Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 14:54   #76

Re: how to test a chinese part versus name brand

Well, i seem to have forgotten one of the biggest groups that contribute.

Consumers, us as consumers. Some electronics are now almost cheaper to buy a new unit vs a consumable item. (eg printers and ink/toner)

We want cheap, reliable and quality products, they don't exist. If its too expensive for us, we shop for something else simple. Just like the OP is looking for cheap parts. No real fault of our own, each person has their own budgets/needs/wants and must fall within their constraints.

Pick two on the roulette triangle. Cant have all three.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	244187  
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 15:04   #77

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Well, i seem to have forgotten one of the biggest groups that contribute.

Consumers, us as consumers. Some electronics are now almost cheaper to buy a new unit vs a consumable item. (eg printers and ink/toner)

We want cheap, reliable and quality products, they don't exist. If its too expensive for us, we shop for something else simple. Just like the OP is looking for cheap parts. No real fault of our own, each person has their own budgets/needs/wants and must fall within their constraints.

Pick two on the roulette triangle. Cant have all three.
Good point! I learned this when I was racing and tweaking my cars. There was a guy named Gene Berg who sold automotive and racing parts. One of his sayings was "Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap, cry often!"
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 15:21   #78

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I try not to buy anything from China. Sadly it's not always possible. It's usually poor quality and I don't like the politics.

The only thing that has lasted that was made in China is covid.
I agree their politics both sucks and blows. Their government is a bald faced liar. Heck, did you see a new island off Japan created the other day by a submarine volcano? I'm waiting for China to claim it as being "historically theirs".

That said, they didn't create COVID, only potentially facilitated its widespread release. And if you think the US, Britain, Germany or anyone else can run a BSL-4 lab properly read The Hot Zone.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 15:34   #79

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
Surely the items you have listed are not your proof the high quality of China products???? If it is, that is very funny. A phone, tablet computer that may last 12 months.That can't be repaired if it fails
That's not a problem of the manufacturer, that's a problem of the ethics and business model of the designer.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 16:38   #80

The Tennessee company is probably selling the Harken and Lewmar bearings that didn't pass their control tests. Since they were made for Harken and Lewmar, the Tennessee company sells them as such even though they were rejects.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 18:09   #81

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
The Tennessee company is probably selling the Harken and Lewmar bearings that didn't pass their control tests. Since they were made for Harken and Lewmar, the Tennessee company sells them as such even though they were rejects.
How did you determine the ab ove about their origin? Must have inside info not readily available...

Jim
Old 25-08-2021, 18:31   #82

There's only one way to test a Chinese part. Put the balls in and run them. If they wont you're home free. If they don't well now you know why the OEM gets a dollar per ball. Apparently you were going to buy the balls direct from China and wondered if anyone would give you some justification. Just go for it and see what you get. And pray it isn't when you can't replace them.

As pointed out above, there's rigorous testing methods to determine ifs parts are good. But that's not for you and you want the $3/thousand. So, go for it.

Most replacement automotive parts are made in China now and I've found that they're not close to OEM. Of course boat parts are different.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 20:41   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How did you determine the ab ove about their origin? Must have inside info not readily available...

Jim
Did I say where they were made? Oh! No, I didn't.

I was only saying that the TN company is most likely selling a product originally made for Harken or Lewmar that did not pass their quality checks. As a result, instead of the manufacturer loosing out on a "batch", they sell them at a very reduced rate.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 23:58   #84

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
Did I say where they were made? Oh! No, I didn't.

I was only saying that the TN company is most likely selling a product originally made for Harken or Lewmar that did not pass their quality checks. As a result, instead of the manufacturer loosing out on a "batch", they sell them at a very reduced rate.
You have misconstrued my question. I wondered how you came to the conclusion that the balls on offer were in fact made for those OEMs but rejected for some reason. Again: "most likely"... how do you know that?

There are lots of items that use plastic ball bearings beside Lewmar or Harken blocks or travelers and the ones on offer could have been aimed at those other markets.

Not that it matters... IMO the only rational test is to try them out in whatever usage the OP envisions. It will become obvious whether they are suitable in due course. If they work, lots of money saved. If they don't work, bite the bullet and buy from the OEM.

Jim
Old 17-09-2021, 09:00   #85

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'll just leave this here.

https://youtu.be/67T_KhGXMp0
Old 17-09-2021, 11:51   #86

Boat: Bavaria 36'

The problem with modern products is that the guts of many of them are made in a limited number of factories and they a branded with different names. Worse, some of the components in the hearts of the machines are single sourced.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 12:39   #87

We had a bunch of harken airblocks - I crushed the bearings on two of them (the spin halyard blocks) and called harken (factory) tech support to ask about it. They replaced the bearings on all our blocks for free, including having a local dealer (we were in Australia at the time) come to the boat to help me do the swap out (I suppose also confirming I actually had/used all these blocks and was not scamming them). They had an 'unannounced warrantee recall' related to these bearings - they were not as UV resistant as they should have been but were only replacing those boats that had failures rather than everyone's.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote