Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2012, 11:06   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: How would you fix this?

Bamboo tooth picks,by them at a food store,mix up some epoxy,put it in the hole insert Bamboo,let harden,trim after hardening,in sert screw it works.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 11:08   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=SailFastTri;890374]delmarrey you gave the best solution, IMHO. Good on ya! Best strength for minimal modification to structure, and it does not need special skills to make it look nice. I would add that the OP should take care to smooth all the metal edges.

The metal bar behind is great if you can reach it. I assumed you could not so I suggested the gray Marine Tex. It is metal filled epoxy and rated for drill & tap. We used it for bolting on many parts where we could not use a backer plate and never had a failure. In foam or balsa core we made a special tool tohollow out a cavity 3 or 4 times the bolt diameter and packed the epoxy in - later drill through and tap. This is also good for making water-tight, crush-proof clearance holes for winch mounting. Lots of good ideas here. I generally like to fix things only once so choose the one that is the most likely to never require attention again.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 12:49   #18

Can you simply move it to the other side? If so, drill and tap the holes and use machine screws. It almost looks like a pop rivet might work...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:03   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RQF4 View Post

Funny comment about the boy swinging from the arms as we have just reached that stage, hence the rise on the priority list.

No amount of repair will work if the boy is allowed to swing on it.

Fix the boy first!
Old 18-02-2012, 13:11   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Epoxy or glass in a "Helicoil" threaded insert. Then you can simply screw new machine screws into that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:19   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

I think Del's ideas is the strongest. For those who know wood better then metal you could mill a piece of wood to do the same thing. Since you can't tap wood you could either use a small plate and tap that or epoxy a nut to the back side of the wood to accept the machine screw.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:25   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you can get to the backside then thru-bolt it.

If not then move it and drill new holes below it. It looks like you still have adequate room to do this. Fill in the old holes with an epoxy filler and paint over. Nobody will notice unless they are told where to look.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote