Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:32   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
I Blame it On Cruisers Forum !

Well, it is all there, isn't it? All that information, all those good ideas and engineering solutions to questions one has, niggling for a long time inside one's little head. In the end it had to be done. Yes, we bought the new genset to sort out the electrics once and for all. The plan was: take old one out, fix a few wires, drop new one in and there, the skipper and I live happily ever after.

Only it never was thus.

Forward cutless bearing comes off its housing (don't ask me, I'm the one that deals with the things that go wrong up the mast, humans don't like climbing). So, out of the water she comes, what to do? Might as well use the oportunity to do other work while on the hard. So, out comes old genny, which sits on top of the fuel tanks. Great opportunity to take fuel quantity senders out and see what was wrong. Talk about opening a can of worms!

So far we have all the bits to re-wire just about everthing lying in the pilot berth. Now it seems to be the right time to fix a few clamps and hoses, right? Yes. Out come the filler hoses. All the cables that are tied to them. Fittings into the tanks. And there I find myself opening the inspection ports (thankfully large). No prices for guessing where it all ends up. Yes, inside the tank cleaning 17 year old accumulated gunk! And we thought we were going to be playing with a few wires and going sailing in the afternoon....

Anyway, I'm sure the tanks never smelt so good before; as for us, probably never smelt so bad! But now we can eat from the inside of the tank. Only we had to cut the wires to the the gas solenoid. Amongst others. A lot to say for bananas.

So, how do we go to the fueling pontoon now that we haven't any fuel in the tanks? Not another can of worms, surely?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:36   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: I Blame it On Cruisers Forum !

Welcome to the unspoken joy of boat ownership. Projects beget projects.

Per chance do you have a jerry can?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

That's my next project remove the fuel tanks and clean them. We do have jerry cans to refill the tanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Getting the fuel is no problem. I just want to go sailing and bits keep coming off! Can anything ever be easy? Please?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:50   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Getting the fuel is no problem. I just want to go sailing and bits keep coming off! Can anything ever be easy? Please?
Easy .......... rarely if it was really needing to be done in the first place. At least that's the way is always seems to me when the "project" took a lot more than I thought it would.

But then again it will never be easier by putting it off and letting it grow into a bigger project.