Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 21:18   #16

Good thread as I was also debating on what color hull I would want for our new boat. On the visual side, it looks gorgeous and for some reason seems to take the boat at least a notch in class, in my view. The downside is that I've seen some blue hulls that were starting to fade and it was OBVIOUS!! Really made it look crappy real quick. And now I hear supporting experiences with people stating that it also increases the overall temperature of the boat below.

I guess I'll stick to the tried and true of white. My wife's argument was that while on the boat, you will NEVER see the color, so who cares, she stated. Makes total sense I guess....
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57   #17

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer
I first heard about this product in the RV circles, trying to keep those tin boxes cooler

Ceramic Insulating Paint Additive makes any house paint an energy saving insulation paint

People who had used it reported that their A/C could now keep up with the demand.

I added it to the south and west walls when I painted my stucco house this past spring and could really tell the difference. When i paint my boat, I will find out of it work with the paint we select, and if so, will use it there too.

Mike
San Rafael
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:42   #18

We repainted from navy blue to matterhorn white, Awlcraft 2000. When it was blue the inside of the cabinets on a sunny day were ~125 degree and the hull was maybe 150 degrees. In white the boat stays very cool and we think it looks fine, certainly that is personal preference. If you are going south with a dark boat better plan on being hot or running the ac. Good luck.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 10:08   #19

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by meuritt View Post
I first heard about this product in the RV circles, trying to keep those tin boxes cooler

Ceramic Insulating Paint Additive makes any house paint an energy saving insulation paint

People who had used it reported that their A/C could now keep up with the demand.

I added it to the south and west walls when I painted my stucco house this past spring and could really tell the difference. When i paint my boat, I will find out of it work with the paint we select, and if so, will use it there too.

Mike
San Rafael
Do you have any comments on durability?
I am painting the interior of my Hull (prep going on right now) and wonder if this additive would have any ill effects? So far I'm planning on using Awl Gard (unless someone suggests something better).
Anyone?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 10:52   #20

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by meuritt View Post

Mike
San Rafael
A very interesting product.
Wonder how effective it would be on a fiberglass boat?
Also wonder about its effect on gloss.
Thanks for the link.
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 10:47   #21

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
There are really only two color schemes that appeal to me. White hull with squared-wood paneled doghouse (emulating a wood boat), and flag-blue hull with a white deck/doghouse, trimmed in teak. Of course, I live in the Northeast US where it's cool longer than its hot. White on white looks so... vanilla, IMO.

Maybe I'll give myself a wider white bootstripe.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 11:16   #22

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
I have many friends that pro paint with awlgrip. Siren came to me painted with Awlgrip "Claret"...kind of a maroon color, It had been clear coated, which failed. I really really really wanted to paint the bright red. My Pro friends were willing to help...do anything to help me out but did inform me that red might take as many as 15 coats and still might blush out requiring clear to get gloss (true for many colors). I am not a fan of clear coat or 15 coats. Three coats of white....perfect and interior is much, much cooler. Got fancy stripes though!
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 06:30   #23

I have owned two boats awlgripped flag blue in the tropics. The tradeoff is simple...beauty for heat. The hulls get too hot to touch with the naked hand while the white deck remains cool. I would estimate a 50 to 60 degree difference in hull temperature between white and blue.
So how does this impact life aboard? Well...very little in the tradewinds in my opinion if you have good ventilation. It will cause the refrigeration to cycle much more if your box sits on the hull rather than the interior.
As to fading/cracking with awlgrip/awlcare in dark colors...You see many painted boats with faded/oxidized paint and in my experience this is entirely due to improper treatment of the paint job...the use of WAX or any machine buffing will destroy the gloss. Cracking may take place with darker colors if the hull layup is thin and subject to thermal expansion and flex. My Irwin had some examples of this while my Tayana had none. This is cosmetic but not something one would want after spending thousands on a nice looking paint job.
None of this is an issue in more temperate climates and the further north you go...the more dark colors make sense. Of course...the facts may not matter...sometimes we paint with our hearts instead of our heads!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 16:31   #24
cruiser

Dark hulls are much drier and more mold free in norther lattitudes. When mine was white the lockers wetre a bit musty. That stoped when I painted her dark green. On a sunny day when it is minus 12 degrees, the hull feels warm to the touch when the sun is out . That dries lockers out well during daylight.
Dark green as far as Cabo, then back to white.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 18:53   #25

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
I painted my boat dark blue about seven years ago (LP) and I have to say it is a definite advantage in the pacific northwest. It warms up every time the sun shines on it. Keeps it drier in the winter. This would not be a good thing in the tropics.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 19:18   #26

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Sabre Dance is painted a sandy brown color similar to DAK Yellow (if anyone knows what that is, I'll eat my hat!), with white deck n coachroof and a light grey boot top. So far, the summer temperature (Lake Onario, 44.5 N) below decks was quite acceptable, given a bit of airflow. She was pretty badly oxidized when I bought her and I ended up spending the coin for a power buffer, and a bucket of really good abrasive which did wonders. My only problem was not removing all the abrasive so I ended up with some streaking.

I'm of a mind to repaint as the paint is scratched badly in a few spots, but I think I'll stay with the DAK yellow color. Topsides has a few rust spots, so I'll be sandblasting and retouching with white. It makes for a very cool deck to walk on.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 19:42   #27

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Does anyone have any experience with Bright Yellow. I'm wondering if it gets as hot as other bright colors and how it is with regard to fading?
I'm most certainly not talking about the entire hull, but perhaps an 8 inch + - band from stem to stern approximately 16 inches down on the hull side.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 04:16   #28

Boat: 1978 Choy Lee 32'
did anyone walk on the road or sidewalks barefoot as a kid? Which was hotter?
same concept.
I have a dark red/orange hull, and I live in Texas. I also have teak decking.
I also plan to stay in the tropics when I go sailing on my venture of a lifetime...

Though I might try to talk my husband into changing the color to the hull now that I know all the this scary stuff.
But I might try to convince him to paint it a bright yellow instead of white. hehehehe
AnneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 04:47   #29

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
There is another thread somewhere mentioning the Coastguards attitude to Blue and/or white boats. The comment was the problem they had in locating a small blue or white dot against a blue and white background, or musky grey in many cases.
I'd go for orange base by preference, possibly pastel, but definitely definitively defining.
ps currently dark green with white topsides - but a red staysail.
Old 04-03-2010, 14:23   #30
cruiser

Beige decks were cooler than other colours, but still much hotter than white in the tropics.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote