Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 21:03   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: How do I know if they're blisters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
The cal 20 hull is pretty thin. I guess I just need to sulk about it for a bit, and then accept that I'll have to start saving for another boat before too long. Maybe it'll last awhile.

I haven't been able to do any work on it for a few weeks because of finals, but I'll be getting back to it next week and then I'll have a better idea of just how extensive the hydrolysis is. If it's isolated in a few places I can grind away and lay up some fiberglass without having to alter my repair plans too much. If it's everywhere I don't see an efficient way to grind the whole hull down without having to invest in a power planer or something that would strip it. And I'm not really sure it would be worth the time and expense for what, in perfect restored condition, would be a $3,000 boat.
OH! It's a Cal 20. I say clean them, dry them, patch them, paint it, sail it and don't waste a single moment of sleep over it! That's a tough little boat that will most likely outlive you no matter what you do.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 18:57   #47

Re: How do I know if they're blisters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OH! It's a Cal 20. I say clean them, dry them, patch them, paint it, sail it and don't waste a single moment of sleep over it! That's a tough little boat that will most likely outlive you no matter what you do.
Possibly the only message that's included a prediction about something outliving me that made me happy.
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters