Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2012, 11:47   #1

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Hull Painting

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but here goes....

I'm planning to repaint my hull this spring when it warms up a bit. I will be sand blasting down to bare shiney steel until noon or one pm then paint until the blasted area is covered. Repeat the next day and so on until I'm done.

My question is about cleaning the steel after blasting,prior to painting, what product to prime with, the faring material , top coat? above and below the water line products? Basically how would you do it if this were your boat you planned to keep for a long time?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 12:02   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Hull painting

My hull is Inorganic Zinc coated so I have never gone to sandblast. I would blow clean the hull, then 2 coats of Sigma 7416 Hi solids epoxy Aluminum primer, then two coats of their Epoxy Tar (BREA) then two coats of their TCN Tiecoat. That is the bottom we currently have on. Then we have up to 8 coats antifouling and huge anodes. Pictures on our web page in the 2006 section. Good luck!
Old 30-03-2012, 12:45   #3

Re: Hull Painting

After spending more time waiting on my air compressor to catch up than actually sand blasting, I went out and found a "real" air compressor. It needed some work. It was loaned to me if I repaired it. So I fixed it, and OMG 200CFM @ 125psi is freakin awesome. I need a bigger sand blaster now.
Just my luck, its going to rain this weekend.
Old 30-03-2012, 13:41   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Matt,have fun, its a shi**y job ! Do make sure nobody touches the bare steel before you prime it, hand sweat/grease will affect the paint bond. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:26   #5

Thanks for that, I didnt know. Whats the best way to get the dust off before you paint? air hose?
Old 30-03-2012, 14:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Thanks for that, I didnt know. Whats the best way to get the dust off before you paint? air hose?
Rub with a dry rag while using air hose, then wip down with a rag and thinners. At least that is what i did on my Roberts when i still had it, but others may have better suggestions.
Old 30-03-2012, 14:51   #7

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Just blow the dust off - don't touch it with anything. If you use a rag you risk leaving cloth fibres in your nice new profile.
You may find that half a day is a little long between blasting and painting, but it will depend on humidity.
What sort of grit are you using?

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 15:12   #8

Silica free Black Diamond 60/80 grit.
Old 30-03-2012, 15:15   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Make sure your air is carefully separated with at least two filters before very thoroughly blowing off. Any oily moisture you may blow out of the compressor tank will really ruin your day without proper filtering.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 15:09   #10

Thanks for all the advice. I currently have moisture separator in line. Do I need another? I really really don't want to screw this up!
Old 31-03-2012, 16:29   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive always used acitone as a wipe down before spraying anything on a striped hull! at least thats what I did the few times I had to on my Colvin! seemed to work for me wiped it and blew it off again! and sprayed what ever I was useing at the time ! theres so many other paints out there now that I would have to talk to some boat painters about what to us nowdays things have changed alot in the last 10 yrs since I sold her !! But steel is still steel I guess!! so I would ck with some of the pros on here like Minaret hes still in the boat repair and painting bizz Im sure hes up to date !!
Old 03-04-2012, 14:01   #12

I put in a second air / water seperator, and son-of-gun, I'm getting a little moisture in the second seperator. Once again, thanks Minaret for the sound advice.
What are your thoughts about a faring material to apply over the primer to fill in a few of the ugly areas?
Then whats your opinion about the next steps....(hows that for an open-ended question??) Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2012, 14:08   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I put in a second air / water seperator, and son-of-gun, I'm getting a little moisture in the second seperator. Once again, thanks Minaret for the sound advice.
What are your thoughts about a faring material to apply over the primer to fill in a few of the ugly areas?
Then whats your opinion about the next steps....(hows that for an open-ended question??) Thanks again.

Yea I usually run 3, one one the compressor itself, one after at least 25' of line to allow for condensation, and one right before the final line. But I am often running 100'-200' of hose off a filtered manifold. All filters always have moisture, getting a really dry airstream requires daily tank draining and good separating/filtering.
What primer did you use?
Old 03-04-2012, 15:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yea I usually run 3, one one the compressor itself, one after at least 25' of line to allow for condensation, and one right before the final line. But I am often running 100'-200' of hose off a filtered manifold. All filters always have moisture, getting a really dry airstream requires daily tank draining and good separating/filtering.
What primer did you use?

PPG Amercoat 240. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 16:25   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Use Amercoat 114A epoxy filler. Heres the PDS for your primer. http://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/prod...240_PDS_AI.pdf

Many people will use WEST with 407 for just about anything, this included.

Tags
hull, hull paint