Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 11:49   #16

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: Installed Cubic Mini Grizzly on our Gulf 32 Pilothouse

Change https://www.gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/
To http://www.gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/ without the s in https and you can safely browse the site.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 11:53   #17

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

Hi Folks, after hearing these concerns I looked into and learned something about the security on my site. Even though I had never been notified of this concern before, I got in and found I needed to enable a function to use HTTPS redirect on the site. I've done this, and it is supposed to now tell browsers that the site is secure. I love learning.
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 11:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvmille View Post
What is the burn time? I have a cubic mini in my camper and its great but the burntime is short. I am going with a different woodburner for my ship but the Griz is interesting.

If you need help with the cert issue lmk.

Cheers,
Ryan
I'm finding my burn time is good. With these highly compressed sawdust logs, which are much denser than normal wood, I am breaking them into smaller pieces for starting, and then in half once the box is hot. They easily get the box to 400-500F quite quickly. It's hard to estimate time, but I have found I am using two complete logs for a full afternoon and evening of heat. I've also found that a full box will still be warm and have red embers in the morning. So when we get up during the night to pee, we can just add some wood and will wake up to a still burning stove.

I dampen it down to extend the burn and lower the temperature a bit. But it is heaven on the boat! My oh my having a metal box that is 500F with that thermoelectric fan blowing the hot air around makes the boat deeply warm. Again, we cruise year round here in the PNW and it is always 35-45 degrees and often raining at night. Damp cold that goes right through you. A warm dry boat is a game changer. We are going this weekend again!
Old 17-02-2022, 12:16   #19

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Hi Folks, after hearing these concerns I looked into and learned something about the security on my site. Even though I had never been notified of this concern before, I got in and found I needed to enable a function to use HTTPS redirect on the site. I've done this, and it is supposed to now tell browsers that the site is secure. I love learning.
Nope. Not working.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:20   #20

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

The problem is not that you don't have https turned on (you do), it looks like the certificate referenced by your site is messed up. might need to setup a ticket with google to see what's happened
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:27   #21

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I don't know what is wrong ... but in the mean time to read the page, when you get this message, change the url in the title bar from "https" to "http" and in firefox it loads for me ... even redirtecting to an "https" connection.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 12:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
No still grave warning. But if you change the link to: https://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/ it works.

Your site is/was always secure. "Good" advice above: make a ticket with google! But changing link i.e. omit 'www' is easier (and correct*).

*Edit:

if you inspect the certificate for https://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com (click the lock in the URL) you see a.o. an entry for 'DNS Name
*.blogspot.com' and thus 'gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com' is covered. But such wildcard certificates do _not_ cover deeper wildcard levels, i.e. '*.*.blogspot.com'. The subdomain 'www' would be 'www.*.blogspot.com' and in your case 'www.gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com'. As said, this is not possible and thus your 'www.gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com' is not covered by the certificate and gives an error. I don't know but it has been stated that you cannot overwrite such a warning with Chrome. With Firefox and most 'normal' browsers you can. But of course no proper website gives such configuration errors. TL;DR --> change your link

[Edit edit ] I see you have changed the link, it works now
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 13:11   #23

It can take a few hours for the HTTPS to upload in the system. Refresh your browser and try again? I'd be curious if any of you are seeing the lock as I do? I see the lock when I load my blog. I did a check recommended on the support site and the blog shows up as having good certificates and all the other tests for security. Seems things are good and normal.
Old 17-02-2022, 13:16   #24

Thanks for the advice! I changed my signature link to my blog the way you folks recommended and hope that does it. In any case, fair winds and calm seas. We will be using our Cubic Mini Grizzly again this weekend as I said, and it will be the first time my wife will have been aboard with it. As rugged as she is, it will be a profound improvement in her comfort to have such a warm boat. The old Force 10 could only get the boat 30F above ambient. And it was loud, stinky and a wetter heat. The Grizzly raises the temp easily 40-50F and is bone dry. T shirts in the boat now, which was inconceivable previously. Supposed to be a little stormy this weekend here in the Salish Sea. Perfect for Aeolus!
Old 17-02-2022, 13:18   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Without the www. prefix it's working fine. With it, I was seeing the HSTS / certificate error. It looks like the certificate covers your blog as a sub-domain of blogspot.com on a wildcard cert. Those only go one level down with the wildcarding, so the cert is valid for gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com, but not www.gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 16:19   #26

