Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2007, 19:02   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
I need a good line...

Not to meet people - but to redo the running rigging on our boat.

Unfortunately, and I apologize for replowing ground seen already, I've misplaced or lost the file I started when people were kind enough to refer me to various sources for running rigging, shortly after our wreck..

The storm pretty well flayed all our running rigging, and I'm looking to replace it all. We're going sailing (back in the water, all systems go, but still a pretty long to-do list before leaving permanently) tomorrow with what we have - but, as above.

Chiefly 9/16 and 7/16 lines, except for the furler and topping lift, I'm thinking along the lines of stay-set or stay-setX, endura or the like. We're just cruisers, so "state of the art" isn't critical, but I'd like something which doesn't stretch much, and has good abrasion and UV resistance.

I've got a Port Supply account, but their prices aren't any better, usually, than can be found with a bit of looking. If you were re-rigging your boat, who'd you use (or suggest based on observation of someone else getting good service and pricing)?

Secondly, we're going to replace our jack line. We're of confused mind, as we've got a vinyl coated line similar to a stanchion-based lifeline currently. It's held up for many years - but like stanchion lifelines, you can't see if it's rusting - and the coating has cracked in some places, showing rust, so that's the presumption.

Leaving it on deck without a cover, a stainless wire would rust for sure, staining the deck. OTOH, leaving a webbing jackline there risks UV degradation. As we don't expect to sit in any one place very long, bringing it in when we throw out the hook, and resetting it usually won't work - so we expect it will be a permanent fixture on deck.

I've heard of some of the newer exotic running rigging lines being used for jack lines - and even standing rigging (that's not an interest point for us, just a data point WRT strength).. If there's no stretch (long deck = lots of stretch potential), and they're designed for long exposure, perhaps that's a better way to go.

Who's done any of the three, and why did you choose that?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at Web-Folio -- Your Portfolio on the Web !
Follow us at Flying Pig Log | Google Groups and/or
TheFlyingPigLog : Morgan 461 Hull #2, Flying Pig

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands.

You seek problems because you need their gifts.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 19:26   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Flat webbing is the way to go for jacklines. It doesn't roll under your foot and if you're worried about UV you can get protective sheathing for it. Gets back to the problem of not being able to see the webbing itself though, but if it is UV protected then your only other problem is likely to be chafe and this will be evident on the sheathing long before it affects the webbing.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 19:40   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Skip,
As jacklines I've always used old rigging and its always been stainless. Even the smallest diameter will be more load capable than webbing. When inport I roll it up and put it below decks. I don't like webbing because it stretches and it will slip underfoot just like stepping on a dacron sail.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 00:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rope Inc. (Ft. Lauderdale)

Rope, Inc. < Rope Inc. for Marine, Boats, Yachts and Architechtural > is a subsidiary company of Nance & Underwood Rigging and Sails < Nance Underwood Rigging and Sailing Equipment and Repair >.
Rope Inc / Nance
262 SW 33rd Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33315
Nance Toll Free: 800-328-9782
Rope Inc Toll Free: 888-596-7673
Tel (954) 525-6575
Fax (954) 525-5887
Email: info@ropeinc.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 07:35   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Cajun Trading Company, commercial and pleasure marine cordage rope products, Boating and Yachting Supplies

Skip - give theses folks a try - they will make a complete set for your type of boat and rig with your specs for splices etc.

The price is I believe the best out there - especially for a complete package deal.

Good luck,

Regards, Randy
Old 27-05-2007, 22:37   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Skip,
As jacklines I've always used old rigging and its always been stainless. Even the smallest diameter will be more load capable than webbing. When inport I roll it up and put it below decks. I don't like webbing because it stretches and it will slip underfoot just like stepping on a dacron sail.
JohnL
Depending on the size of the old rigging, if you don't trust it to hold your mast up under constant tension would you trust it to hold you on a tether under shock load? Would you fit used rigging wire seatbelts to your car? I personally like the stretch & give of synthetics but like any of these materials, don't rely on it to save your life more than once. After any severe strain it should be replaced.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote