Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 08:46   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Installing new deck teak questions?

I'm about to install new teak on my boat. I have 4 new deck handrails, a cabin top eyebrow, and runners that hold sliding overhead companionway hatch in place, all ready to be installed on my boat. I've put three coats of clear epoxy on it all, have sanded it smooth, and once installed I'll put a minimum of 5 and probably 6 coats of varnish on. I plan to use Butyl tape under all of it. I read somewhere to put the screws in, then before installing the teak bungs, put clear epoxy over the screw heads to get an excellent seal. That makes sense, but aren't I inviting problems whenever any of it might be removed?

I've used buytl tape only once before on some cabin portals and it was a success and it definitely not messy and easy to trim afterwards, but those are vertical not horizontal installations.

Just looking for some voices of experience on this subject.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak