Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 14:35   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
How do I Remove this Window?

Ok, I really thought I could work around this window and just paint around it and whatever.. But i've about had it with it, half the time I forget to tape it off and have to run for the tape in the middle, the other half the time I find i'm scratching the crap out of it with sandpaper and will have to repolish and buff the whole thing.

How do I remove this thing?? I have tried a heat gun, I have tried a propane torch, i have tried turning it, prying it from the front and from the back, I have tried hitting it with a hammer where I think it should seperate and no dice. It doesn't budge.

Short of cutting a larger hole around it, any ideas?
Attached Images

natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 14:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
I can't tell but, is there any chance those "bumps" could be rivets?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 14:44   #3

Re: How do I remove this window?

Sorry, the picture is kind of bad. It's all I have. The bumps/holes there are where the screws used to be. No rivets as far as I can tell.
Old 19-11-2013, 14:56   #4

How about a MultiTool such as this http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-n...6-00005190890a

They do a pretty good job of flush cutting.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 15:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
Sorry, the picture is kind of bad. It's all I have. The bumps/holes there are where the screws used to be. No rivets as far as I can tell.
Ah, so it was put in using 5200 as a sealant? Better get used to it, maybe you can decorate it? Make it look like something else?

I have no idea, but would guess something like 5200 may be holding it in, I assume it appears that there is an inside and an outside to this thing, held together with screws?
If so any way you may work in something thin and sharp, like maybe a putty knife to cut the sealant if that's whats holding the thing together? Just guessing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 19:02   #6

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

If you can do it, maybe a wooden beam or length of pipe across the cabin and a screw jack supported on a large pad and just press it out.

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 21:13   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
The bumps/holes there are where the screws used to be. No rivets as far as I can tell.
I assume you removed them.

If it's being held in with a 5200 or other sealer, use a piano string lubed with an oil. Pull it down behind the flange and seesaw it all the way around. On both sides if needed. Then push it out.

Make sure it doesn't go over board.
Old 20-11-2013, 00:01   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

AS Delmarrey said...
Start with a Razor blade cutting away the sealant under the metal flange. Then use piano wire or similar to completely separate the sealant from itself
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 13:08   #9

Awesome... As suggested, started with a razor blade and managed to get it to slide under the entire outer edge. Was then able to get a thin putty knife under followed by a screwdriver and if finally gave up with the screwdriver.

Guess what it was sealed with?? Not 5200.. Not 4000... Nope. Silicone! explains why even the torch didn't have much effect on it. I should have figured as much considering almost every other hatch and window is bedded with silicone. The real trick was getting under the flange far enough and with enough leverage to pry the bond apart.
Old 21-11-2013, 13:21   #10

If that is the home hardware type of silicone, you're not going to be able to use a marine sealant to put it back. It won't stick to a silicone residue. You'll have to use a butyl tape, which some prefer any way since it's self healing. And windows are the worst for trying to keep sealed, due to the twisting/flexing of the hull.
Old 21-11-2013, 13:35   #11

if I am to believe the extra unused tube that I inherited with the boat it is a marine silicone (west marine brand). But who knows. I plan to spend whatever time it takes to clean the surface and area of all silicone.

Thanks for the butyl tape tip, I haven't quite decided what I am going to rebed everything with yet.
Old 21-11-2013, 13:56   #12

Re: How do I Remove this Window?

The cheap WM stuff isn't much better. It even smells like the hardware stuff. It impregnates into the gelcoat/fiberglass. It would take lots of elbow grease with MEK to clean enough to stick IMO.
Old 21-11-2013, 13:56   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Silicon doesn't belong on a boat, period.

My hubby was having a hard time removing a Dorade. I whipped out a ultra thin putty knife and got to work. One minute later Dorade is free. Guys gotta remember a little finesse can go a long way. Call me crazy, I love 5200.
Old 21-11-2013, 14:34   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Silicon doesn't belong on a boat, period.
Gee, that's hard to justify in several ways! First, silicon is a major constituent of fibreglass and silicon bronze and other common boat building materials.

Second, I suspect that you were actually condemning silicone as in sealants and adhesives, now, weren't you? And that is a debatable position. There are some excellent uses for silicone based adhesives in boating. One such is glazing, where silicone adhesives are commonly used to hold hatch clears and ports in place, often without the use of any mechanical fasteners.

There are certainly many instances of folks misusing silicone products, perhaps with bad results, but the same can certainly be said for urethane and polysulphide based products as well.

I now stray into areas where I'm only opining, but I believe that the tales of "impossible to clean off" are somewhat exaggerated. I have had reasonable success in re-sticking various things onto areas where a silicone adhesive once lived. PErhaps I have been lucky...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-11-2013, 14:45   #15

There are many grades for silicone sealants but the cheap crap that is use around home sinks and tubs is slippery and leaves a residue behind that takes toxic chemicals to remove, but not impossible.

The nice thing about marine sealants is one doesn't even have to get it all off. One can put another layer over some of the old and as long as the old bond is good so is the job. Can't do that with hardware silicone. At least, not in my neighborhood.

Tags
wind