Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 09:39   #1

Boat: Contest 40
How do I keep track of my refit

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting the process of refitting my Contest 40. I thought some of you might be interested in how I'm keeping track of the progress and budget.

Here are some read-only links to my trello board, which I use to keep track of the jobs that I need to do.

https://trello.com/b/xAUoolYv/boat-stuff

Trello really helps me organize things that are in different stages of completion. At a moments glance, I should know what I'm going to be working on during my next trip to the marina, what I need to buy, and links with relevant information or pricing.

This is a read-only link to my excel sheet where I keep track of my expenditures. I pretty much filled in the single-time expenses before I started this project. In places where something unexpected comes up, I'll put a 0 in the expected column. It helps me keep track of where I overspend, underspend, or poorly estimate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm not sure where I fall on the demographic distribution here, but if you are interested in my project, feel free to follow along, and if you have suggestions, send them my way!

P.S. I also opened up commenting on the spreadsheet as an experiment. Have at it!
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 10:55   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: How do I keep track of my refit

You do it for yourself or is it a project you have been contracted for?

I am surprised refitting a 40 footer requires any project management.

However, when I do things on big boats I use exactly the attitude you talk about: a web based project management software plus an xls on my local machine. Just remember to sync these up on a regular basis (some software can sync data across local/remote machines).

If you do not need a remote copy, using xls sheets only can be faster and simpler, with smaller projects.

A tip that might help: never DELETE items that got done. Always keep them in the data bank - just grey out or otherwise mark as DONE. Do not ask me how I learned this.

Wishing you a happy outfit!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 11:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You do it for yourself or is it a project you have been contracted for?

I am surprised refitting a 40 footer requires any project management.

However, when I do things on big boats I use exactly the attitude you talk about: a web based project management software plus an xls on my local machine. Just remember to sync these up on a regular basis (some software can sync data across local/remote machines).

If you do not need a remote copy, using xls sheets only can be faster and simpler, with smaller projects.

A tip that might help: never DELETE items that got done. Always keep them in the data bank - just grey out or otherwise mark as DONE. Do not ask me how I learned this.

Wishing you a happy outfit!

Cheers,
b.
Hey Barnakiel,
Thanks for the tips! I come from a software consulting background, so I figured why not take some things that I've learned to keep me organized?

I'm doing the refit on my own. Apparently, the PO(1st) had all maintenance done by Conyplex, but was really just using the boat for inland sailing. I'm trying to get her bluewater ready, so there is a lot of stuff to keep track of.

What project management software do you use? Do you think that I'm missing anything in my swim lanes?

+1 for never deleting entries Gotta keep track of all that work you've accomplished!
Old 28-12-2016, 12:11   #4

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I just do my project to do list on my website. I add things as I discover new ones and move completed projects to a Done list. I keep a separate excel spreadsheet for all expenses.
Old 28-12-2016, 13:09   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sounds interesting, teddy. But I for one will never use trello, because it requires Javascript to be enabled. New ransomware strain coded entirely in Javascript - BBC News That link to the BBC is one of many discussing how ransomware is just one of the vulnerabilities you are opened up to when you run Javascript. Be careful out there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 13:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sounds interesting, teddy. But I for one will never use trello, because it requires Javascript to be enabled. New ransomware strain coded entirely in Javascript - BBC News That link to the BBC is one of many discussing how ransomware is just one of the vulnerabilities you are opened up to when you run Javascript. Be careful out there.
Hello Hellosailer,
To each their own I guess. I'm very comfortable with computers, so running javascript(on a linux machine as well) doesn't particularly concern me. Most of the applications I use are cloud based, and all my data is synced online, so losing control of the computer wouldn't be an issue. Just need to wipe it and reformat.

Just as a heads up, this article is about javascript based email attachments running once downloaded, and utilizes the Windows Script Host to run. Due to the sandbox principle, loading JS inside of your browser won't open you up to any real malware(well, you never know), but it will certainly enable sites to track you.

Javascript has become part of the fabric of the internet whether we like it or not, and I think the benefits outweigh the risks.
Old 28-12-2016, 16:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post

What project management software do you use? Do you think that I'm missing anything in my swim lanes?
This depends exclusively on what base my client has. I simply plug into their PM stream, even if this requires some training or investment (hardly ever as clients tend to hold multiple software licences).

Of the top of my head I have already worked with: MS Projects (probably the most common), Teamwork Projects, Zoho, Wrike, Asana, Basecamp ... and then some less common things too. Frankly, I would only ever deploy MS Projects in my own undertakings - I like stuff to be compatible, transferable and readable, ALSO 10 years down the road.

Stupidly, I found that one thing works for me every time: get a big clean sheet (at least A3 size, bigger better) hang it in your work area and try to fit all your original ideas regarding inputs / processes / outputs, the timeline and the budget on it. Sort of like a very very general city map of a city you are about to visit. Now hang it face down. Now do not touch this sheet for a week but keep on mentally coming back to it every day. Should you discover that you missed any important detail IMMEDIATELY send yourself a telltale txt or a voice msg to your own phone. Repeat every day. Now at the end of the week simply come back to the big sheet, listen to all the messages you sent yourself and add / correct / improve the plan.

I know this sounds silly, but I am very very visually driven and such a 'project mind map' helps me immensely get from the initial chaos to a pretty much kind of a plan in about a week. I normally use one week lead in time for all projects I control, before I start picking up phones, ordering parts and contracting people. I think one week is about normal for the subliminal part of the brain to process the idea and spit out the most obvious pitfalls, warning signs and shortcut/detour ;-) pointers.

Probably every person is different though.

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-12-2016, 17:32   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This depends exclusively on what base my client has. I simply plug into their PM stream, even if this requires some training or investment (hardly ever as clients tend to hold multiple software licences).

Of the top of my head I have already worked with: MS Projects (probably the most common), Teamwork Projects, Zoho, Wrike, Asana, Basecamp ... and then some less common things too. Frankly, I would only ever deploy MS Projects in my own undertakings - I like stuff to be compatible, transferable and readable, ALSO 10 years down the road.

Stupidly, I found that one thing works for me every time: get a big clean sheet (at least A3 size, bigger better) hang it in your work area and try to fit all your original ideas regarding inputs / processes / outputs, the timeline and the budget on it. Sort of like a very very general city map of a city you are about to visit. Now hang it face down. Now do not touch this sheet for a week but keep on mentally coming back to it every day. Should you discover that you missed any important detail IMMEDIATELY send yourself a telltale txt or a voice msg to your own phone. Repeat every day. Now at the end of the week simply come back to the big sheet, listen to all the messages you sent yourself and add / correct / improve the plan.

I know this sounds silly, but I am very very visually driven and such a 'project mind map' helps me immensely get from the initial chaos to a pretty much kind of a plan in about a week. I normally use one week lead in time for all projects I control, before I start picking up phones, ordering parts and contracting people. I think one week is about normal for the subliminal part of the brain to process the idea and spit out the most obvious pitfalls, warning signs and shortcut/detour ;-) pointers.

Probably every person is different though.

Cheers,
b.
Yes I'm different! I had 40+ years as Project Manager on large complex Construction Projects-mostly before the computer mania. I have also rebuilt several 40+ sailboats . I just use my memory and a 8.5X14 yellow pad with a simple Do List.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Yes I'm different! I had 40+ years as Project Manager on large complex Construction Projects-mostly before the computer mania. I have also rebuilt several 40+ sailboats . I just use my memory and a 8.5X14 yellow pad with a simple Do List.
Yep. I was writing in reference to OP's question asking specifically what software I use when I participate in, or run, projects.

The boats I work on/for are basically btw 70 and 100 ft. They are often run by teams that require you to be conversant with such software as team members can be spread over many locations and also you have people come and go and others taking up where the dropouts had left. etc.

You can see some way up this thread that we found xls sheets pretty adequate for all basic smaller scale project management ideas.

I am by no means an advocate of over-doing it on the IT front. Simply work with and contract well proven and reliable people and you are mostly set (until there are very many people involved and the timing is tight).

My own boat is only 26ft long, so I basically 'just go ahead' with all our own boat projects.

Cheers,
b.
Old 29-12-2016, 02:27   #10

Quote:
This is exactly what I do, and I'm glad you mentioned it because I would have never thought to bring it up. I sat down at the computer at the beginning, and just brain dumped my ideas into Trello. Then I didn't look at it again for a week, and whenever something came up, I would jot it down on my phone(why do the best ideas always come when on the toilet or in the shower? Thought for another day). The subconscious mind is always chewing over the project. Finally, once I had a general overview of the project, I started adding line items to the budget.

Geoleo, my system is just a digital version of the 8.5x14 method I actually find it simpler than paper having grown up as a "digital native". Now there is no paper to lose! It helps me when I need to switch context from project overview mode to get-shiz-done mode.

Ultimately, I think Barnakiel has it right when he says just work with proven and reliable people. I'd add that it is also best to work with proven and reliable tools. I know where my particular strengths lie, so I will leverage them for the best outcome.

Oh and one other great thing about seeing your budget laid out in front of you is prevention of gear acquisition syndrome. If it isn't on the list, you're damn sure I'm going to think twice about buying something and putting it in red.
Old 29-12-2016, 02:40   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

"Should you discover that you missed any important detail IMMEDIATELY send yourself a telltale txt or a voice msg to your own phone."

I couldn't live without evernote now..

With google voice enabled you just say "OK google", then "note to self, add paint the deck to refit"
and it adds it as a note in evernote. Works OK in quiet places but not so good when noisy. Great when you've got your head under the engine as well "note to self, dimension for bracket is 214mm" or whatever.
I also use mind maps for planning, great to zoom in and out from tiny details of part numbers to the big overall picture.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 06:15   #12

Maybe the fact that many good ideas come to mind (while in shower or on the toilet) could be related to relaxation.

This is also why working very hard in periods then doing absolutely no work in between the working fits is often the preferred method with very creative people. Deep ideas need seeding, incubation and a tranquil mind to surface upon.

Probably someone has already researched this ...

Science Explains Why Our Best Ideas Come in the Shower

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-great-i...t-or-in-a-bath

Amazing that we can come to such details talking boats and project managements!

Cheers,
b.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:23   #13

Very true... Now if only I can figure out why anyone would install two handle faucets on a boat...
Old 29-12-2016, 11:18   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Really great to see someone else's task tracker + spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing!

I use Google Sheets. For me a cloud option is really important because I update my projects from many locations / devices. I use the "Available Offline" option to pin the spreadsheet to my Android phone and tablets so I always have it even while cruising in areas with no internet.

After 2 years my spreadsheet has grown to 12 tabs plus another spreadsheet with 4 tabs for rerig planning. It's a bit out of control. But some of these projects get quite complex (a haulout always gets its own sheet now). And since I'm forgetful I write down a lot of details that I couldn't easily fit into a scrum-style tracker like Trello.

By the way I saw you have 2k euro budgeted for "sails". Either you're planning to get a "sail" (singular), or sails are a lot cheaper in Amsterdam than where I am! A good 135 genoa is 3k here (USD; but euro-usd are near par now - 1:1.05). No way I could get a decent main and foresail for 2k.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 12:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Really great to see someone else's task tracker + spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing!

I use Google Sheets. For me a cloud option is really important because I update my projects from many locations / devices. I use the "Available Offline" option to pin the spreadsheet to my Android phone and tablets so I always have it even while cruising in areas with no internet.

After 2 years my spreadsheet has grown to 12 tabs plus another spreadsheet with 4 tabs for rerig planning. It's a bit out of control. But some of these projects get quite complex (a haulout always gets its own sheet now). And since I'm forgetful I write down a lot of details that I couldn't easily fit into a scrum-style tracker like Trello.

By the way I saw you have 2k euro budgeted for "sails". Either you're planning to get a "sail" (singular), or sails are a lot cheaper in Amsterdam than where I am! A good 135 genoa is 3k here (USD; but euro-usd are near par now - 1:1.05). No way I could get a decent main and foresail for 2k.
Haha! I can see my spreadsheet getting out of control. Before I published it, it was around 7 sheets of information all over the place. Airing it out a little bit helped

Thanks for the heads up on "sails". It's more budgeting incase there is something that I missed originally. She already has a full complement of sails, but I'm starting to think I would like to get a gennaker as well so I may have to increase that estimate.

Tags
refit