Just back from a wonderful and lively San Juan Islands trip where we saw a little bit of every weather. Sunday was beautiful, sunny and benign. Last night, Sunday night, it hailed plenty and was blustery. Today, it's blowing 40 knots and we had a lively trip back from Stuart Island. Every time we are in festive conditions we are grateful for the Gulf 32. There is decent fetch in a NE wind down President's Channel, and those 3-4 foot rollers were hitting us more or less on the beam as we headed south into the lee of Jones and Orcas. But Aeolus just slides right through them like they aren't even there. Anyway, wondrous winter trip and people continue to stay away by the millions! Three day weekend and Reid Harbor had one boat! Aeolus!

The Cubic Mini was outstanding. We learned that with the wood we are using a new supply lasts a solid 90 minutes when dampened down, and to two hours if you push it. This means we burned the equivalent of two whole logs, that are about the dimensions of those duraflame things, though I break them into quarters and you can't use wax based logs in the Cubic. That's why we use these highly compressed logs that have no was or any other binding agents. The stove temperature will flow between 300-550 depending on the state of your wood. The boat was a steady 73 degrees and it was 35-40 outside. Super warm, cozy and dry. There is almost no smoke once this type of wood gets past the initial burn phase. My wife was thoroughly impressed and we are even more eager to be on the boat in the winter, though that has never slowed us down before. Photos are available if you look somewhere.

She and my son went swimming this morning at dawn, in 35 degree weather, and 46 degree Salish Sea water. Freaking crazy. But they were sure awake for the trip back to Friday Harbor!
Old 21-02-2022, 19:08   #27
cruiser

Bwindrope,

Nice to see/hear from you again. You may remember we met many many moons ago in Friday Harbor. I also had a Gulf32 at the time and you found me polishing the bronze stem fitting and put a write up on your blog about our 12vdc TV install. My my that was a long time ago. How the years pass quickly. I have visited your blog on and off over those many years even though I long ago sold that boat and bought a sailing cat.

I also installed a solid fuel stove on our boat and have been using charcoal and some scrap wood here and there with decent results. Can you point me to the compressed wood log you are using as I would like to give them a try as well.

Thanks and Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 19:28   #28

Yes, luvboats, I remember you! I've never gotten around to polishing that bow fitting...but everything else on Aeolus continues to improve. Yes, time flies. I'm starting to feel like an old sailor and when I come to this forum where I used to seek basic information I now find most threads are things I already know about. Do you still boat in the PNW?

We use these logs: https://homefirelogs.com/
Old 21-02-2022, 20:13   #29
cruiser

Hola and thanks for the link on the logs. I will order some and give them a try.

To answer your question, yes we do. I don’t wish to derail this thread but the short answer is we sold the Gulf, bought a Lagoon in LaPaz, brought it home to Seattle, cruised Alaska for 6 months when I retired a few years back, sold it and bought another cat which we have in Seattle still. Hoping to do another trip north, but this time for a year or two, then head south to warmer waters and most likely never return…….at least by boat. I will send you a Pm with my personal contact info and maybe we can cross paths this summer somewhere in the Salish sea and I can give you a hand getting that fitting nice and shiny!

Okay now back to your regularly scheduled programming concerning wood burning stoves on boats!

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 09:02   #30

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

I installed a wood burning stove on my boat several years ago, and I love the heat, I love the coziness of a 'fireplace' on rainy, damp nights (that is, most of them) on the inside passage. I've burned coal as well as wood... even charcoal occasionally. It draws very well and I've never had any trouble with smoke backing up or other problems.

What I don't love so much is the impact of the smoke on the OUTSIDE of the boat. The proximity of the charlie-noble to the dodger (maybe three feet) resulted in corrosion damage to the 'eisenglass'. important to protect such.

I suspect that the use of coal is a major contributor to the problem. I never used very much (25 lbs over 6 months or more of cruising), and we can all agree the environment will benefit from not using it at all. Still, smoke is smoke.

Anyone interested in the installation process is welcome to read all about it: https://svripple.blogspot.com/2016/0...ve-part-i.html