Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 08:18   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
How to install a garboard plug

Read an older thread about Bristol's, and Redsky mentioned a garboard plug in his deep sump in his bilge. Anybody install a garboard plug? What did you use for the plug, how did you install it, and how do you seal the plug at launch time? I saw a boat years ago, on the hard, with a plug, but I forget the details.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 09:27   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: How to install a garboard plug

Eep. The very idea of that makes me uncomfortable. I have a deep sump and my garboard plug is a wet-dry vac lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 09:37   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Garboard drain plugs

http://www.perko.com/catalog/underwa...rd_drain_plug/

They're installed like a skin fitting (they are), and sealed with a plug threaded into the center.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 09:54   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Here in the frozen north it is wise to have a high quality bronze garboard just in case rain /snow water gets thru your winter cover & into the bilge.
It is also handy to drain any water from bilge upon fall haulout.

There are several cheaper brass & even plastic drains on the market,but I recommend using this expensive bronze perko unit.
You can also order 4 bronze #10 flat head wood screws to go with it.
Use a hole saw to drill the hole for it & pre-drill for the wood screws into the GRP. Use 3M 4200 or,dare I say it,5200 sealant.
Try to install it as low as possible.

Mine has been there for 12 yrs. with no problem. I use a 1/2" drive ratchet & extension to screw the plug in & out. The plug & socket are bronze,I use a bit of teflon pipe dope (or tape) & snug it up-maybe 20ft-lbs or so.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...nch-26248.html

I just read the ad-it says the plug is brass & the socket is bronze.
Mine is all bronze but it's 12yrs old. Next yr the will be cheese & double the price. I think I paid less than $50 USD for mine. / Len
Old 30-09-2017, 10:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I had to install one in my Pearson. It has a deep sump in the bilge (essentially making a partially hollow keel) which is under a built in water tank.

The plug I used is all bronze, heavy duty and the plug fits very tightly into the flange fitting. Just a couple of things you need to check if you do this.

1. Make sure the whole thing is bronze, not brass. I found several that were brass and a few that were bronze but the plug was brass.

2. Make sure the plug will install from the inside or outside of the boat. I ordered one that looked right but when I got it the plug only screwed into the flange from the inside which I cannot reach.

I got a very good quality drain made by Buck Algonquin (good for other high quality marine goodies as well) purchased through Hamilton Marine in Maine. It has been a while but I believe this is the one I have.

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...p100?plpver=10
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 10:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I had to install one in my Pearson. It has a deep sump in the bilge (essentially making a partially hollow keel) which is under a built in water tank.

The plug I used is all bronze, heavy duty and the plug fits very tightly into the flange fitting. Just a couple of things you need to check if you do this.

1. Make sure the whole thing is bronze, not brass. I found several that were brass and a few that were bronze but the plug was brass.

2. Make sure the plug will install from the inside or outside of the boat. I ordered one that looked right but when I got it the plug only screwed into the flange from the inside which I cannot reach.

I got a very good quality drain made by Buck Algonquin (good for other high quality marine goodies as well) purchased through Hamilton Marine in Maine. It has been a while but I believe this is the one I have.

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...p100?plpver=10
Yes!! The Buck Algonquin is what I have also & I got it & the bronze screws @ Hamilton back then. Tks Skip
Old 30-09-2017, 10:18   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I am in the frozen north these days, and my bilge does fill from my mast, and freeze. I was wondering about sealing the plug. I would like to think it is tapered and teflon tape would work. I can't think of any other compound, like pipe dope, that could be used. Maybe Boat Life caulk? Sealer, not an adhesive.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 10:25   #8

One fairly common problem with drain plugs is the number of folks who forget to put them in before launch but that is not really a hardware failure is it.

Has anyone heard of a sinking due to a failed (properly maintained) plug?....
Old 30-09-2017, 10:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Yes!! The Buck Algonquin is what I have also & I got it & the bronze screws @ Hamilton back then. Tks Skip

And while we're on the subject I would like to add a plug (yes that's a pun) for Buck Algonquin and Hamilton Marine.

I originally special ordered the wrong garboard drain (plug was brass and inserted from the inside) through Hamilton. Discovered the problem, found the right one from Buck, contacted Hamilton and they arranged to swap out even though it was a special order. Thanks to both companies.

