Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 01:11   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Induction/Expanded Electric vs Propane What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The power cycling is a problem for simmering and other low heat cooking techniques. I already posted links to the Cooktek Apogee units which are the best and do not have these problems... but are expensive.

There is one other choice that works good and is half the price and that is the Vollrath Mirage Pro. I have that unit as well and use it as our daily cooktop.

I also have some $45 units that work surprisingly good but just not good enough for chef level requirements which is why I recommend to buy one expensive unit (Cooktek or a Vollrath in the US) and one or two of the cheaper ones for the easier tasks like boiling, frying etc.

Here is a good page to read: https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-c...tertop-burner/
Whoops. Sorry. Forgot that part.

Yes, makes complete sense to have one as a beast for boiling water and such and the other as a fine tuned machine for simmering.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 01:22   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Why is it a problem? Simmering on low is just 600 watts. The cycling - which is done very fast on modern induction cookers - means nothing to the inverter, nor does the generator, at least in my case, notice it all so long as there are other loads on. Maybe a smaller generator would have some problem, but I've never noticed anything.
Quote:
The power cycling is a problem for simmering and other low heat cooking techniques. I already posted links to the Cooktek Apogee units which are the best and do not have these problems... but are expensive.

There is one other choice that works good and is half the price and that is the Vollrath Mirage Pro. I have that unit as well and use it as our daily cooktop.

I also have some $45 units that work surprisingly good but just not good enough for chef level requirements which is why I recommend to buy one expensive unit (Cooktek or a Vollrath in the US) and one or two of the cheaper ones for the easier tasks like boiling, frying etc.

Here is a good page to read: https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-c...tertop-burner/
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 01:30   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why is it a problem? Simmering on low is just 600 watts. The cycling means nothing to the inverter, nor does the generator, at least in my case, notice it all so long as there are other loads on. Maybe a smaller generator would have some problem, but I've never noticed anything.
No I don’t see a problem on the electric side at all. The problem is on the food side. Cheap cycling units can’t simmer food... it’s boil then off the boil and off etc. instead of a steady low simmer.

If budget removes the option for a high end cooktop then good results can still be achieved by using a cast iron Dutch oven and put it in an electric oven which has thermostat controls. Even the cheapest ovens are accurate enough
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 03:04   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I see.

No issue with Nuwave - simmers like a dream.
Quote:
No I don’t see a problem on the electric side at all. The problem is on the food side. Cheap cycling units can’t simmer food... it’s boil then off the boil and off etc. instead of a steady low simmer.

If budget removes the option for a high end cooktop then good results can still be achieved by using a cast iron Dutch oven and put it in an electric oven which has thermostat controls. Even the cheapest ovens are accurate enough
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 03:17   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I see.

No issue with Nuwave - simmers like a dream.
It’s becoming embarrassing but I have a Nuwave PIC as well Yes, I like it but it does not have as much power as others and also has trouble simmering big pots like our 8 liter and carrying the weight of it.

For smaller pots our big plates are silly and sometimes a pan can be too small to register. There is a right tool for every job
We like the Nuwave for use on the table for breakfast sausage or a supper cheese fondue
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 03:53   #51

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

After reading Wikipedia would I be right in concluding you cannot braise on a normal electric hot plate? I suppose the key words are "digitally controlled" and the cheap portable hot plates are not?

Power and control
Induction cooking provides fast heating, improved thermal efficiency, and more consistent heating than cooking by thermal conduction.[2] The induction elements commonly have heating performance more comparable to a commercial gas burner, but are significantly more energy-efficient. Induction cooking is generally digitally controlled which provides precise control of the power and cooking temperature. This makes it to possible to boil a pot rapidly, and then keep a pot just simmering.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 04:52   #52

Heating is immediate and temperature is precise with the NuWave PIC. With the ability to cook at temperatures as 575°F, this revolutionary induction cooktop can boil water in as little as 90 seconds

Because it weighs only 5.4 pounds, you can take the NuWave PIC anywhere you go! Use it indoors or out - anywhere with a standard U.S. electrical outlet.

By using only 1300 watts, the NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop conserves up to 90% of the energy wasted by traditional gas or electric stovetops. The monthly savings on utility bills alone will pay for the appliance.

HOW IT WORKS

The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop is comprised of a series of induction coils (based on magnetic principles).

These coils generate magnetic fields that produce a warming reaction in steel and iron-based pots and pans.

In this way, heat is generated in the cookware and not on the cooktop surface, which is much more energy-efficient than traditional gas or electric ranges.

I wonder when we get somthing like that for heating water.
In technical terms the principal are almost stone age

Mean while
Maybe we should mount some cookware period, install a pump and a thermostat for cut off

I WANT ONE FOR CHRISTMAS

SAFE
The ceramic glass surface of the induction cooktop is durable. Engineering trials including a heat shock test at 760°F produced no breakage after 10 hours of cooking, making the NuWave PIC incredibly safe at virtually any cooking temperature.

PROGRAMMABLE STAGE HEATING
The NuWave PIC can do the cooking for you! Simply program the different cooking times and temperatures into the PIC and press Start and the PIC will do the rest. With 100 hours of programable memory, it’s like having your own personal chef.

PORTABLE
Unlike your old gas or electric stoves, you can take your NuWave PIC with you when you travel. Whether you’re on the boat, in the RV, or simply on a weekend camping trip, you can enjoy fast, induction cooking virtually anywhere you have access to a standard U.S. electrical outlet.

Yeah, maybe from now on we should do some cooking water when we wanna take a shower ?
watch the video clip
https://www.nuwavepic.com/common/PN76-01/howitworks.asp

Hahaha, what flavor do You like best ?
Old 26-12-2019, 05:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
After reading Wikipedia would I be right in concluding you cannot braise on a normal electric hot plate? I suppose the key words are "digitally controlled" and the cheap portable hot plates are not?

Power and control
Induction cooking provides fast heating, improved thermal efficiency, and more consistent heating than cooking by thermal conduction.[2] The induction elements commonly have heating performance more comparable to a commercial gas burner, but are significantly more energy-efficient. Induction cooking is generally digitally controlled which provides precise control of the power and cooking temperature. This makes it to possible to boil a pot rapidly, and then keep a pot just simmering.

Coop:. These aren't hot plates. Best to make the distinction in your post to be sure. These are creating a huge electromagnetic field nearby to your cookware that sets up a huge current inside your cookware. The resistance in your cookware to the big current causes heat in the cookware itself. Just like bad wiring in a boat. Ha ha ha.

Hot plates have a coil inside the burner that has resistance and makes the burner itself hot. Then you place the pan on the burner to get the pan hot from the pan conducting the heat same as a pan over a fire.

Two very different things.

Simmering by quickly switching on and off the current is the cheap way to do it. Simmering by providing a weaker electromagnetic field is the proper way to do it but takes more engineering.
Old 26-12-2019, 05:28   #54

This one looks good. Of course they make no mention of if it cycles to achieve lower temperature or not.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Ind...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 26-12-2019, 06:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This one looks good. Of course they make no mention of if it cycles to achieve lower temperature or not.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Ind...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I like the 14 Lbs of something like that and I love how easy it is to keep it clean.
A question I have never seen asked.... Could there be any posible interference with navigation electronics ?
Old 26-12-2019, 06:08   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
I like the 14 Lbs of something like that and I love how easy it is to keep it clean.
A question I have never seen asked.... Could there be any posible interference with navigation electronics ?
That's a VERY good question.
Old 26-12-2019, 07:20   #57

Boat: 44ft mono hull

I've been using an inductuon hob for over a year and never had any interference issues with any of my electronics or instruments.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 07:38   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I've been using an inductuon hob for over a year and never had any interference issues with any of my electronics or instruments.
I believe You but I also believe there is a little more to that
They say:

Whether you’re on the boat, in the RV, or simply on a weekend camping trip.

Now I hope we all agree it´s not that simple and there is a big difference on the boat.
I can´t just step out of the RV and I can´t walk away.My navigation electronics and my autopilot are my slaves and I rely on them
However I know what marine environment will do to all electric and electronic equipment.

So if I have a time bomb on board at least I wanna know
Old 26-12-2019, 08:43   #59

sv Delos did the conversion to induction cooking. They did a couple videos about it including a QandA. Thy are using Lithium Ion batteries, plus solar, plus wind, plus a generator. You can get all the s0ecif8cs of their install by contacting them a sv Delos.com. They'd be happy to share their experiences with you
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 09:48   #60

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
I believe You but I also believe there is a little more to that
They say:

Whether you’re on the boat, in the RV, or simply on a weekend camping trip.

Now I hope we all agree it´s not that simple and there is a big difference on the boat.
I can´t just step out of the RV and I can´t walk away.My navigation electronics and my autopilot are my slaves and I rely on them
However I know what marine environment will do to all electric and electronic equipment.

So if I have a time bomb on board at least I wanna know
Fair point, and as background I live aboard full time and in the last year have crossed the pacific to New Zealand so it's worked in any and all conditions.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane