Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 17:18   #46

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: How to fix these buried chainplates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post

I would not do anything without their advice.

Bill Murdoch
You mean before or after you've ripped them out?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:29   #47

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
Hey folks,

I just bought a Crealock 40 that needs some chainplate work. I did get a $5k discount for that so hopefully it's win.

3 are leaking which has caused mold where it's dripped down.

How do I go about cutting them out, inspecting, repairing? Also holding mast up if removed?

My Cascade has a similar arrangement. In that vintage they're more likely to be 306. If they have been leaking like that for a number of years, you'd be wise to pull them out as crevice corrosion is almost impossible to detect by just drilling holes. There are also tools you can use that won't spread grinding dust all over the place. It's also possible to do them in pairs, of you loosen up the rig. Be patient, you'll manage it ok.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:40   #48

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Forgot to add that people that make such 'improvements' rarely perform adequate preparations, like grinding or cleaning the surface before glassing, and it may be entirely possible to just grab the edge of the mat with a pair of pliers and peel it right off...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:54   #49

Anyone interested in Crevice Corrosion might like to look at this authoritative article.

Crevices and Corrosion

https://www.assda.asn.au/technical-i...-and-corrosion

"This is why crevice attack can be a problem in a salty swimming pool but not in a water tank">fresh water tank."

Mine can only get wet by fresh (rain) water but my deck doesn't leak so I won't have a problem.........?
Old 20-02-2021, 18:05   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Forgot to add that people that make such 'improvements' rarely perform adequate preparations, like grinding or cleaning the surface before glassing, and it may be entirely possible to just grab the edge of the mat with a pair of pliers and peel it right off...
With my yacht it would be an absolute nightmare to prepare the area for re-glassing properly (including removal of some furniture).

It is a cored hull but solid glass where the chain-plates are. (maybe 20mm thick) Perhaps a realistic solution would be to bolt replacement chain-plates to the hull?
Old 20-02-2021, 18:30   #51

Boat: Columbia 36

The Crealock and PS might be the same design, but if they were built by different yards things like this could be completely different. Construction details like this might be shown in the plans but the builder is free to do it any way they want.
Anyway, encapsulating them like that was a really bad idea. Stainless steel needs free oxygen to form it's protective coating. Without it it's just a weaker alloy of mild steel. I'd cut those plates out of the glass, clean them up and inspect. Replace if they show any signs of corrosion.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 19:04   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
With my yacht it would be an absolute nightmare to prepare the area for re-glassing properly (including removal of some furniture).

It is a cored hull but solid glass where the chain-plates are. (maybe 20mm thick) Perhaps a realistic solution would be to bolt replacement chain-plates to the hull?
Well, yes, if it comes to that, there is that option.

My suggestion is based on the assumption that my hypothesis that a previous owner just slapped some CSM over the area to dress it up is correct.

If it is, it is possible that the CSM can be simply peeled away because of the
lack of adherance due to insufficient bonding to an ill or under-prepared surface; the suggestion is meant only to reveal the condition of the existing plates.

What needs to be done after their condition is acertained will be determined by that condition.

Personally, I like the idea of external chainplates, even if they detract slightly from the sleek look of a vessel that already has that quality in spades, but I'm a mean person who thinks that form follows function...8 less holes (if the picture supplied by the OP is his boat) in the deck equals 8 less chances for water to get on the wrong side.
Old 20-02-2021, 23:03   #53

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Creala 40

I have found some information that says the boat is a Creala 40 from Crealock. Built in the Phillipines. Only 5 made. The Pacific Seacraft was made from these boats. US company not related to that one.
WaldPinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 00:55   #54

I don't know how salt water can get into my embedded chain-plates?

(The photos were taken by my new $50 plastic camera I bought off eBay which I find works well!)

The chain-plate is 316 SS and installed up against the deck shelf and very, very heavily fiber-glassed. The mast rigging is attached to the deck ? which are a type of inverted "U" bolt welded to a SS plate and bolted onto the internal chain-plate. (The guy that rigged Australian's entrant to The Americas Cup (Trevor Helliar) had a look at it and gave it the )

jimbunyard I agree with you but without further information none of us can draw any conclusion as to the state of the chain-plates.

