Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 06:52   #1

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
Ideas on best Bowsprit

An old friend recently passed along to me a 1oz Asymetrical spinnaker that has a luff that is 8' too large for my boat. He had only used it once, and due to an accident, sold the boat but did not convey the sail for reasons I will never understand - and for obvious reasons, haven't questioned him on it. The sail is basically brand new.

He told me that he originally paid over $6,500 for it, and again, it's only been sailed once!

My local sail loft told me that for $1,000 they could cut it down, a full days job, and provide me a somewhat useable sail that I could use in light wind. Due to the size and shape of an asymetrical spinnaker, it would of course never perform the same after being cut.

I only have a mainsail and a 120 Genoa headsail at this point. I'd primarily be using it for light air sailing when crossing the atlantic.

According to my calculations with a luff that's 8' too large, I'd need a bowsprit that would extend just over 8.5' in length.

Bowsprit length = (J^2 + (I + 8)^2)^0.5 - J
Assuming an "I" dimension of 40 feet (12.19 meters) and a "J" dimension of 14 feet (4.27 meters), the required length of the bowsprit would be approximately 8.8 feet.

Is that crazy? Should I just have them cut the sail down? Skip the bowsprit? Sell it and have one custom made? Save up and purchase a code zero or parasailor?

If I were to install a bowsprit, should I go with Trogear (the fold down ones), Selden (the on deck, extend out version), or what's my best plan of action here?

I could, of course, simply sell the sail on here and do neither. I believe that if I cut it down, I'd have to install a pad eye that is through bolted to the bow anyway, so no matter what I do, it's not going to be a simple solution.

If the primary use is for when I'm becalmed, another idea is to add additional jerry cans, maybe even a 100 gallon fuel bladder or something, since the Hallberg Rassy Rasmus is basically almost a motor sailor anyway.

More updates to come on my other posts as it relates to the fuel polisher and day tank I'm installing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	274202  
SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 07:26   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Ideas on best Bowsprit

An 8.8ft bowsprit on a 35ft boat is pretty insane. I think you would easily spend over $1000 to install one that wouldn't rip out and damage the boat. If the sail loft is confident that they can make this sail work on your boat for $1000, then that's not a bad deal. If you are confident you can get a good price for it, try selling it. But I'd check that price against what the sail loft quotes you for an equivalent new sail for your boat.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 14:49   #3

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
An 8.8ft bowsprit on a 35ft boat is pretty insane. I think you would easily spend over $1000 to install one that wouldn't rip out and damage the boat. If the sail loft is confident that they can make this sail work on your boat for $1000, then that's not a bad deal. If you are confident you can get a good price for it, try selling it. But I'd check that price against what the sail loft quotes you for an equivalent new sail for your boat.
+1 on the bow-sprit length idea... At the most, you want it to be 2'... The Selden is a good choice or you can order one removable (or fixed with bolts) to install on one of the anchor rollers.
Old 17-04-2023, 20:29   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Did the sailmaker tell you that the asym luff is 8' too long? It would make more sense for you or your friend to sell the sail to someone who has the same kind of boat as your friend, and for you to take the money and buy a sail that fits your boat. Muaddib is also right that the bowsprit would be expensive to install. A suitable Selden unit in aluminum would run more than $1000 (not including installation), and might only stick out two feet. Carbon fiber would probably be needed for anything longer. ($$$$$$!) A sailmaker could also make an asym that flies from your anchor roller.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 20:57   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Sell it and get one made for your boat. Is there a HR owner's group? I'm sure flying an asym is not unique to you and I would bet others have mounted a u bolt on the bow breast plate/chain plate/anchor roller. Note a Code Zero is a reaching sail. Asyms or spinnakers are downwind sails. Going with a symmetrical spinnaker has it's positives like not needing a tack mount or bowsprit.

Running down wind another option you could use is two equal sized 120 genoas. Your Profurl should have two luff grooves. You would need a whisker or spinnaker pole to use them effectively. You could use a line control whisker pole for the windward sail and use the boom end (with a snatch block on it) to hold out the leeward sail. Easy to douse or shorten sail this way as you simply roll them up. At the end of you downwind crossing just remove one of the head sails. Tighten the luff of one sail by using a line on the tack as a down haul. The other sail can be tensioned as normal
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 01:23   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Is there a HR owner's group?
Yes, we are on Groups.io.
BaccaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 10:07   #7

The Selden one works well, several boats at my dock have it and like it.
8.5' is way too long, as others have said. The boats I see with the Selden have it between 3' and 4'. 3' probably best.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 11:39   #8

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I built an aluminum 8' overall bowsprit for a Downeaster two years ago. Half of it was mounted to the deck. If you want to extend 8 feet you need about 16 foot tube. I spent about 40 hours just building the bowsprit, and more installing it. It will be around long after the boat.

Just to give you an idea of the labor time it took me.
Seems easier to sell the sail and get the right one for your boat.

Or do as old timers a bamboo pole.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit