Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
I Want to Add a Poop Deck

I like the idea of adding about a 1 to 1-1/2 foot stern deck to my Newport 28 for my cats.

It would be relatively flat, about 1/2 foot plus above the stern and I might add some small space underneath for small storage. There would be spindles and a top rail all around . . . about 9 inches high.

I have no idea if this is a poopdeck, stern pulpit, a boomkin or whatever and it seems that no one(per the internet) has ever done something like this.

If only I could find some examples or information as to make it work best.

Just trying to get the most from a 28+ foot sailboat.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Re: I want to add a POOPDECK

Here is what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poop deck.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	31473  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:58   #3

take a look at the stern pulpit on the HC38 in my avatar... if you can blow it up...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kismet--that is a nice ass boat--or should i say , nice boat a**....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:20   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
kismet--that is a nice ass boat--or should i say , nice boat a**....
You make me blush Zee...
Old 10-09-2011, 12:25   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post

You make me blush Zee...
bet yer as cute as yer boat....LOL.... blushing is good for ye.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

All of you Victory owners take the same picture of your boats. Must be "ass" men.

As far as we know ALL Victory40s (including the Trintella IVs) started life in the factory of Tyler Boats in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England.
Three prototype hulls were made. They consisted of a left and right side and a transom. The parts were subsequently bonded together encapsulating a four ton iron keel. The design was still evolving at this time. In particular, changes in the shape of the stem, the cutaway of the forefoot and the rear cabin were made. The window apertures were meant to be cut into the almost flat sides of the rear cabin and the transom. Only later was it decided to mould in recesses for the windows. At this point the project was almost killed off`and the moulds destroyed in favour of a completely different design and only narrowly survived. We believe that at least one of these prototypes still exists in the form of "Adaro" (pictured
below). The hull was evidently acquired by a South African company "Phoenix Grp" and subsequently sold as a `Phoenix 38`.

List
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adaro - Victory 40.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	31474  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Gord'
ROFLMpoopdeckO
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54   #9

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner

SURV, are you talking about covering over the aft foot or so of your cockpit, or building something that extends out over the water beyond the transom? If the latter, for it to carry any weight I'd think you'd have to have some sort of supporting structure under it to carry the load down to the transom.

My boat has a boomkin that is made of two 2x6" teak boards. They're through bolted to the aft deck about a foot inboard of the rail, and extend in a "V" shape aft of the transom, coming to a point about 2' aft of the rail. They're pretty hefty; my backstay and bobstay meet out at a stainless fitting at the "V". They easily carry my weight, which is not insubstantial; and it wouldn't be hard to build some sort of small deck on top of it.

Seems to me, though, that a deck like this might not stand up to any significant wave that hits it. And it will increase your "marina length" if that's a consideration. I find I always have to remember I've got that extra 2' out back there (to say nothing of the 5'+ bowsprit forward).
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 13:09   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I like the idea of adding about a 1 to 1-1/2 foot stern deck to my Newport 28 for my cats.
Wouldn't a kitty litter tray be easier?

Seriously, what you describe would seem to compromise your boat's design to a worrisome degree. I would be pretty reluctant to do it myself, YMMV.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 10-09-2011, 14:19   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I have no idea if this is a poopdeck, stern pulpit, a boomkin or whatever and it seems that no one(per the internet) has ever done something like this.

If only I could find some examples or information as to make it work best.

Just trying to get the most from a 28+ foot sailboat.
Funnily enough I was thinking about much the same thing a few months ago (but won't be happening any time soon though - if ever ). A couple of feet on a 30 footer can always find a use

Anyway, sounds like the arrangement the local fishing boats use to store their lobster pots - made of stainless steel and braced down towards the waterline. A few smaller motorboats (with o/b engines) have a similar arrangement (albeit built lighter ) to carry an inflatable dinghy over the o/b).......I have seen the same (dinghy carrying) arrangement on a small (23 foot?) yacht.....of course the big difference between motorboat and sail is the healing, and to avoid any bracing causing drag.

In my case was thinking of a glorified (motorboat style) bathing platform, except at deck level - maybe even on hinges for marina visits. As an old style centre cockpit I already have a couple of feet of deck space on the stern - another couple of feet would make storing a dink onboard (on passage) easy........and at anchor plenty of room for a full length sun lounger Time will tell how / if that ever works out.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 06:55   #12

Boat: victory 40

[QUOTE=GordMay;771970]All of you Victory owners take the same picture of your boats. Must be "ass" men.

It obviously takes one to know one eh Gord ?
victory40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck