Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 13:36   #1

Boat: Nordship 40ds
Identify these Appendages

I don't know what these things are. They are located on the port side of the boat outboard at the back end of the keel and behind the keel respecively. https://picasaweb.google.com/mckenzi...17402350941378 and https://picasaweb.google.com/mckenzi...17416471154962

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:38   #2

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Re: Identify these Appendages

Your photo gallery is locked, so I can't see the pictures.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:43   #3

Boat: Nordship 40ds

Sorry Catamount. Here they are in a public album https://picasaweb.google.com/mckenzi...lianJobPublic#

I've also added a picture of what I think is the packing gland. I have never seen one like this and am wondering if it is a dripless stuffing box or what.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 13:55   #4

Boat: Cruisers inc ,Avanti V 29 Reel Time

Looks like the one on the left is a cooling water intake, and the one on the right is a transducer for a depthfinder.

Take care, Tommy
bushaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:00   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Charlie:

The slotted bronze fitting is a seawater intake scoop, probably for engine water. The oblong bronze thing looks like a Dynaplate which is one type of grounding system for a single sideband transceiver.

The packing gland is a dripless type. Don't know which brand. Since you had to have the boat hauled to take these pictures you need to "pinch" the rubber boot to let it fill with water after you relaunch. Pinching breaks the mechanical seal momentarily and lets the gland fill with water. Otherwise you may have an airbubble which will let it run dry and heat up, possibly damaging it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:14   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

One is your raw water intake for the engine. Inside the boat you will see a seacock attached to it. Make sure the whole thing is sound and clean. Exercise the seacock temporarily. If you are ever to turn the engine without starting for many tries, close this intake or else you may flood the engine.

The other is a ground for some equipment or else a radiator for a fridge (but I bet it is a ground. It should never be (have been) painted over in the first place. You may try to clean it but it looks like replacing will be more productive (if you do need the thing in the first place).

The rubber boot is OK and a typical Volvo Penta gland. While on dry undo it, clean and grease with VP gland grease. If absent, use vaseline. Make sure it is sound and has no cracks, etc.. VP recommends changing these every X years. Once in water you will squeeze it slightly to let some water in and air out. If afterwards it drips too much, turning it slightly every 15 degrees or so normally brings it top a perfectly dry position.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Charlie:

The slotted bronze fitting is a seawater intake scoop, probably for engine water. The oblong bronze thing looks like a Dynaplate which is one type of grounding system for a single sideband transceiver.

The packing gland is a dripless type. Don't know which brand. Since you had to have the boat hauled to take these pictures you need to "pinch" the rubber boot to let it fill with water after you relaunch. Pinching breaks the mechanical seal momentarily and lets the gland fill with water. Otherwise you may have an airbubble which will let it run dry and heat up, possibly damaging it.

David
Apologies, I did not read your post and basically repeated your words. No offense.

barnie
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I believe the second is a ground for SSB. My copper plated are attatched to the exact same shape.It has been painted since I bought the boat. Should it be scraped clean?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I believe the second is a ground for SSB. My copper plated are attatched to the exact same shape.It has been painted since I bought the boat. Should it be scraped clean?.......i2f
you'll almost need to sandblast it clean, the dynaplates are made of little bronze spheres all mashed together for maximum surface area.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:35   #10

Yep. Maybe by sandblasting. But the spheres are (I believe) covered with some other material (they do not have bronze appearance when the plate is new) and by sand blasting you will probably remove this fine layer too - maybe not what was envisioned by the designer?

b.
Old 08-04-2011, 20:36   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The parts have been identified as for cleaning, just scrape the barnacles and paint off the Dynaplate (ground for your SSB) don't paint it. Clean off the raw water intake scoop including getting the slots properly cleaned. Bottom paint the scoop.
Old 09-04-2011, 00:20   #12

Boat: Able 50

The first is definitely a strainer for salt water inlet which could serve either the sink or the engine. You should remove it to clean and paint with antifoul underneath. Don't forget a dab of Sikaflex on each screw when you put it back.

Agree the second is a grounding plate for the SSB. Just clean the old paint off and leave it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote