Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 13:44   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: How to remove mould from mainsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Iodine is an effective biocide, but I do not know whether it should be used on a laminated main sail.

I do not know if there even are any professional sail washers in Oz. Are there? If so, that might be another source of info, as UNCIVILIIZED wrote. Or, even the original sailmaker, should have some notes about the construction and fabrics of the sail. Failing that, whoever's closest.

Ann
Worth a try Ann. Costs little or nothing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:49   #17

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR

if it is laminated, I think it is impossible to clean. We tried to get Bacon Sails (Annapolis) to learn our laminate reacher. ... they gave it back to me - not able to clean. We continue to use, I'm not happy with the look of the sail - the areas where sail was glued look bad, but I plan to use the sail until it breaks.
Dacron, however - can be cleaned. so when we replaced our jib - we went to Dacron, Looks great now, and when I need to have it cleaned, it will continue to look great.
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 15:31   #18

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

bradandnatalie, oz clean mould power spray can be bouht at any supermarket or www. ozclean .com made in australia kills the mould spore and keeps working / wet it in like waterproofing / stretch the sail into shape on the rig and sail until it is dry. if you have cold wet weather down there it'll take a bit loner but you will give it a good rinse / take care to get the mould out of the hull / mould contains bacteria that is a carcinogen / ventilate and scrub out the bilge storage area / suggest using a dehumidifier / mould off the sail would be second priority your health would be first / if mould spray isn't available wet down with sea water stretch into place on the rig and sail until it is dry / repeat until sail lokks clean or is worn out
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 15:48   #19
Marine Service Provider

That's easy, do more sailing. Mold doesn't grow in seawater.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 16:36   #20

Boat: Santana2023

I seem to have great success with Simple Green. No harsh chemicals in it and safe for the environment.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:21   #21

Wink Re: How to remove mould from mainsail

"Wet n Forget" works and is recommended by sailmakers. Scrubbing is not necessary but the process takes several months to take affect. Spray it on and use the sail as usual. Be patient.
scooter.john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 18:17   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

I've used Vacuwash in Sydney, they can remove mould and other stains from sails and awnings etc.

Regards

Col
Colin Mckeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 18:19   #23

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Brad and Natalie, I understand your problem as I had the exact same one.
What I did though after searching for a way to get my sails cleaned, was to set up a business in Australia that used the Vacuwash process from the US. This process is very effective in removing mold from laminated and dacron sails.
Have a look at my website and feel free to give me a call anytime.
Rgds
Mark Hunter.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 18:36   #24

Boat: Able 50

There is nothing you can do for a total solution.

You can at least stop the mould from getting worse. Wipe down both sides of the sail with white vinegar. Be especially generous along the areas of stitching allowing the vinegar to soak into the seams. The sail will not be completely clean but at least you will have stopped the stitched areas from getting worse.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 18:37   #25

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Beware the chlorinated swimming pool idea - been there, done that. My Genoa was looking poorly but still very strong so I doused it for a couple of hours in the pool (FW, chlorinated) All the stitching (yes, all) fell out within a couple of weeks, necessitating re-stitching of the entire sail....
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 21:07   #26

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Well I've found this great cleaner at Dollar Tree it's called LA awesome cleaner concentrate i don't thing there's no bleach in it it just works great try that !
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 22:04   #27

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm not trying to sound negative, but even scrubbing can be overdone. Given that it's an abrasive process in & of itself. And that it's often done with the sail resting on a rough surface such as concrete. So that it's easy to vastly accelerate the wear on films if the sail's laminated. And with woven (Dacron) sails, to both the sailcloth, & the sail cloth's resin. Particularly as the resin does a lot to help stabilize the cloth's shape, & thus the sail's as well. In addition to protecting the sail from wear & tear.

This also holds true for the stitching on sails if/when scrubbed. So when you're cleaning it it's a good time to inspect the sail, & to note (as in log) any damage to it & it's stitching, along with the location of same. Especially so that you can keep tabs on the sail's health. And in case you wind up taking it to a loft for some TLC.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:15   #28

Boat: Custom

Recently used the team at Vacuwash in Sydney. Very helpful and full of years worth of advice.

Admittedly a Dacron Sail, but a sensational result,I am sure they would be more than happy to give you some advice.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail