Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2023, 15:16   #16

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: I have a crack

No, i want to see the orientation of that bearing and the ram

Never ind, i see it now at the end of the ram.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 15:19   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I guess I’ll add another thousand dollars to the damages. +800 for a day of work. So 1800 total.

I do have to leave however. I’ll just run it as it is I guess.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 15:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
No, i want to see the orientation of that bearing and the ram

Never ind, i see it now at the end of the ram.
Yes. That’s why it’s easy to break if it gets leveraged wrong. It had all of that mechanical advantage going into it and the power of the storm throwing the rudder and kick up trunk around.
Old 27-06-2023, 15:24   #19

You can buy the ball mount assy separate from the ram

https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...NDQzNS4wLjAuMA..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	636D271A-BDCA-47BE-8EB1-6C3A9A765A2E.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	277414  
Old 27-06-2023, 15:26   #20

Quote:
You can buy the ball mount assy separate from the ram
Whoa!!!!! Good save!!!!

I thought you could only get them as a package. Fantastic. Thank you!

What I will definitely do. But I have to get to your area first.
Old 27-06-2023, 15:30   #21

Put a c clamp across it, perpendicular to the ram shaft and run it in good weather.
Old 27-06-2023, 15:31   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chotu, that place is so shallow that your boat would have been endangered by the wave action if they hadn't moved it out. Your choice, not theirs, to have not moused the anchor. I think they did the best they could, under the circumstances. Not their fault things weren't re-assembled, either, it was a choice to leave it as is because it is how it needed to be to get out of the shallow spot.

Sorry for the damage to the boat, and of course, it makes you feel heartsick, but just carry on, fix when possible, and reconsider the perceived safety of shallow nooks, as they can be boat death traps, even for shallow draft, buoyant vessels.

Ann
Old 27-06-2023, 15:33   #23

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Not correct. It went to the extreme angle because it was not put together and it was out in a storm. Typically when it’s in use, it pops out of a little holder. But it was not put together and ready to use. Everything was apart still.

It got leveraged into an area that it’s not supposed to go since it wasn’t put back together

Sorry for presuming Hope this info helps
Suggest you install mechanical stops to prevent tiller arm travelling too far.
pg 6-8 http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c....J-343319J.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	mount ram.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	277415
Old 27-06-2023, 15:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Sorry for presuming Hope this info helps
Suggest you install mechanical stops to prevent tiller arm travelling too far.
pg 6-8 http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c....J-343319J.pdf

Attachment 277415
That’s not what happened. Irrelevant. Sorry. But your posts aren’t applicable to the situation.

It was DISCONNECTED from everything and got pinched/ wedged because it was all disconnected.
Old 27-06-2023, 15:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Chotu, that place is so shallow that your boat would have been endangered by the wave action if they hadn't moved it out. Your choice, not theirs, to have not moused the anchor. I think they did the best they could, under the circumstances. Not their fault things weren't re-assembled, either, it was a choice to leave it as is because it is how it needed to be to get out of the shallow spot.

Sorry for the damage to the boat, and of course, it makes you feel heartsick, but just carry on, fix when possible, and reconsider the perceived safety of shallow nooks, as they can be boat death traps, even for shallow draft, buoyant vessels.

Ann

What???

You’re in Australia. And you know this? I don’t think so.

The boat was in a pond. A still a body of water with no motion surrounded on all sides by land and about twiice as wide as my boat. . It was put out into the open Pamlico sound.

Isn’t any wave action inside the little harbor. Look at the Pamlico sound. Open the chart. Check it out. Out there with no protection is where they put it. And they did it maliciously. Not because of any good intention.

I don’t know What kind of post you just made but it really aggravates me after what happened to me here.

You make it sound like there was a hurricane coming and they evacuated the marina. No. I was scheduled to move it the next day.

I mean, I like you. But wow. Rubbing salt in the wound here.
Old 27-06-2023, 15:47   #26

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Put a c clamp across it, perpendicular to the ram shaft and run it in good weather.
The C-clamp option is good if you can get it stay on the rounded ends. (Maybe grind some flat spots, since you'll be replacing anyway?)

The JB weld (or Marine-Tex) type of epoxy is an option as well.

Another option is to fix a metal strap across the top with self-tapping screws. Any hardware store should have a selection of straps. Formed to match the shape would be better, but not required. Drill pilot holes. No need to worry about dissimilar metals since it's short term.

Not sure how far you have to go before you can get a replacement, but pick 2 of the 3 (or use all three) as a temporary fix to try to get you there.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 16:00   #27

Yeah. The C clamp seems like the way to go. It’s a great idea. Just to give it a little extra support. It’s not under a tremendous amount of pressure anyway.

I guess that’s what I’ll do. I will clamp it and pick up the replacement as soon as possible.

So very frustrated right now. Ann’s post definitely did not help me.

It has been absolute hell here. I was supposed to be sailing out of here. Instead I got robbed.
Old 27-06-2023, 16:51   #28

Boat: Morgan 382

I think the best repair option would be to glue a strap across the crack with a structural adhesive as use in aircraft. I'm not able to recommend one, but understanding is that formulated for aluminum, and stronger than a weld. But also probably more expensive than replacement.

You might be able to remove the ball and socket and have a fabricator make a new socket. Probably more expensive than replacement, but you could select a different material. A Stainless Steel ball in an aluminum socket doesn't seem like a good long term choice.

For an emergency get yourself where you need to be type fix, a c-clamp, or maybe a ubolt if you can get it to fit around it.
Old 27-06-2023, 16:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I think the best repair option would be to glue a strap across the crack with a structural adhesive as use in aircraft. I'm not able to recommend one, but understanding is that formulated for aluminum, and stronger than a weld. But also probably more expensive than replacement.

You might be able to remove the ball and socket and have a fabricator make a new socket. Probably more expensive than replacement, but you could select a different material. A Stainless Steel ball in an aluminum socket doesn't seem like a good long term choice.

For an emergency get yourself where you need to be type fix, a c-clamp, or maybe a ubolt if you can get it to fit around it.

Sounds like a plan. Thank you. I think I will do the C clamp just to get to an area where I can receive things and work on it. I will Just order a new one. They aren’t too expensive.
Old 27-06-2023, 17:10   #30

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chotu what I find interesting is that only the aluminium casting broke. No cracked fiberglass around the mount? Did the mount come loose at all?
The other interesting thing is why disable the steering, we have a kick up transom mounted rudder and up or down it's not going to break. I would bet almost every boat in our marina could be towed out anchored and be fine.
I am starting to think the book about all your boating dramas is going to have to be written as a trilogy.
By chance is Stuart Hill your brother living in the UK? I see the resin allergy thing runs in the family!
Cheers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart...lamity%22_Hill
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote