Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 20:19   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
How Would You Reply?

My boat has been hauled out since early September as she’s being painted from the bottom of the mast to the bottom of the keel. I rented an apartment not far from the yard as this is a big, expensive project (for me, anyway) and I want to keep an eye on what’s going on. I have been especially careful not to ‘nippick’ details that are unimportant and keep a pleasant disposition. As of yet, we have had no arguments and no one has raised their voices but there have been discussions where different points of view were raised. Everyone has been friendly and civil.

However, today I received an email from the yard foreman who said I would no longer have access to the boat for fear that I might ‘contaminate’ (his word) the process. There are many projects that I’ve been working on inside and out of their way that need completion before the boat can be splashed and even though they don’t expect the painting to be finished until December, I’d like to keep working on them.

I’d like to maintain a decent working relationship so I’m reluctant to reply with something offensive though I’m tempted.

What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91B54799-AE55-4D07-90E0-D6AE35A85D63.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	266043   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9FC47C2-303C-4DD7-95EB-389039AF6C70.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	266044  

nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 21:09   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: How Would You Reply?

nhschneider I am with the yard foreman. I undertook a similar job and gave the owner access. He turned up with his very entitled son straight after I had just finished spraying topcoat on the deck and cabin sides. I was literally cleaning out my spray gun and the son was walking all over the deck! The owner didn't care as they were very wealthy and if his Karen son wants to have a look then so what. I was pissed but as it was a paid by the hour job it just meant the owner paid more for me to repair all the footprints on the gloss the next day.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 22:38   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've never been allowed to stay aboard while the topsides were being painted, and I can see why the yard or the painters or both thought it would be better all around if you didn't generate sanding dust while they're working. (Normally they would be wearing face filters on account of the solvents, anyway.)

So, what I would say is that, gosh, I had hoped to be able to work on -- whatever it is -- but I certainly don't want to create a problem for the people doing the job either. Is there any kind of work I can do inside the boat at all? They'll say yes or no, and then you accept it. It is that if they can see you want to support their doing a quality job, they may see that you could do one or more of your planned jobs, but maybe not. Honestly, we paid for a topsides job about 10 yrs ago now, and it was $14k. I would not have wanted to interfere in any way with the painting; the painter was really highly skilled. Spraying LPU on a sailboat is not the same as being in college and repainting your room in latex paint. They have to gauge the humidity and play with the thinners, and stop if a breeze comes up, and a lot of background experience to judge how the paint is going on, and if the layer thickness is correct, and a bunch of stuff that I don't even know. It's not the same as painting a shoebox with a spray can, either. Lots of judgment mixed with eye/hand coordination. Trust them. You will not miss much time. After the prep is all done, the actual painting for this 46 footer --topsides only, with automotive LPU -- took him about one half day.

Ann
Old 20-10-2022, 03:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It's normal to be asked to stay away when finicky stuff is happening. Those guys have a reputation to uphold, and anything that contaminates the job makes them look bad. Just take a few days off, appreciate the work they're doing, and know that your paint will look better if they can work in good conditions.
Old 20-10-2022, 03:26   #5

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

They are painting. Okay? It's a process that demands a fastidious approach to get good results. Look at the pictures: everything is masked off.

As the HMFIC on many large scale projects , I recommend that you allow the professionals to do their jobs. Nobody likes being micro-managed.

Stop by in person and say:
"thanks, I really appreciate your honesty. Let me know when there is something interesting for me to see. See you in a few weeks!"

Then really, don't bug them.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 03:37   #6

My boat is being painted as I write. I too was asked to make myself scarce. It's not just the actual spraying they want to preserve, but the prep - possible oils and other contaminants. I have to observe that it's not unusual for parts of a paint job to go south - orange peel for no apparent reason, etc. There is often sugnficant buffing amd some touch up needed even after unwrapped. You don't want to have been anywhere near the boat and included as a possible reason for any defects.

I'm surprised you would even be able to get to the boat if you wanted. I would think significant parts would be taped off. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220923_111148.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	266046
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 05:06   #7

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

"I have been especially careful not to ‘nippick’ details that are unimportant and keep a pleasant disposition. As of yet, we have had no arguments and no one has raised their voices but there have been discussions where different points of view were raised."

Care to elaborate?
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 06:00   #8

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm a marine contractor (canvas) and commonly work on boats that are in the paint shop.

At certain stages of the painting process, I have free access. At other stages, I may be told to stay away (for whatever period of time). I have known and worked with these yards for 20+ years & we trust each other. Plus, generally, it's the yard that hired me & I'm making money for them, too. They WANT me to get stuff done.

Unknown contractors, owners, and pretty much anybody else are not welcome in the paint shop at all.

I'd follow Ann's advice above. I'd also show up about 5pm on a Friday with a cold 6 pack to share.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 06:17   #9

You sort of have to trust the people you hired.

Your research on their quality should have been done BEFORE the hire. If they tell you to keep off, keep off. You can assess the overall job later.

I don't adhere to this, but I do with painting. There are certain parts of finishing work you don't want to mess with.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 07:19   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
"I have been especially careful not to ‘nippick’ details that are unimportant and keep a pleasant disposition. As of yet, we have had no arguments and no one has raised their voices but there have been discussions where different points of view were raised."

Care to elaborate?
Since you asked, let me give you an example. When I arrived at the yard, among the projects I wanted them to take care of was removing 3 through-hulls and filling the holes. Since my boat is balsa cored, I wanted them to remove about a 1/2” of core from between the fiberglass ‘skins’ (using an Allen wrench chucked into a drill works great for this) and fill that void with thickened epoxy before applying the layers of fiberglass. They did a beautiful job and I was pleased. Then I decided to remove a fourth through-hull but this time they didn’t remove any of the core and epoxied in a rubber stopper. I had wanted the work on the fourth through-hull to use the same repair technique as the other 3. They insisted that the repair was correct and I didn’t argue.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 07:51   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

If you have reason to not believe they will fulfill the contract pull the boat. Most work sites are not insured for laymen walking around.
I have a good friend who restores cars. Folks ship him specific cars to restore. If you open a door create a pressure change or heat change anywhere in the building while he’s shooting paint he will kill you. Or repaint the car.
I’ve painted several cars bikes and 2 boats. The Donzi was painted naked on a transom clamp and bow bracket. We could roll the whole boat. It took 9 hours of non stop painting and wet sanding breathing canned air. The toxins in some paints will do some great damage to you. I wouldn’t attempt to paint anything outside a painting room and I sure would not allow anyone to disturb me.
I had a paint booth in a factory. Could just fit my corvette in it if I took off the mirrors. $1,800.00 in paint
Saturday evening I tapped Sunday morning I left the car baking with 14 coats. Big DO NOT DISTURB, notice on factory door and paint booth.
Dude in the photo looks like he’s got a roller. I’d toss my cookies if anyone got a roller near my boat.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 09:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Just finished having the same thing done to my Gulfstar 51. Process including prep work and installing a bow thruster took a couple of months and they had 3 people working on the boat 7 days a week-- quite a process. I was there almost every day working on stuff inside the boat including replacing every thru hull etc. On days when they were spraying I stayed away but the actual spraying did not take a lot of time. The other days i was there doing my thing. Painting contractor was super and we had a good relationship. ( he and i did bow thruster together and i had him do some fiberglass work as well. ) There is NO WAY i would not have been involved and watching over the process because of the amount of money involved in the project. Go see the yard manager and talk to them and the foreman both. I can certainly understand them not wanting you there while spraying but the rest of the time-- no way. by the way the thought of putting a rubber plug in a cored hull and then epoxying over it does not sound like a good method of repair to me- i would not have let that happen on my boat but maybe i am out of line there- maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts, but i would insist upon that being redone properly at their expense. JMHO your boat your choice
Madehn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 10:21   #13

To answer the original question, I would ask when I could access the boat.
Old 20-10-2022, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Just finished having the same thing done to my Gulfstar 51. Process including prep work and installing a bow thruster took a couple of months and they had 3 people working on the boat 7 days a week-- quite a process. I was there almost every day working on stuff inside the boat including replacing every thru hull etc. On days when they were spraying I stayed away but the actual spraying did not take a lot of time. The other days i was there doing my thing. Painting contractor was super and we had a good relationship. ( he and i did bow thruster together and i had him do some fiberglass work as well. ) There is NO WAY i would not have been involved and watching over the process because of the amount of money involved in the project. Go see the yard manager and talk to them and the foreman both. I can certainly understand them not wanting you there while spraying but the rest of the time-- no way. by the way the thought of putting a rubber plug in a cored hull and then epoxying over it does not sound like a good method of repair to me- i would not have let that happen on my boat but maybe i am out of line there- maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts, but i would insist upon that being redone properly at their expense. JMHO your boat your choice
Back in the days when I was working in residential construction, and the customer insisted on being involved in the process they were invited to involve themselves in the labor portion as well.
Old 20-10-2022, 10:42   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

One of the first red flags for workers. "Can I watch and learn". Time value of money really comes into play in the marine industry. Compromise, patience, ask and listen, are always good things for both sides.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote