Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2024, 16:57   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: How do you store your tools on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
I have serveral 5-gallon buckets. Got a small cloth bag of silica and it keeps things pretty dry. (I leave that bag in the sun for a while if I get a chance)

Microwaving it for a few minutes is the fast way. It will change color when regenerated. Or a low pan or a low oven.

Leaving it in the sun won't do anything, except allow it to pull more water from the air. Silca gel does NOT dry in the sun. It has to reach boiling. That's the chemistry and why it works so well. It really holds on to water.
Old 13-04-2024, 19:17   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaxton View Post
I like waterproof ammo boxes.

Same here. After trying a few different boxes, i found that plastic ammo boxes are sturdy, lock & seal well, and they don't burst open if the box gets tosed around.
Old 14-04-2024, 04:12   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I have a workshop that used to be a stateroom. I have a workbench and there is a 5 slide out drawer tool cabinet (Craftsman plastic) built into the front of one side, and under the workbench on the other side the top hinges up exposing a large storage area.

Inside I keep all of the misc specialty sets like compression tester, multitool, electrical repair kit, sail repair kit, plumbing, etc in canvas tool bags purchased at Harbor Freight for about $5.00 ea on sale.

Since all the bags look the same (12 or so) I had some "sailing" business cards printed up with my logo. On the back of the card I use a label maker to define the contents and laminated the card with a $25 luggage tag laminator. The card is attached to the bag handle with the clear lanyard.

This is working out great because I can quickly identify the tool I need and all the misc accessories for each tool are always with the tool.
A dedicated workshop is the only really satisfactory way to do this.

Modern cruising boats seem to be designed to sail from port to port, with full array of marine service providers in every one.

I have sort of converted a passage cabin on my boat to a more or less permanent workshop. The mattress for the pilot berth there becomes a problem to store when the other 6 berths on the boat are full.

It's not really satisfactory because there there is not enough cabinet space and no proper workbench with a vice. But a lot better than nothing.

I keep tools in 6 different tool bags:
1. Everyday tools in a canvas rigger's bag.
2. Wrenches in their own bag.
3. Heavier and/or more rarely used tools in a large bag.
4. Electrical tools, #1
5. Electrical tools, #2
6. Plumbing tools.

These normally live in the space where the pilot berth mattress would otherwise be. If someone is sleeping there, then it's a problem -- most of them go to the floor in my cabin and the rest under my feet at the nav station.

Then power tools have their own space under the salon sole, and really rarely used tools (tap & die sets, impact wrenches, etc.) in one space under one salon settee.

In addition I have numerous Plano brand ammo boxes with nuts, bolts, spare parts, etc., and some of those compartment trays with transparent lids for plumbing parts, misc mechanical parts.

I have a special ammo box for emergency impeller replacement in a ready place in the engine room.

One of the main reasons why I would love to build a custom boat would be to solve this problem in a really comprehensive way. Dedicated, spacious workshop (could be inside a large engine room) with bench and vise. A million drawers for parts and supplies. Pegboard for tools.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 04:44   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Same here. After trying a few different boxes, i found that plastic ammo boxes are sturdy, lock & seal well, and they don't burst open if the box gets tosed around.

Same here. Ammo boxes are the best -- they stack well, they are sturdy, waterproof.

I have always used Plano ones, but you can now get much cheaper generic ones on Amazon, which look quite as good as the more expensive ones from Plano:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Pla...%2C196&sr=8-43
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat