Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 06:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Information on Stamas 44 Ketch

I am at a junction,should I build my mason 48 or take the 3 years it will take to build it and go Sailing.I have ran accross a Stanmas 44 ft Ketch that looks promising.This Vessell was built by Stamas Boats in Fl in 1984.I found they built 23 of these boats and stopped according to them because power boat sales were so good they didn't have time.The boat was designed by Robert Johnson now Island Packet's designer.My intentions are to Blue Water Cruise accross the Atlantic and whatever comes next.Does any one have knowledge of these boats seen one sailing ect.I would love to get some input.Many Thanks Dave
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53   #2

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: info on Stamas 44 Ketch

I have experience with two of these boats; quality and build is similar to Irwin or other less expensive production boat.

Both had significant cored deck problems. One had keel bolt issues. One boat had severe delamination of stringers where engine was mounted. Questionable glass issues; I have been in many yards where Stamas (both power and sail) were in for removal of delaminated fiberglass and refitting. Long process and repairs were always bigger than first estimated.

Sail poorly due to hull shape and windage. Lots of liveabord space if you want a dockaminium. Usually can be had cheaply.

Hope this helps; tread carefully and be sure you have a thorough inspection of structural fiberglass if you are in the pre-purchase mode.

Fair winds,
Dr. Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:26   #3

Re: info on Stamas 44 Ketch

Not to hyjac this thread but, I've posted other threads about "should I buy this boat" and always, you people with lots of experience speak of "cored deck" troubles etc. and my question is; where can a newbie find info on just how the heck these sorts of boats are built in the first place?

Like a tutorial or something on yacht construction? With pic of course!
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Re: Information on Stamas 44 Ketch

The best way is to contyact the builder if not available post an inquiry here always got an answer
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38   #5

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Rynegold:

Every boat is constructed differently; I spent several years in the boat building areas of south Taiwan and saw many different brands of boats being built.

The reality of production boat construction is that it is a balance between cost and quality.....The manufacturer wants to keep the costs down and the owner wants the most quality for the least money....

Many, many boats have cored construction. It is basically some type of wooden center (usually balsa) with two layers of glass, like an Oreo cookie. I don't know where you will find more info on this, but I am sure it exists. The priciple is great, until water gets into the core.

I sail aluminum now..... great until corrosion and electrolysis get into the mix... but I like welding more than glass repair!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16   #6

Thanks for the post sailnautilus; since you've see these built in the east; what about Tayana boats? are they "cored" construction?
Please comment in this thread so's not to hijack this one:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-67839.html
rynegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:19   #7

Boat: Stamas 44

Sorry to disagree, but we have had our Stamas 44 for 3 years and we are very fond of it. We looked at about 30 boats of similar price and vintage and found our Stamas to be in far better shape than the other boats we examined. We have had no delamination problems, nor have we had any deck problems.

We did have seal problems with windows. Any boat of this vintage will require upgrading and some refitting. We knew we were not getting a new boat.

This is not a fast boat, it does have windage and propwalk. She will never win any races, but she is a comfortable , sturdy boat that we find more than adequate for our travels.
pandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 11:39   #8

I cruised one for several years in the Caribbean. Solidly built. I did not have core problems or other structural problems other than some window leaks. It does not sail well, as it tends to point up when main is hoisted. I would not recommend it for long distance sailing, though we sailed from Annapolis to BVI via Bermuda. Very comfortable for cruising -- great engine access. Our old boat (hull #24) may be available -- it was very well equipped for coastal and island cruising.
rogerbohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 15:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Call Stamas Yachts,They are very helpful detailing construction methods,stil have the specs and materials used, Nice Folks
Old 02-08-2016, 06:38   #10
TGB

Boat: 1984 Stamas 44

we recently purchased a Stamas 44 and are experiencing a very hard steering problem when sailing in stiff winds. I feel we have eliminated sail balance as the culprit. I would like to hear any comments on the steering characteristics from anyone that has sailed this boat, thank you.
TGB is offline   Reply With Quote