Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 16:59   #1

Boat: Hunter 45 CC
Hunter 450 Passage Deck Hull Joint

Hello All
I hope to find information and details on the Deck Hull joint of the Hunter 450 Passage, 2001. Preparing to purchase a Hunter 450 and I'd like to gather any knowledge from Hunter owners who have experience with the inspection, and maintenance of this joint and Rub Rail. Please let me know.

Al
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 17:42   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Hunter 450 Passage Deck Hull Joint

There's a few threads on the Hunter 45 Have you seen them?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-34300.html

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 17:46   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Al View Post
Hello All
I hope to find information and details on the Deck Hull joint of the Hunter 450 Passage, 2001. Preparing to purchase a Hunter 450 and I'd like to gather any knowledge from Hunter owners who have experience with the inspection, and maintenance of this joint and Rub Rail. Please let me know.

Al
It’s an outward flange bolted together it with a hard rubber bumper rub rail over it. It will take quite a smack and mine has never leaked. Most leaks I’m heard of is due to people putting too long of screws into it. Most common leakage is the aft bottom and most just take the rub rail of fill with sealant and put back on. I’ve never done anything to mine and only way to inspect would be to take the rub rail off.
Old 24-08-2019, 12:16   #4

Thanks for the info guys
Old 25-08-2019, 08:27   #5

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

We have a 2003 Passage 420 and owned her about 7 years. Our rub rail has proven to be unbelievably strong and we recently learned why. We toured the Hunter factory about 2.5 years ago and during the tour we watched the deck and hull fitting being done on a new 50CC. Both pieces have an outward flange about 2.5 to 3 inches. They would lower the deck to the hull and craftsmen would go all around and mark any places that needed grinding, they would continue to do this until the fit was even all the way around. When we toured they were very close to the final fitting as the engineer explained the whole process. Once the fit is even the deck is lifted the last time and 3M 5200 is applied all the way around, the deck is lowered and through bolted every 8 or so inches. When the 5200 is cured the flange is ground back until the rub rail fits over it all the way to the deck. Then a stainless steel strip is put in place and screws go through the rub rail well into the flange. The result is a very tough rub rail.
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 10:01   #6

Thanks Onewadd
I should stop at Hunter plant some time It would be interesting to see how thy build the boats. It does help my reassure my confidence in the boat
Old 25-08-2019, 10:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Thanks Onewadd
I should stop at Hunter plant some time It would be interesting to see how thy build the boats. It does help my reassure my confidence in the boat
You could be a bit late. The factory is closed and for sale, at least the address in their website is for sale.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1470...a-FL/15431645/
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 12:41   #8

Boat: Hunter 49

The Hunter rub rail is incredibly strong. However if you ever have to replace it, the bends are near impossible to replicate unless you have the factory’s custom heat box to soften rail enough to make the curves. Not to mention the SS inserts.
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 13:01   #9

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
You could be a bit late. The factory is closed and for sale, at least the address in their website is for sale.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1470...a-FL/15431645/
Actually, the factory is still open and operating according to Hunter. What is for sale is the adjacent unoccupied space formerly used in production of other models no longer made.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:12   #10

I'm considering the purchase of a 450 that had been under contract by a previous buyer. The Survey was stopped when delamination was discovered below the Rub Rail, and a crack in the gel coat above the Rail, at the Sling Lift point. The previous buyer walked away. I'm told it was caused by improper lifting. I'm concerned the deck hull joint is damaged as well. An inspection of the joint wouldn't be possible without removing the Rail. The boat been sitting in the water for the last year. Should I run? Is there a way of testing the joint. The seller is having the delamination repaired. I'm not sure how to force the inspection of the joint. I know they would like to do the repairs while the boat is in the water.
Old 26-08-2019, 09:02   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
and a crack in the gel coat above the Rail, at the Sling Lift point.
“Above the rub rail”? I can’t visualize what you are referring to as there is nothing except sky (and the deck) above it.

Delamination is likely unrelated and may have existed since manufacturing or has occurred since then but typically not caused by stresses.

If the hull/deck joint has been damaged, it’s probably localized and therefore not a showstopper.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hull, hunter, passage