Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 04:27   #1

Boat: Adams 45 Steel Masthead Cutter
Hull Repaint Question - and Ford Diesels

Greetings All,

I am starting to now carry out plans to realise a cruising dream and have started to search for my first yacht purchase. I have spotted an Steel Hull Adams 45 that may need a full bottom respray. Its fairly ratty in spot shaving sat out of the water on hard stands for a couple of years so a straight sand and paint may not work...rather attention may need to be paid to a few problem spots.

Presumably this is a standard service so can range in both price and quality.

What should I budget to get a reasonable job done?

Also - it has an 80HP 4 Cyclinder Ford Diesel motor with a Borg Warner transmission...any thoughts?...comments on this motor?

BTW - This forum is a fantastic wealth of information!...invaluable to those like me now seeking the cruising experience.
Aussie Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 04:32   #2

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms
Re: Hull Repaint?...and Ford Diesels?

What about the Ford Diesel?
Old 26-10-2011, 04:37   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum, Monty.
Old 26-10-2011, 04:39   #4

ooops...forgot that bit...added it above.

It has an 80HP 4 Cylinder Ford Diesel and Borg Warner Transmission...just need to solicit opinion about that.

Cheers

Monty.
Old 26-10-2011, 05:08   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

If it is an old Ford Lehman, they are a good engine, have had experience with them, they are easy on fuel and run a long time, ran one in a 47' sailboat and it was great, have also ran the 6 cyl. naturals in a 42' trawler style. Borg Warner transmissions are okay, I have used them and rebuilt one. They are basic good transmissions. Of course, your unit may have issues that are not apparent from this forum. IF they are in good condition it should be a solid combination.
Old 26-10-2011, 22:03   #6

Re: Hull Repaint Question - and Ford Diesels

Thanks Captain58sailin,

I should have added that the Adams 45 was built in 1986 and has one owner, this would suggest that the motor/tranny are original...

Monty
Old 27-10-2011, 00:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Can you find out which Ford diesel it is? Around that time a variety were marinised by a few different companies. Some parts may be very hard to get.

Same may apply to the transmission. Can you find the model number?

My experience with an old Ford engine and Kanzaki transmission was that repair/rebuild was not economically feasible. I went with a new engine transmission.

If the hull is really corroded you may need to have it filled in places with weld metal and reblasted. If the corrosion is really, really bad it may be better to pass on the boat.

As to the cost of abrasive blasting, it depends where you are. Some areas, like Sydney have essentially banned abrasive blasting, others are more accommodating. Best to look up abrasive blasters in your local yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking. You could also ask round your local slipways.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 01:37   #8

Thanks Boracay....will check out model and relevant serial/engine numbers etc. and report back.

Vis a vis hull paint....sage advice...I will walk if it looks like too much hassle...as I am in no hurry.

I am a boilermaker by trade which is part of the reason i am looking at steel hulls...not to mention their other qualities. That is I am not too fearful of ripping areas back to bare steel, repairing or modifying, then getting a good lick'o'paint back on it to stave off oxidisation etc.

Monty
Old 27-10-2011, 01:54   #9

Boat: Transpac 49

Hi Monty,

Was up in Pittwater a few weeks ago, and these dudes Marine | Sodablast Australia were at Rowell's stripping bottom paint off a GRP hull as prep for AF.

Know of another Roberts in awesome conditon up for grabs pretty cheap, will PM you.

Bloke
Old 27-10-2011, 02:40   #10

blasting the outside is relatively easy- though not cheap. I got below the waterline only on my 38 done at gold coast city marina for $4500. But steel yachts rust from the inside out, and blasting the inside means removing the fitout which means wrecking the yacht which probably means don't bother.

b
stickybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:19   #11

All,

This is the vessel I am considering....am checking out over the weekend. As you can see not a big initial outlay to start...I am up for a bit of a project as i am not in a rush to get cruising. I want to get it into the water and get some sea practice inshore etc and work out the employment situation before i can take a serious break from working. I am willing to inject a bit of cash to get the critical bits sorted however, any gut feeling responses based on the info supplied...will be greatly appreciated.

Used Adams 45 for Sale | Yachthub

Cheers.

Monty
Old 27-10-2011, 03:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Monty after a quick double take having seen the pictures actually with a good paint job that could be a very nice yacht. Worth taking a torch and mirror to examine the inside of the steel hull were you normally can't see.

However, following a shot blast and paint it would look so much better so factor in a professional shot/slurry/sand blast and plan a good paint scheme.

In addition to the Ford Lehman range of engines, there are also Ford Dover and Dorset range of engines. They are 4 cly, 4.2 litres and produce 80hp non turbo or up to 200hp with turbo and intercooler etc. Sold the world over for trucks and tractors etc. Easily enough to work on and spares were cheap via the local auto factor. Ours at 200 hp would burn 35 lph but a non turbo version would use much less.

Could be a good project.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:41   #13

Thanks Pete,

Yes...I was attracted to the great lines and shape...will take good torch, digital camera, knee pads etc and have warned the agent/broker as i need time to take a good look. I will clamber inside and thoroughly inspect. I will of course, should it appear to be a going concern, get a pro survey. Hopefully the old girl is worth a new lick of paint...and someone willing to pay for a proper job...to reveal her inherent beauty?....

Monty.

Tags
paint