Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 15:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau 381 38'
How much Draft?

I want to start by thanking eveyone for their insights. I am on this forum regualrly as a newbe and have gathered a wealth of information. My wife and I are looking for a new boat. Our plan to retire and live aboard full time in the Carribean is 3 years away. We have decided the right boat for us is a 37-39 ft. We are leaning towards a Hunter 376. I have found one but I am concerned about the keel. She draws 6' 6" and from what I have read this may make areas around the Bahama's inaccessible (or at the very least would have the starfish ducking!). Can anyone share their thoughts? I know this model is also available with a winged keel that draws 5' but I have found what I believe to be a really good deal.
sailor_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:25   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: How much Draft?

Don't worry about the 6 1/2 foot draft. Quite doable in the Bahamas. Lots of threads on this topic.
Old 09-07-2012, 15:27   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

My last boat drew 5'4" and when it went aground on that big wing keel it was stuck good.

My new boat is the deep draft verison of 6'4" and has never been aground, but I'm sure I will have a better chance of getting it off the whatever!

But while both boat sailed in normal conditions just as good; when the wind picks up and gusts are hitting you the deep draft ready stands up better.

I would never go back to a shoal draft unless it was a swing keel. Sure there are some places I wouldn't go, but hey I probably wouldn't have gone in those with the shal draft either. How much risk are you going to accept to get into water 1.5' shallower instead of anchoring where you are safe?

PS - your question is a common one, use the search feature and you will find lots of threads for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 16:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau 381 38'

Thank-you both for your insights. I know I have read different things about draft and I did search first but thought it easier to cut to the chase. Also wanted to thani Don for the comment about preference. I have not compared the different hulls in weather so I really appreciate the insight.
sailor_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:21   #5
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
My last boat drew 5'4" and when it went aground on that big wing keel it was stuck good.

My new boat is the deep draft verison of 6'4" and has never been aground, but I'm sure I will have a better chance of getting it off the whatever!

But while both boat sailed in normal conditions just as good; when the wind picks up and gusts are hitting you the deep draft ready stands up better.

I would never go back to a shoal draft unless it was a swing keel. Sure there are some places I wouldn't go, but hey I probably wouldn't have gone in those with the shal draft either. How much risk are you going to accept to get into water 1.5' shallower instead of anchoring where you are safe?

PS - your question is a common one, use the search feature and you will find lots of threads for it.

So was it mud that you got the wing keel stuck in?
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 16:53   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
So was it mud that you got the wing keel stuck in?
All I know was that it was soft, which was good! As the tide kept going out the boat didn't even lean over, just stood up on the keel with the water below the hull.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43   #7

It's really a question of pros and cons. With a 6'6" draft you will have to pay a lot more attention to depths, and there will be more places that you can't go, than if you had a, say, 5' draft. But that doesn't mean that you can't go anywhere "good," or that you are always going to have to stay in the middle of all of the channels. You will just be a little more limited and will have to be a little more careful.

If you can do that then you get the advantages of the deeper draft when you are out and about. Is that advantage enough to make the deeper draft worth it? Only you can answer that.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft