Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 14:04   #1

Boat: None
I Need Windows

My wife and I were shopping for Last Boat III in Annapolis last weekend. I really like it there. Once again Dock Street served up a top-shelf crab cake. We saw a very nice Jeanneau 54DS at the city wharf on Saturday while walking to a bar, and we looked about for the owner. The boat name was Auspicious, and I think there's a forum member with a similar boat and boat name, so we were going to say "hi." We missed them, though.

We looked at six boats, and along the way I had a true "A-Ha!" moment. I really love sailboats. I'm to the point where I can name a lot of them on sight, and even tell you who designed them. But I keep not liking them after I go aboard. But on this trip we spent some time aboard a CT-56, and this was the first boat I was really, really happy to be aboard (down below, not on deck — I like them all on deck). We next looked at a Bristol 51, and then an Island Packet 45. I liked the Island Packet as well, but not the Bristol, and then it struck me: the boats I like on the inside are the ones I can see out of!!

There are a lot of boats that have see-outside visibility when down below, but the marketplace of ones that do not is much, much larger.

So I have a question or few:

(1) Has anybody added windows (topside portlights, for the sailing pedants among us) to a sailboat that didn't have them?

(2) And especially, does anyone have any idea what it would cost to add some windows? I told my wife -- a guess -- that we could do it for no more than $3K/window, needing a fiberglass tech and a cabinetry guru for a half day or so each, per window. But I'd love to hear from someone who knows.

Finally, my apologies for the copy/paste on more than one well-traveled forum. I know there is member overlap, but it's far from universal.

--
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 20:27   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: I Need Windows

Some boats have more portlights and opening ports than others. In the investigations following the Fastnet disaster, a great deal was made over portlights being stove in by heavy weather and they are considered still to be something of a weakness or an expense. Which is not to say you can't add them. But perhaps what you would be after is a motorsailor, a pilothouse boat, where there's a raised pilothouse area with good all-around visibility to spend time in?

If you plan to install portlights, bear in mind that you'll need to pick a boat with flat areas to install them in, or else you'll need to make up custom bases for each one, as they need to install in nearly flat surfaces.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind