Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 20:59   #1

Boat: B423
In Water Hull Wax

Has anyone ever heard of a service provider that will wax a boat while it’s in the water?

I’d like to have a boat hull polished and waxed, but I have no reason to haul her out at the moment.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:36   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: In Water Hull Wax

It’s called “ the owner “. My shoulder pain went away with enough ibrufin
Old 02-05-2022, 02:19   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm going to have a go at it when I come up with a scheme to counterbalance the polisher and keep it from electrocuting me.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:21   #4
Nearly an old salt

In Water Hull Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'm going to have a go at it when I come up with a scheme to counterbalance the polisher and keep it from electrocuting me.
I used my dinghy

I use this https://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=L&ai=D...Q&dct=1&adurl=

And a simple single sucker suction pad.

The einhell went into the sea , but nothing that taking it apart and wd40 couldn’t fix. The battery pack was a write off.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:15   #5

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Just make sure you're plugged into a GFCI outlet for the electrocution danger.

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:59   #6

I've seen it done, where they have two guys on a raft next to the boat. No idea the cost as we always do that in the spring before launch.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:18   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Predominant method here, google "boat detailers near me". Ya put it next to a dock. I dropped a cheap plastic corded polisher once and it ran all the way to the bottom and back up as I retrieved it, didn't even trip the breaker.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:47   #8

Boat: B423

Thanks for the suggestions. Seemed like kind of a silly question. The suction cup as a handle never occured to me.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:30   #9
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Seemed like kind of a silly question. The suction cup as a handle never occured to me.

Yes very useful hold on with left hand , buff with the right. (Assuming you’re right handed ) stops the torque reaction issue.
Old 02-05-2022, 16:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes very useful hold on with left hand , buff with the right. (Assuming you’re right handed ) stops the torque reaction issue.
That is brilliantly simple, one of those "why didn't I ever think if that" kind of things. Thanks!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 17:59   #11

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Predominant method here, google "boat detailers near me". Ya put it next to a dock. I dropped a cheap plastic corded polisher once and it ran all the way to the bottom and back up as I retrieved it, didn't even trip the breaker.
It won't trip a conventional breaker, water is not a good enough conductor. It will trip a GFCI type breaker.

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:28   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

The pros I see all have those cordless polishers and a row of batteries plugged into the nearest outlet. Should be easy to do from a floating dock.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

If I just want a little more protection I use Woody Wax. It isn’t as durable as some but it gives me an extra month of beading. I don’t worry about buffing it out just put it on with a soft deck brush working from the dinghy or dock.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:51   #14

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Just go to the local full service boat yard and find the paint /polish guys. They will do it.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 20:27   #15

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Some good advice above, but on the hard remains the easiest, the quickest and the cheapest, as things will fall in the water.

1. along side floating dock is the next easiest, but frequent re-adjustment of bow/stern lines may be need to prevent you getting crushed, or boat being too far away from the dock. Generally you have to turn the boat around to do the other side, and stern..... maybe when the pointy end is facing out.

2. I have painted and polished boats on a mooring, or away from floating docks. It is near impossible to do it from the deck.

3. Therefore a dinghy or raft is called for. make sure you have good protection from banging the dinghy against the hull!!!! I use mainly a plastic dinghy, with a fender both ends so to limit the pivoting of the dinghy.
With the gunnels being often too high to use as a handhold, and it certainly was towards the bow, I used 2 ropes from the other side of the boat, going underneath the boat, and then underneath the dinghy or raft. That way I could tie the contraption in such a way that I did not not drift too far from the hull which i was sanding or polishing. I also had another 2 ropes on the dinghy, one going forwards, and the other towards the stern. This to keep the dinghy in place longitudinal. It is a PITA to readjust the ropes all the time, and a helper on deck was helpful.
It helps it be ambidextrous as one hand/arm will get very tired or sore holding the sander or polisher. When I did that work I used corded tools. I had a thin nylon rope clipped to the railing so I would not drop it in the water.

4. It helps to heel the big boat the other way so one is not working as close to the water.

Tags
hull, water