These can be sanded down to clean up the decks, this is a lot less work than laid teak, which needs to be addressed as described above.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How And How Much To Repare This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Those teak decks on the Grand large are not teak strips with black caulking, but are almost certainly laminated teak plates as shown in the picture below. These can be sanded down to clean up the decks, this is a lot less work than laid teak, which needs to be addressed as described above.

Stay extra light with the sander if that's the case..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stay extra light with the sander if that's the case..
Haha, that was my first thought

I don't know if it's glued on, or screwed or both - but if possible, I'd consider removing it before I'd consider trying to fix it.

And if it's laminated teak plates, and looks as it does in the pic the OP posted, can you even sand it down enough?

I was just chatting with a fellow liveaboard here, he has a Pearson 365. Now there's a boat with a serious teak deck, you don't see teak that thick often. A whole damn forest died for that boat
Old 07-03-2016, 12:59   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

You can sand those decks a number of times, but they are usually glued down and removing them will most likely damage them and potentially lead to water ingress. They don't look that bad. I'd carefully wash them with a dilute oxalic acid or perhaps use the 2-part teak-nu cleaner (diluted more than the bottles recommend) to lift out the accumulated grime and show how much grain is left. That will brighten the teak as well, allowing less to be sanded than otherwise.
Old 07-03-2016, 13:00   #10

Regarding Teak wonder or other such products, use at your own risk.

Acid based cleaners destroy the soft cellular grain of teak as well as removing oils in the wood. They do magically "clean" the wood in quick steps but you are doing alot of damge to the wood. It looks like the deck had a sealer on it at some point. Just sanding it all down and re-sealing if you must or letting it grey uniformaly and scrubing regularly is much better for the wood.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 13:50   #11

Thanks all for the many answer.

About interior i wrote bad in english, sorry, i'd mean sand a very little bit and varnish it...i guess it would be the transparent one...did i miss something?

About teak deck, first, big cleaning , brushing very light brushig perpendicular from wood grains, then sika oil if it's all look clean, otherwise very very light sanding, drying, and teak oil...

How much does according to you does a professionel will ask to clean-sand the teak deck and interior very small sanding only where is worn?( chart table edge and down the aft cabin's panel) 1000 euro teak deck and 500 for interior?

Thanks
Ste
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Good evening all

I'm interested in a ex charter Dufour 405 grand large for a good price, but with some worn parts here and there (at least from the photos of the broker)

My biggest concern about interior is how to repaint it with exactly the same woodpaint as the original, to doesn't look a panel is completely different from the original's one..

Any idea where to find the original colour's paint?

Thanks
Stefano

Attachment 120186

Attachment 120187

Attachment 120188

P.S.
Any advice for buying this models?
If all you are going by are broker photos, to this point. Redoing the interior finish sounds to be the least of your concerns. Paint? Good price,
how do you know. The broker said so?

I'm not trying to be crass but it seems you have the wagon before of the horse. : I believe you need to get a lot more experience before considering buying any boat. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If all you are going by are broker photos, to this point. Redoing the interior finish sounds to be the least of your concerns. Paint? Good price,
how do you know. The broker said so?

I'm not trying to be crass but it seems you have the wagon before of the horse. : I believe you need to get a lot more experience before considering buying any boat. JMHO
Yes, i will get to visit the boat in a month (pratically ALL the week end i see at least 3-4 boat, this since 3-4 months, looking quite in the deep of every boat...)

Price is very very good (the lowest on the market...) i was also poiting for a bit better boat but no teak deck, and add flexiteak on the deck...I still wait to visit the boat personally tho...

LOL I appreciate your honest opinion no problem
Old 08-03-2016, 10:22   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Stephano-
I think it is a subtlety in translation, in the US we say "wood paint" to mean a common opaque paint used for house exteriors, porch floors, walls, ceilings, wood furniture painted in various colors such as gray, green, red, or white.
The interior woodwork on a boat is usually "stained" not "painted". Wood stain would be typically a mixture of pigments in a transparent base, like oil or shellac or varnish.
So assuming that you mean "wood stain", you may be able to get the exact information from Dufour, I believe they are still very much in business although they have never been large in the US market.
If you cannot get the answer from Dufour, or the products they use are not available to you, it is common for woodworkers to match the color of stains by eye. They will recognize the type of wood and general color of the stain, and then they will use similar stains, mixed and blended and tested on a sample of the new wood, until they find a combination that matches well.
Any carpenter or cabinetmaker that works on home or boat interiors or floors either knows how to do this, or can refer you to someone who does. It mainly requires some patience, and buying several different cans of stain, then just being patient about trying to get a match by mixing them. I suspect that if you removed one of the interior panels, and brought it to any woodworking shop along with the new unfinished panel, they would be quite reasonable about doing the job for you. One less thing for you to worry about that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28   #15

Quote:
Price is very very good (the lowest on the market...)
Makes you wonder