Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 23:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Improving Bottom Paint

Anyone with experience adding hot pepper powder to their bottom paint. It's not Cayenne but some stuff that's something like a thousand times hotter than Habanero that I heard people use. It's available from a specialty spice place in SF. I have the address around here somewhere if I can just figure out where. A google search would probably turn up the source.

In any case, anyone tried improving the 'spice' of their bottom??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 23:13   #17

Boat: Bollard 50' Sea Fever Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
I know some of you will think this is a dumb question but if you don't ask? I understand that the anti fouling is basisd a lot on the copper contine of the paint. I've also been told that adding pepper as some people say to do is a waste and doesn't work to increase the anti fouling properties. What since copper seems to be the main thing what about taking a wheel grinder and some copper tubing grinding up a bunch of copper dust and adding it to the paint to increase the anti fouling properties? I'm sure it would change the color some but for the most part it's under water anyway. Just a thought, has anyone tried this?

Another way to think about adding copper pipe shavings to antifoul is that every piece of copper you put on your hull when immersed in salt water becomes a battery.
The chemical process used by antifoul producers is not "grind up copper" and since they are smarter than me and have done a lot more research I tend to think that if their product could be improved by the addition of Paprika, pepper, weed killer, copper shavings or the dust from a fairies wings that they might have already put it in there.
I just put on a good quality antifoul paint as instructed by the manufacturer.
Seems to work!
Regards. Shiner
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 23:13   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Anyone with experience adding hot pepper powder to their bottom paint. It's not Cayenne but some stuff that's something like a thousand times hotter than Habanero that I heard people use. It's available from a specialty spice place in SF. I have the address around here somewhere if I can just figure out where. A google search would probably turn up the source.

--add a dash of Worcestershire, a squeeze of lime--Uuuhhm good.
Don't let the shells get up behind your dentures.
Old 14-11-2011, 23:50   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Improving Bottom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I find it amusing when kitchen-sink chemists think they can improve a product that has decades and millions of dollars of R&D behind it. If "improving" anti fouling paint were as easy as adding peppers or copper filings to it, it would be common practice. But it's not. Because it doesn't work.
TOTALLY AGREE
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 00:16   #20

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I find it amusing when kitchen-sink chemists think they can improve a product that has decades and millions of dollars of R&D behind it. If "improving" anti fouling paint were as easy as adding peppers or copper filings to it, it would be common practice. But it's not. Because it doesn't work.
Exactly, Exactly, Exactly!!!!

This all stems from a sub-set of the cruising community that believe that cheaper is better. Most of this sub-set doesn't really do it, they dream about it.

I am glad that to see that there are a few people like you who get it.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 00:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What do you get otherwise
Don, we had a problem with Micron66 which we are 99.9% sure it was the application, not the product. It pealed in places when we lifted it after two years to reapply with the new M66, which is Micron77. We got 2 full years in the Tropics from the application of M66, but the pealing caused us more expense on the preparation of the new application of Micron77.

International gave us a $500USD certificate that can be used on our next purchase anywhere in the world at any price...i.e. no fine print. It took some emails, phone calls, photographs, and a visit by their rep in Turkey, but they did come through for us.

International stands behind their product even when it is possible it was the painter's fault.

So, to answer your question: My experience is what you get is what you deserve...buy good products from reputable manufacturers and don't add any pixie dust to it and you will be happy...happier if you happen to have a problem.

Bill
Old 15-11-2011, 04:00   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

If you got $500 worth of coupons and it was 99.9% not the paint to start with but the application, you got more than you deserved.

But most times the best you could expect is to get a coupon for some more of the paint (or any other production) that didn't work to start with.

I would always recommend spending more to be sure to get good bottom paint. The work is so much more than the cost of the paint. But that's me.
Old 15-11-2011, 04:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
If you got $500 worth of coupons and it was 99.9% not the paint to start with but the application, you got more than you deserved.
Don,

Obviously, I did not make myself clear enough for you, because I am a honorable person and would never cheat anyone. When we examined the peeling paint with the International rep, I told him that I felt that the NZ painter had thinned the M66. It had all of the indications of thinning...brighter and glossier than the coat beneath it. My first complaint was with the NZ painter, but he deflected the complaint to his paint supplier. Because he did not want to take responsibility and because he was the largest user of M66 in NZ, the paint supplier gave me the adjustment saying that there was a slight chance it was the paint.

And, Don, I did not get a coupon for more paint. I have used M66 for years and plan to continue with M77. When I buy Micron77 for my next bottom job I have a certificate that says that International Paints (mfg of M66 & M77) will send me $500USD.

I hope this is clear to you and others because I would not want you and others to think that I somehow got more than I deserved.

Bill
Old 15-11-2011, 04:55   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

I wasn't saying you cheated anyone, sorry if you read it as such. But the paint company gave you something that sounds was the fault of the painter. In which case they deserve a thanks. But I don't understand the difference between a coupon for paint and a refund for after buying your next paint from them.

But going back to the post you quoted me from that started this; most times with a failed paint etc all the manufacturer is going to do is give you a coupon for using the next time you buy their paint again.
Old 15-11-2011, 13:30   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

You want pure capsicum, it's not that hard to find. Same stuff they use in pepper spray.
About ten years ago there was a product on the market for awhile called Hotbottom which was a Capsicum based anti-fouling. They gave us a bunch for a trial (we get free samples from most major manufacturers). We did a few bottoms for people who were interested. The anti-fouling was OK, not great but acceptable. However, it was a nightmare to apply. Every little tiny droplet of roller spatter burned like fire, just breathing the fumes burned your nostrils, and after rolling a bottom out your eyes would be cherry red and burning for hours. Basically like painting a bottom with pepperspray. I can't even imagine what sanding it would be like! We refused to use it and they closed up shop shortly afterwords.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 13:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
You want pure capsicum, it's not that hard to find. Same stuff they use in pepper spray.
About ten years ago there was a product on the market for awhile called Hotbottom which was a Capsicum based anti-fouling. They gave us a bunch for a trial (we get free samples from most major manufacturers). We did a few bottoms for people who were interested. The anti-fouling was OK, not great but acceptable. However, it was a nightmare to apply. Every little tiny droplet of roller spatter burned like fire, just breathing the fumes burned your nostrils, and after rolling a bottom out your eyes would be cherry red and burning for hours. Basically like painting a bottom with pepperspray. I can't even imagine what sanding it would be like! We refused to use it and they closed up shop shortly afterwords.
Lol i could only imagine the reaction to any swimmer approaching the boarding ladder "with eyes wide open". As previously mentioned bottom paint is a science however the fish in the ocean seem to have mastered the problem by exuding something in their protective slime.....Whats that about? Maybe the go is to scrape a half bucket of fish slime into the anti-foul? mmmmmmm!
Could call it 'Slimey-bum' ????
Old 15-11-2011, 14:24   #27

He who discovers the 5-year bottom paint will become wealthy beyond belief!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
He who discovers the 5-year bottom paint will become wealthy beyond belief!
Oh, Dang! I meant HE/SHE!
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:32   #29

Correct..lol
Not sure what submarines use? Probably some cyanide or similar???
Copper sheathing is the go however those nails really screw with your fibreglass and for steel they just seem to bend!

I have heard of a hull being built in Cupro-Nickel however extremely expensive!!

Tags
bottom paint, paint