Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 10:49   #1

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Hypalon leak repair

Fortunately it has been quite a while since I've had to patch my dinghy (hypalon). Am sure the glue on board is well past its use by date so wondering what products people are using these days.

TIA
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:02   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Hypalon leak repair

On both my Hypalon Avon and my PVC Zodiac I used small patches and superglue. I've even use it for larger patches although at times I choose a flexible epoxy such as G-Flex.

Superglue patches usually hold for a couple of years than need to be re-glued.

Be creative and use C-clamps and pieces of wood to hold larger repairs in place until the glue sets. Wax paper of saran wrap keeps the glue from sticking to things which you want to take off later.
Old 07-01-2022, 13:47   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SC4000 is what we've used for hypalon. It is conveyer belt adhesive, and is super below the water line as well as above.

Have not found anything we like very well for PVC.

Ann
Old 11-08-2022, 10:03   #4

I joined this forum for one reason and it this question about repairing Hypalon.
I have the best answer for you.
There is a company called Northwest River Supplies or NRS that is the authority on repairing Hypalon white water rafts but is also the preferred supplier of everything involving river and lake sports. They are a great company.
The product you want to get factory quality bonding is made by Clifton. It is for Hypalon specifically. You can use the straight adhesive but cure times are very slow. Preferred is using with an accelerator which speeds the process up.
Just Google Northwest River Supply and you can find it in their catalog. It can be purchased through Amazon as well but more expensive. NRS is a top notch company. I was a guide and relied on these guys for 35 years so I strongly recommend. The adhesive is expensive at $29 for 5 oz and the accelerator is around $15. Clifton makes other adhesives so be certain you are getting the one specifically for Hypalon.
Happy boating!
Robert Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 13:13   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Skinner View Post
I joined this forum for one reason and it this question about repairing Hypalon.
I have the best answer for you.
There is a company called Northwest River Supplies or NRS that is the authority on repairing Hypalon white water rafts but is also the preferred supplier of everything involving river and lake sports. They are a great company.
The product you want to get factory quality bonding is made by Clifton. It is for Hypalon specifically. You can use the straight adhesive but cure times are very slow. Preferred is using with an accelerator which speeds the process up.
Just Google Northwest River Supply and you can find it in their catalog. It can be purchased through Amazon as well but more expensive. NRS is a top notch company. I was a guide and relied on these guys for 35 years so I strongly recommend. The adhesive is expensive at $29 for 5 oz and the accelerator is around $15. Clifton makes other adhesives so be certain you are getting the one specifically for Hypalon.
Happy boating!
What are the storage requirements and how long does it last?
Old 11-08-2022, 13:20   #6

Boat: J Boats J/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Fortunately it has been quite a while since I've had to patch my dinghy (hypalon). Am sure the glue on board is well past its use by date so wondering what products people are using these days.

TIA
Bill
After trying some of the hypalon glues and having patches fall off, we have been using West G/5 epoxy adhesive for the last year and a half. Fingers crossed, not one has fallen off or leaked with it. We even made repairs while inflated and floating in the water. I don't think it is a listed use, but it is our favorite so far. It has also worked on our inflatable SUP.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair