Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2024, 19:27   #16

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Installing a depth sounder and fish finder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I won't argue with that!

But there are so many different multi tool blades.

Now we’re cooking!
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 19:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Why would you want to move the transducer? There usually are a limited number of spaces on a hull where you can place a transducer due to the curve of the hull. Pick well and stick with it.

In my experience, acetone cleans up most anything. Something as simple as wax should be no problem at all. Even dish detergent should do the job reasonably well. It will take wax off your boat or car.
Well maybe you never have to. In my case the depth sounder/transducer were a good 20 yrs old and not working, so I decided to replace instead of troubleshooting. I’m on a small trailer sailer, so storage is limited, and moving the new transducer will turn some dead space into a spot I can store a small bin with some stuff in it.

Yes, I could just put the new one and the same spot and give up a tiny bit of storage. I did say I was a minor headache, not a major one.

For removal, I’ve never found soap to work well on wax, maybe I’m using the wrong stuff. I did end up using acetone and I think it did work, but like I said, it’s a bear on unfinished fiberglass. That’s because there is a ton of wax left in the nooks and crannies that you can’t scrape away, and you use a ton of rags and acetone trying to get it out. It’s not the end of the world, but it is a pain.

Edit: Also, if you are never going to have to move it, what’s the benefit of the mounting in non-permanent wax?
Old 21-02-2024, 19:45   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Why would you want to move the transducer? There usually are a limited number of spaces on a hull where you can place a transducer due to the curve of the hull. Pick well and stick with it.

In my experience, acetone cleans up most anything. Something as simple as wax should be no problem at all. Even dish detergent should do the job reasonably well. It will take wax off your boat or car.
I couldn't agree more. Why would you want to move and to where?

It has to be at or near the bottom of the hull and pointing down. It can't be installed over the top of ballast.

I installed one sensor in front of the keel and one behind the keel.(Don't think there will be too much turbulence) There wasn't a lot of choice
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 02:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Thanks for the tips. I am about three months away from trying anything, still too cold.
Polyester and talc= Bondo body filler, yes?

My sensor is on an older, multi-mode fish finder so it might like being in the water better than being in the hull.

I considered polyester/talc (I'm sure it would have worked).

Does Bondo body filler use a hardener? (I imagine it must. If so I think it would do the job)
Old 22-02-2024, 04:39   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Why would you want to move the transducer? There usually are a limited number of spaces on a hull where you can place a transducer ...
Indeed.
An in-hull transducer bounces its sonar signal through a solid fiberglass hull. This is possible because fiberglass has sonar properties similar to water. For optimal results, the transducer must be installed in a location that is in line with the water flow, and free from turbulence, interference, and air bubbles.
• On single thickness fiberglass hulls up to 16 mm (5/8 in.), you can mount an in-hull transducer, as flat, and close to hull, as possible.
• You must mount the in-hull transducer over solid fiberglass, with no dead (hollow) space, or core, in the boat hull. In-hull transducers are not for use with metal, wood, or cored fiberglass hulls.
• You must avoid areas of turbulent water flow [near keel, bow, after prop’]. You should not mount in-hull transducers over hull features that increase hull thickness beneath the device, or over fittings, water intake, or discharge ports, nor anything that agitates the water.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 04:44   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
... Does Bondo body filler use a hardener? (I imagine it must. If so I think it would do the job)
You're right.
A tube of hardener is included with 3M 'Bondo' Body Filler.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ns-for-use.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 05:25   #22

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You're right.
A tube of hardener is included with 3M 'Bondo' Body Filler.
Yessir! This can is an old friend in the shop, starting to scrape the sides and bottom. I am wondering if it will come with red, blue, or white cream hardener next time I buy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_bondo1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	286658  
Old 22-02-2024, 05:52   #23

"Bondo and most body fillers are made of polyester resins. Not the same as epoxy".

Polyester Versus Epoxy Wood Fillers - Woodweb

(Be careful using M.E.K.P hardener (It will blind you)

Old 22-02-2024, 06:37   #24
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Once upon a time my through hull transducer went bad, but I didn't want to haul out to replace it. I temporarily affixed one inside the hull until I could properly install one. I used electricians putty which is very similar to butyl tape. Worked great and was easy to remove and clean up.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 07:18   #25

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Edit: Also, if you are never going to have to move it, what’s the benefit of the mounting in non-permanent wax?

Transducers don't last forever. Changing one out in wax is quick and easy. Not so with epoxy.

Also, on occasion, you select the wrong spot. If the transducer is epoxied in, you have created a significant job for yourself and possibly ruined the transducer.

With wax, you just movie it.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:30   #26

Quote:
Why would you want to move the transducer?

Quote:
Transducers don't last forever. Changing one out in wax is quick and easy. Not so with epoxy.

Also, on occasion, you select the wrong spot. If the transducer is epoxied in, you have created a significant job for yourself and possibly ruined the transducer.

I feel like we are circling each other here a little.

But point taken, easier to replace, easier to troubleshoot. That makes sense, on balance you are probably right.

Just sharing my experience that if, for whatever reason, you want to do a good job cleaning that wax off the inside of the hull, it is a pain.
Old 22-02-2024, 11:46   #27

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thanks for the tip on toilet bowl wax . Last x-ducer was bedded in clear silicone...worked fine. Replaced with entire new unit...much ser (weaker?) X-ducer and noo shot thru it. Bag-of-watef trick worked but mfgr wants slow epoxy. Aaaaannndd what if it doesn't work once cured, huh? Now genre's a mess for ya.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 15:32   #28

Quote:

If the transducer is epoxied in I could remove it in five minutes! And probably without destroying it!
Old 26-02-2024, 11:10   #29

Boat: Summer Twins 25

More on this toilet bowl wax please?
Do you have to melt it like a candle?
A link possibly?
Why would you want to remove a sensor? Well I can answer that one, I have a new Raymarine P74 and they can be mounted in hull or outside ( not through hull )
Anyways I want to try and mount it in Hull space is limited - well suitable space is limited, but I have an in hull Depth sounder, so as close to that as possible.
What I don’t want to do is spoil a new sensor by finding it doesn’t work where I put it.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 12:02   #30

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Googled the Wax
Looks like a great idea, I will be giving this a go..

Never seen these before, not common in the UK I guess.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder, fish