Also, if you need to replace the hose between your stuffing box and stern tube Buck Algonquin has the right stuff. Also lots of other high quality, bronze marine hardware.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I am in the frozen north these days, and my bilge does fill from my mast, and freeze. I was wondering about sealing the plug. I would like to think it is tapered and teflon tape would work. I can't think of any other compound, like pipe dope, that could be used. Maybe Boat Life caulk? Sealer, not an adhesive.
The Buck Algonquin garboard drain & plug are a std 3/4" NPT taperd pipe thread.
Being malleable bronze,the plug doesn't really need anything on it's threads to seal. I use teflon tape or teflon pipe dope to lube the threads a bit & make it easier to wrench in & out.
The only place/time you need caulk of any kind is between the drain socket flange & the hull when you mount the assembly to your boat.
Len
Old 30-09-2017, 13:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The Buck Algonquin garboard drain & plug are a std 3/4" NPT taperd pipe thread.
Being malleable bronze,the plug doesn't really need anything on it's threads to seal. I use teflon tape or teflon pipe dope to lube the threads a bit & make it easier to wrench in & out.
The only place/time you need caulk of any kind is between the drain socket flange & the hull when you mount the assembly to your boat.
Len
I'll second all that. Plus, the flange and plug are both very substantial and I have zero concerns about this particular hole in my boat.
Old 01-10-2017, 23:09   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

O.M.G. - a $103 bucks for a PERKO Garboard plug and socket??? . . . and they're most assuredly made in China too. PERKO sent all their brass/bronze manufacturing to China some years ago. Probably cost less than $10 bucks to produce and package that item.

Back when I was building, I bought four PERKO bronze cockpit drains with integral reverse flow balls in them, from a chandler. One was 'Made in the USA' (it was produced perfectly), while the remainder were all 'Made in China' (said so right on the boxes) but were less than perfect in that the mounting flanges were thick on one side and much thinner on the opposite side, suggesting a shift in the casting process.

I contacted PERKO by mail, explaining I was very unhappy with the product and why. I also provided dimensions etc.
A few days later, I was surprised to find it was the President of the company who replied to me by phone. He was apologetic, but seemed to question why I would be so concerned with the variance in thickness as it would all be buried in the cockpit sole anyway. I had to explain that I had already machined all four holes to accept the same thickness of flange all around.
He asked me to return the parts to his address in Florida by UPS and he would refund all shipping costs . . . which he did eventually; when I received no check in the mail, I contacted him again to remind him of his promise.

He did send replacement parts and they were all good. I figure I must have bought after they had quit USA production and switched manufacturing to China but one, (the USA made) was probably old stock. Better box with colorful label, while the others were plain brown boxes with typed stick-on labels.
I also got the impression 'the president' was running a one man show by having product made overseas and shipped directly to dealers. I may be wrong in that, but it sure seemed strange at the time.

I still think $103 bucks is a bit pricey for that item!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:21   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
O.M.G. - a $103 bucks for a PERKO Garboard plug and socket??? . . . and they're most assuredly made in China too. PERKO sent all their brass/bronze manufacturing to China some years ago. Probably cost less than $10 bucks to produce and package that item.
The Buck Algonquin all bronze unit is $40-$45.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Read an older thread about Bristol's, and Redsky mentioned a garboard plug in his deep sump in his bilge. Anybody install a garboard plug? What did you use for the plug, how did you install it, and how do you seal the plug at launch time? I saw a boat years ago, on the hard, with a plug, but I forget the details.
Almost every boat sold under 26' or so (trailerable boats) has a factory installed garboard drain. Go to a local boat ramp and look at the boats being launched to see one. You "seal" it by screwing the plug in. You drain it by taking the plug out.

Since this is something that could sink your boat, you should not cut costs here and anything but all bronze will eventually fail.

You install it by drilling the appropriate sized hole where you want it to go and holes for the screws that hold it to the hull. Ideally, at least one should be a machine screw and nut that goes all the way through so you can attach it to your bonding system.

Coat the inside of the hole with epoxy to seal it. Let it cure, insert the drain, insert the screws and bolt (seal everything with your favorite marine sealant), connect your bonding wire, let everything cure. insert the plug and you're ready for the water.

The plug will seal itself when properly tightened. Insert it finger tight, then snug it up with a six inch wrench. "Snug it up" is the key here. Too tight and you'll have trouble removing it without breaking the drain loose from the hull.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16   #15

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Use a hole saw to drill the hole for it & pre-drill for the wood screws into the GRP. Use 3M 4200 or,dare I say it,5200 sealant.
Try to install it as low as possible....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You install it by drilling the appropriate sized hole where you want it to go and holes for the screws that hold it to the hull. Ideally, at least one should be a machine screw and nut that goes all the way through so you can attach it to your bonding system.
My sump is 3.5 feet deep below the cabin sole, you drill from the outside.
I thought about sticking an offset drill to a piece of wood to drill a pilot hole from inside where I wanted it, deep down there. But even this did not work, access is pretty tight and under the engine. My little kid said he ain't going there with a drill, so I gave up for now.... I bought a shop vac.
How do you determine where to drill? Not too low not too high....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug