Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 17:06   #1

How to rig dyneema lifeline gate eyes

I've been replacing my old stainless lifelines with dyneema, so far I have the port side, forward of the lifeline gate done. My first attempt was with a thimble, I saw it online, but realized after installing it that it seems like it could be a chafe point (the stanchions do have a pretty fair entry, but it appears like it could be an issue in the long run).

My second attempt was with a dyneema eye to eye, which looks better, however I'm concerned the aluminum might not like the stainless stanchion too much. Is this a valid concern? Should I just buy some standard stainless eye to eyes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_200823.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	197197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_200832.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	197198  

sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 17:29   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: How to rig dyneema lifeline gate eyes

I would wait until it or the dyneema fails. Depending on where you are the rope may fail before the eye.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 17:30   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Don't use anything, just the spliced eye. I have 3 gates, one with a fancy thimble. There is no point to it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 20:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Don't use anything, just the spliced eye. I have 3 gates, one with a fancy thimble. There is no point to it.
Can you show me a pic of your splice eye setup?
Old 04-08-2019, 21:08   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’m not sure I understand where you are on the boat. The pictures seem to show an intermediate stanchion where I’d expect just to run the line through. The start and end by the gate on my boat have the small stainless eyes welded on, and I did my lifelines by a simple splice around them, and then another splice in the forward (or aft) end with 3mm Dyneema lashings to take up the difference and allow adjustment. Yes sure the tight radius probably halves the strength, but in 7mm Dyneema we’re so over spec it’s not a problem.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 21:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I’m not sure I understand where you are on the boat. The pictures seem to show an intermediate stanchion where I’d expect just to run the line through. The start and end by the gate on my boat have the small stainless eyes welded on, and I did my lifelines by a simple splice around them, and then another splice in the forward (or aft) end with 3mm Dyneema lashings to take up the difference and allow adjustment. Yes sure the tight radius probably halves the strength, but in 7mm Dyneema we’re so over spec it’s not a problem.
I don't have any eyes welded on mine, the lifelines run from the bow through about 5 stanchions, then the distance between those two stanchions is the gate, then to the stern. The photos show the stanchion at the forward end of the gate - with the lifeline run to the bow.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:33   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Sorry no pictures but I would suggest you locate the Pelican hook in the middle of the gate. That way you can tighten the lifeline lashings from either end. Otherwise the hook or the eye will pull up against the stanchion.
Over time things will stretch, so fatten the lifeline with some small line inside and that will shorten the lifeline up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Waiting for it to fail is just too risky. I did mine using this fitting. Note how the dyneema will NOT chafe.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...508&id=2307699
Attached Images

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:40   #9

Boat: Watkins 29

This young fellow has been refitting his catamaran and just built carbon fiber stanchions and is rigging the lifelines with dyneema. This young man is very industrious.

Its an interesting video and will show you how he did it...

dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

following...our s/s lifelines are starting to show some signed of corrosion, and need to be replaced. Looking for ideas and alternatives.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:29   #11

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Stanchions: small stainless tube, flared on both ends, if you still worry wrap thin marine leather. the shown aluminum thimbles are beautiful but very expensive, I used disks with deep groove and 6 holes (2 to secure the disk and 4 for the continuing lashing). Shrouds are 10mm Dyneema, passing through the mast, well rounded and protected with leather, after 10 years still good solution (Schionning design)
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:24   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Don't understand your second picture, anyway I think you can simplify this installation

Usually you want lifelines to remain at least moderately tight even when pelican hook and gate is open. So the forward and aft sections of lifelines must either terminate or have a stopper of some kind at the gate side of stanchion. With wire lifelines it is necessary to terminate forward and aft sections with a thimble on the gate side of the stanchions. With Dyneema, why not simply run Dyneema thru the stanchion, then tie a figure 8 knot in the Dyneema at the gate side of stanchion then this line will continue to an eye splice thru the standing (fixed) end of pelican hook.

Usual Pelican hook has a smooth ring on the standing end so Dyneema eye splice without thimble is fine there. But the hook end of pelican definitely needs to go into a metal thimble for the Dyneema not to be damaged. So thimble with Dyneema eye splice will look like first picture. But do use SS thimble not Al.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:44   #13

Boat: 36' Sail

This pic is how I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1565026948095109632444.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	197239  
tidefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 17:00   #14

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Just bumping this to see if any new ideas are around. Specifically how about using a soft shackle
instead of a pelican clip and whoopy sling style adjusters luggage tagged at the other side? Basically a zero hardware set up.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 09:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Just bumping this to see if any new ideas are around. Specifically how about using a soft shackle
instead of a pelican clip and whoopy sling style adjusters luggage tagged at the other side? Basically a zero hardware set up.

I make my own soft shackles. But would NEVER use them for something not under like a gate. Too much risk of them opening or not being fully seated if needed to keep someone on deck
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema