Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2009, 15:14   #1

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"
Installing paneling in cabin and v-berth

I have a 1980 Cal25 MkII which has that grey cloth with foam backing on the cabin hull walls. The foam has deteriorated into powder and dry chunks and the cloth is hanging loose. I pulled most of the cloth off and shopvaced the foam chunks. How do I get the rest of the residue off that is glued on the walls? scraping doesnt seem to work. Or do I even have to remove it?

What I want to do is install paneling on the walls. Do I have to epoxy battens to the hull and then screw the panels to them?

Also I found a structural adhesive that is for installing porous paneling to fiberglass. DAP brand I think. Is this a good way to do it? I'm worried about the hull sweating under the paneling and mildewing.

I sail out of Kenosha, WI if the weather makes any difference to how I do it.

Thanks for the help,
Ray
rjrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 19:03   #2

Boat: Bristol 30
If there is any significant curvature to the hull, you should definitely use fiberglass and resin to secure the strips (oak). Don't forget to grind away any paint or finish where the strips will be secured.
I would space the oak strips about 18" apart. (Give or take depending on the curvature)
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 19:32   #3

Soundbounder, there is a fair amount of curvature. This was my concern about using the structural adhesive to attach the paneling. I was afraid it would just pop out from the hull.
Old 17-01-2009, 19:45   #4

It's not that hard to do. It's a little bit messy, but it is simple. Glass and resin the strips of wood, and then screw the panels to those strips.
Old 18-01-2009, 02:04   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
It's not that hard to do. It's a little bit messy, but it is simple. Glass and resin the strips of wood, and then screw the panels to those strips.
I would go with that approach as well, except to also say that if the remaining residue does not want to come off, then leave it - except where bonding the strips of wood to the hull.

I was lucky, all the foam backing and the glue disintegrated .....but my boat has another 10 years on yours But as mostly attached to flat panels I am simply (slowly??!) replacing with foam backed cloth.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 05:58   #6

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Thickened epoxy would be my choice of adhesive. It's stronger than fiberglass (but more $$$) and less messy than glassing over the ribs. It's also not likely to trap any water. I would not use oak for the simple reason that it is overkill for a non-strucural item like this. Fir, spruce or pine or such would be cheaper, easier to work and be easier to screw into. I think it would be harder to bend an oak strip to the curvature of the hull. If you were concerned about durability, you could paint it or coat it with epoxy. Strips of 3/8" plwood would also work. Some folks run kerfs with the table saw across the back so they will bend easier. Mate's book "From a Bare Hull" covers this in some detail.
Best regards, Shoal
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 09:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
Thickened epoxy would be my choice of adhesive. It's stronger than fiberglass (but more $$$) and less messy than glassing over the ribs. It's also not likely to trap any water. I would not use oak for the simple reason that it is overkill for a non-strucural item like this. Fir, spruce or pine or such would be cheaper, easier to work and be easier to screw into. I think it would be harder to bend an oak strip to the curvature of the hull. If you were concerned about durability, you could paint it or coat it with epoxy. Strips of 3/8" plwood would also work. Some folks run kerfs with the table saw across the back so they will bend easier. Mate's book "From a Bare Hull" covers this in some detail.
Best regards, Shoal
My only concern is that the strips are relatively thin, and with years of flexing and dampness, the screws might be subject to pulling. Maybe using oak is overkill, but it is just a few strips, and wouldn't IMO be that expensive.
Old 19-01-2009, 10:21   #8

All,
Thanks for the advice. I'll get "From a bare hull" book. There are a couple others recommended on Amazon including this one.

Boat Interior Construction by Michael Naujok
Boat Joinery and Cabinet Making Simplified by Fred P. Bingham