I firmly believe WaldPinkler should take Bill Murdoch's advice to "Contact either Steve Brodie, the owner, or more to the point, Thumper Brooks, the operations manager" and contact the Crealock Owner's Forums and the Manufacturer (?) But in this case someone in the Philippines? (That's a worry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC006.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	232964   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC005.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	232965  

Old 21-02-2021, 01:23   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
I have found some information that says the boat is a Creala 40 from Crealock. Built in the Phillipines. Only 5 made. The Pacific Seacraft was made from these boats. US company not related to that one.
Maybe you can glean some more information here, though I still think your path is relatively straightfprward once you see how bad or not the chainplates are. Keep your fingers crossed...

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...a-68711-2.html
Old 21-02-2021, 04:06   #56

Boat: Volkscruiser
Post Re: How to fix these buried chainplates?

I still stand by my original advice. The problem with exposing the front of the chainplate is that it is only 50% of the surface area and you have no idea what the back of the chainplate looks like. You need to have those chainplates in your hand to make an accurate assessment of their condition.
I am a sleep well at night type of guy and I wouldn't be sleeping easy until I had those chainplates out and repaired.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 04:32   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:

(The photos were taken by my new $50 plastic camera I bought off eBay which I find works well!)

The chain-plate is 316 SS and installed up against the deck shelf and very, very heavily fiber-glassed. The mast rigging is attached to the deck ? which are a type of inverted "U" bolt welded to a SS plate and bolted onto the internal chain-plate. (The guy that rigged Australian's entrant to The Americas Cup (Trevor Helliar) had a look at it and gave it the )

jimbunyard I agree with you but without further information none of us can draw any conclusion as to the state of the chain-plates.

I firmly believe WaldPinkler should take Bill Murdoch's advice to "Contact either Steve Brodie, the owner, or more to the point, Thumper Brooks, the operations manager" and contact the Crealock Owner's Forums and the Manufacturer (?) But in this case someone in the Philippines? (That's a worry)
Not sure how this became about your chainplates, but water could seep under the caulking on that plate that's sitting on the deck and work its way through the bolt holes to underneath.....it's what water does. It might not, but the chance exists, and I've re-bedded enough leaking deck hardware on boats to know that there is never a guarantee that a caulked fitting won't leak.
I've kept the caulked fittings to a minimum on my boat, and while most have remained good (I use 5200 everywhere I can), some have needed to be re-caulked. It's just how it is.
Old 21-02-2021, 04:42   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I still stand by my original advice. The problem with exposing the front of the chainplate is that it is only 50% of the surface area and you have no idea what the back of the chainplate looks like. You need to have those chainplates in your hand to make an accurate assessment of their condition.
I am a sleep well at night type of guy and I wouldn't be sleeping easy until I had those chainplates out and repaired.
Cheers

So how often are would you "un-bury" the chain plate for inspection? What would it cost to replace the chain-plates (incl. labour) in a Crealock 40ft yacht?

I'd like to know what those water stains are : fresh or salt?

My SS chain-plates would have a generous coating of polyester resin all over them. IF water somehow got in to the buried chain-plate I suggest it would be fresh water. ( Holes in the bottom of the lay-up allow any water to drain out anyway)

I'm more worried about my rudder which is SS rudder stock,foam and epoxy/glass. Eventually water will leak inside the rudder at the rudder stock/epoxy lay-up and I will get crevice corrosion. (I think the replacement will be entirely SS)
Old 21-02-2021, 04:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Not sure how this became about your chainplates, but water could seep under the caulking on that plate that's sitting on the deck and work its way through the bolt holes to underneath.....it's what water does. It might not, but the chance exists, and I've re-bedded enough leaking deck hardware on boats to know that there is never a guarantee that a caulked fitting won't leak.
I've kept the caulked fittings to a minimum on my boat, and while most have remained good (I use 5200 everywhere I can), some have needed to be re-caulked. It's just how it is.

If you look at the photo the bolts are nowhere near the fiberglass layup over the chain-plate
Old 21-02-2021, 07:01   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

Polyester resin is hygroscopic and there is not a joint of two materials in the world that water will not eventually penetrate.