Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2012, 04:27   #16

Sorry, the second half of my post did not post!
I was writing that from mid 30 foot to 50 foot, you go from one to multiple heads, much higher displacement which can make boat handling much harder around docks, a 50 foot boat would have an engine 3 times the size of the 24 hp diesel in my 35 foot boat.

I have a mid 60's friend who traded in his cal 39 for a 50 foot swan. The boat cost 4 times as much, and after two years he would kill for his smaller boat back, try cranking in the headsail during a blow without an electric winch.

mid 30 foot Tartans, Allied, Saber, Bristol, Alberg, Seasprite, Cape Dory around 30-40k that don't need much or any work is where I'd look. It costs a lot more in money and time to buy a fixer upper then to get a boat in good shape to begin with. Even if you get a boat in good shape boats are expensive. I have done every bit of maintenance myself on my boat and am still shocked at how much I spend. If the yard did everything, add $55 to $85 an hour to what I spend on parts and materials.

Good luck, and instead of spending time on lakes in Virginia, take a look at the Crew forum for cruisers looking for crew. Try going on a delivery up or down the East coast. Annapolis is not too far and is a great place for you to hook up with someone for some great experience.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 05:39   #17

Re: Hull Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Sorry, the second half of my post did not post!
I was writing that from mid 30 foot to 50 foot, you go from one to multiple heads, much higher displacement which can make boat handling much harder around docks, a 50 foot boat would have an engine 3 times the size of the 24 hp diesel in my 35 foot boat.

I have a mid 60's friend who traded in his cal 39 for a 50 foot swan. The boat cost 4 times as much, and after two years he would kill for his smaller boat back, try cranking in the headsail during a blow without an electric winch.

mid 30 foot Tartans, Allied, Saber, Bristol, Alberg, Seasprite, Cape Dory around 30-40k that don't need much or any work is where I'd look. It costs a lot more in money and time to buy a fixer upper then to get a boat in good shape to begin with. Even if you get a boat in good shape boats are expensive. I have done every bit of maintenance myself on my boat and am still shocked at how much I spend. If the yard did everything, add $55 to $85 an hour to what I spend on parts and materials.

Good luck, and instead of spending time on lakes in Virginia, take a look at the Crew forum for cruisers looking for crew. Try going on a delivery up or down the East coast. Annapolis is not too far and is a great place for you to hook up with someone for some great experience.
I Thank you for your advise,I will check into some sailing clubs in the Virginia Beach/Tidewater area,this is only a 3hour drive,I am sure this will give me a greater insight,I may not like sailing after I try it.At this point in my life I want to try things that I have though about for a long time,some I have tries I have enjoyed,others were less exciting.
riserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:21   #18

Re: Hull Type

I think the advise I have recieved on this forum has been very helpful,Now ,from what I hear I will be better suited to the 30 to 40 ft range.Most of the sailing that I want to do,after I am seasoned a bit ,will be alone or with maybe one or two other people.I don`t like the idea of the boat being on the hard ,if I wanted that I would have kept my motorhome.I plan on only sailing the east coast and only in spring,summer,fall.
I guess if the boat is under 40 ft it could be moved to my home in the winter and stored there.
I am glad I found this forum with all the good advise and am sure I willl recieve more ,Thanks All.
riserman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull