Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 22:43   #1

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
Installed Cubic Mini Grizzly on our Gulf 32 Pilothouse

I am reposting a thread on the subject of my installing a new Cubic Mini Grizzly on our Gulf 32 Pilothouse. It replaced a Force 10 kerosene heater we had used for many, many years, and what an outstanding upgrade.

We cruise year round so our boat heater is a big deal here in the Salish Sea.
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 23:45   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Installed Cubic Mini Grizzly on our Gulf 32 Pilothouse

My browser flags your blog and advises me not to proceed. I am interested in what you have to say but not at the risk of being screwed by your website.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 23:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
My browser flags your blog and advises me not to proceed. I am interested in what you have to say but not at the risk of being screwed by your website.
Well, that's a first and odd, given my blog has been around since 2008 and is on blogspot. I have no idea what your security settings are or browser settings are, but am disappointed you had trouble.
Old 16-02-2022, 23:52   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

This is what I get:

Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse because this website requires a secure connection.

What can you do about it?

Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse has a security policy called HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), which means that Firefox can only connect to it securely. You can’t add an exception to visit this site.

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 00:00   #5

Quote:
This is what I get:

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse because this website requires a secure connection.

What can you do about it?

Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse has a security policy called HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS), which means that Firefox can only connect to it securely. You can’t add an exception to visit this site.

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…
Well, if Papa Google doesn't have site safety sufficient for Firefox then I'm at a loss! I don't have a clue. All I know is my site gets dozens of visits a day every day for more than a decade and no one has ever commented that it gave them trouble. Again, I've no idea.
Old 17-02-2022, 02:21   #6

Quote:
There is no risk just go to advanced and continue. It's a nice article.

PS: the only risk there is is Google and its advertisement induced destruction of the internet. Hope you use uBO and other privacy enhancement means... While I understand that OP doesn't want to spend the work to migrate away from (Google owned) Blogger, it's a completely shitty and legacy (abandoned) platform by now.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 02:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
I am reposting a thread on the subject of my installing a new Cubic Mini Grizzly on our Gulf 32 Pilothouse. It replaced a Force 10 kerosene heater we had used for many, many years, and what an outstanding upgrade.

We cruise year round so our boat heater is a big deal here in the Salish Sea.
Interesting thank you! Do you also have a bit more information/pictures about the chimney? Especially how you did the deck "transit". A picture from the salon to give an impression how it looks "in total" would also be nice. I suppose the installation height was a compromise such that you can still sleep on the berth (apart from the easier installation)?
Thank you again, nice to get a practical Cubic insight from a sailor.
Old 17-02-2022, 04:15   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Same issue in Chrome:

Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Chrome blocks all access to the site! Can't even choose to continue to he site anyway!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 05:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Same issue in Chrome:

Chrome blocks all access to the site! Can't even choose to continue to he site anyway!
You should use Chrome only in special cases. Google deeply intrudes your privacy. Google (haha) it for yourself...

Use Safari, Edge or, better, Brave or Firefox. My 2 cents...
Old 17-02-2022, 05:59   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
You should use Chrome only in special cases. Google deeply intrudes your privacy. Google (haha) it for yourself...

Use Safari, Edge or, better, Brave or Firefox. My 2 cents...
I'm starting to use "brave" more often now. Edge, Safari and Firefox in my view are WORSE than Chrome!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 06:15   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

bwindrope, same security warning for me as well. I'm running Firefox on my Mac.

Quote:
But I am curious about your experience. I've been considering one of these stoves for some time now. How do you find the smoke/soot levels on deck?

I'm quite experienced with normal high efficiency wood burning stoves, which is why I'm drawn to having one on board. I know they burn clean once up to temperature, but there is always smoke and soot in the heating up and cooling down phases. What's that been like?
Old 17-02-2022, 08:36   #12

The soot is still a question, as we don't have hundreds of hours on it. I did use the Grizzly at home quite a bit over the holidays as I could just set it up in our home fireplace. I've had a lot of experience with high quality home wood stoves, and this seems the same. It burns really hot and clean. The few times I've used it on the boat, the draft has been excellent and there was no sign of soot or darkening on the deck or rigging. I'm sure that would also depend a lot on the wood you use. I'm using a locally sourced highly compressed wood sawdust log. They burn super clean and long and I like their density of btu so I don't have to store more on the boat.
Old 17-02-2022, 11:03   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks for this bwindrope. It's really great to have some first hand experience. Love to hear more as you progress with the stove, but so far it sounds very positive.
Old 17-02-2022, 11:31   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:

Got the same message as stormalong. Possibly you need to update a security certificate (or something similar) on your website. This needs to be done periodically.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 11:43   #15

Boat: Allied Seawind II

What is the burn time? I have a cubic mini in my camper and its great but the burntime is short. I am going with a different woodburner for my ship but the Griz is interesting.

If you need help with the cert issue lmk.

Cheers,
Ryan
rsvmille is offline   Reply With Quote