Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2023, 13:36   #1

how do i make this look respectable again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA6DAA2C-588C-489B-B9ED-AF8C0F192B0E.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	273786

Name:	0CE19865-297A-4D22-A0B5-ED6E47A7A349.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	273787

Name:	532B5027-F22B-469B-B51A-0E00B283C2DF.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	273788

free sailboat turning into a few grand of work i just glassed in that starboard chainplate the other day and im working on the other side now.. what do i do here? sand everything? then what
72islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 13:45   #2

Re: how do i make this look respectable again?

Name:	EE88BD07-623E-49D8-B374-D676679041D1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	273789

Name:	F5D3F808-E981-4121-824F-A70E13F8FE9F.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	273790

Name:	158DC4D7-FE6B-48AF-853C-082C49DC033A.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	273791

Name:	6A7C41CC-0257-4F36-AF4A-F2DD61E656B3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	273792

Name:	0330F2D5-4008-42BF-9399-C10AAFBE52E6.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	273793

Name:	C79AFDAF-32A5-4234-8A26-DEBE1426FB54.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	273794

full refit 2gm yanmar going in 1972 islander 30 mkii basically pulled all cabinetry out but have NO idea what im doing
Old 07-04-2023, 13:14   #3

170 views and nobody could give me a lick of advice huh?
Old 07-04-2023, 13:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpapalcure View Post
Details. Specific questions about specific things would likely help.
Post #1 talks about a chainplate but no pic of a chainplate.
"Sanding" what?
etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:16   #5

Boat: Moody 376

A few years against I did a refurb on a boat that sat on the hard for nearly a decade.

Get the boat working so can can enjoy the boat while you work on it.

It’s going to be a glorified day sailor while you do this, it if gives your opportunity to still enjoy it while you work on it.

Sand and varnish goes a long way on the wood bits. Sand carefully so not to burn through the veneer

Looks like you need a lot of the soft bits in th cabin. Cushions, and such.

Sanding and fairing the hull inside and coat with paint or epoxy in some batten to screw down some sheathing, or spray adhesive and vinyl

Lots of option. You pretty much have a blank canvas
marcjsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You have a LOT of different projects. Good Old Boat magazine has 2 or 3 smaller projects every issue. Look them up and get the digital archive. Gloss through them marking the ones that may be of use to you.

You will learn more faster than here. And them if you have specific questions you can ask here.

https://goodoldboat.com/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 14:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

how do you make this look respectable again... ???

short answer...elbow grease...lots of it... !!

I give this advice to many people....you can only eat the elephant one bite at a time....
focus on one section...get that done...and move on to the next....don't try to tackle a half dozen projects at a time...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 15:21   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

More than a few grand to get that looking good again. You have cabinetry work, brightword (varnish), plumbing work, electrical work, headliners, sewing projects. And that isn't even touching the structure/rigging/sails/steering which you didn't provide pictures of.

A lot of elbow grease for sure. Depending on the quality/level of finish you want, the sky is the limit on cost. But at the low end, more than a few grand.

Addressing only the first picture. It looks like there might be water damage on the bulkhead. Check that out and address that first. Once that is known to be structurally sound and not subject to more water, you can sand and refinish all the teak. You might need to apply a teak veneer and replace teak trim to get it to look nice again. You will probably need to R&R the portlights during that work. Then everything white can be cleaned and painted. Then you need to make a new drawer to replace missing, build a new table top, and make new seat cushions.

That first picture alone could be $10k and many hours of work if you do a quality job. Or, paint it all white and buy cushions for outdoor furniture from Home Depot, call it done and accept what that looks like.

Second picture is much the same but is missing the stove and numerous cabinet pieces. You get the idea.
Old 07-04-2023, 15:59   #9

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Hopefully, you have a lot of the stuff missing from the pictures. Cabinet doors, access panels, drawers, cushions, etc. If not, that is a job that is extremely challenging. I built an entire kitchen from scratch, doors drawers etc, so it can be done, but what a job!

Some of the posts of thread mentioned sanding and varnishing. Depending upon the inherent quality of the boat and the current condition of parts (or absence of parts!) varnishing may not be the best bet. Paint can cover stains, chips that get filled with wood putty, veneer that has been sanded through, or parts that have been duplicated in shape, but not matching in wood.

Interior hull surfaces can be painted, and it is done, but a very common finish is either a heavy vinyl wallpaper or a thin indoor outdoor carpet. These finishes soften blemishes in the hull surface, can help dampen sound, can provide a bit of insulation, and can block the sunlight that will penetrate through a glass hull.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 17:37   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Also don't glass in the chainplate, it's a really bad idea
Old 14-04-2023, 17:37   #11

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

You'd be amazed how much a can of good paint can clean up the appearance of a boat. Inside or out. A palm sander and varnish can go a long way where you want to keep wood showing. It can take years of puttering to bring a boat back to its prime. Best bet is to make the boat mechanically sound first, then work on appearance and usability.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 21:27   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpapalcure View Post
Possibly because there is so very much to be done, and we are feeling overwhelmed, too.... You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

You have some cleaning and painting and construction and more painting.

You have systems to design and execute: electric; fuel; plumbing; and galley.

Have you looked at sailboatdata.com for information on the original fitout? What do you want to change? (be specific about the changes).

There's plenty of people around here who have restored boats, but you didn't ask any question in sufficient detail for one of us to reasonably address it.

You will want to keep whoever's in the quarterberth from falling into the engine space, so you'll have to think about what is lightweight that you can latch to keep closed and open up and hold out of the way when you need to access the area. Those are big holes, and weaken the structure, you may want to reinforce the rims of the holes. If you go for plywood, you will want to seal it with epoxy, then use epoxy primer in it before painting with any other paint. This is just a "for instance." But you see, all you have is a lot of torn up space now, and you need to have a space long enough to sleep on, and a bunch of other spaces, as well. You need some specific goals, and we also need to know if you have tools, are competent with them, and if it will all be "bargain basement", or what.

In other words, you can turn off people or involve them in helping you, your choice.

Ann