Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 09:47   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Installing Strakes

I plan to install some stainless steel strakes to protect the teak toe rails on my Pearson 323. The job seems simple enough, but I wanted to seek advice before diving in.

(1) 304 SS versus 316 SS. The most popular strake I find online is 304 SS, but I was worried about weathering/streaking. Do you think this is an issue? Any sources for 316 strakes?

(2) Fastening. The brand of strakes I am considering calls for #8 screws, and I intend to use SS material, to match the strakes. Any advice on preparing the teak toe rails for fastening? For example, I would (a) pre-drill the holes with a tapered bit, and (b) pre-wax the screws before installation. Did I miss anything (for example, is wood sealant needed, especially if the holes are vertical, instead of horizontal)?

(3) Edge protection. At the stern cleats, the rope is chafing the edges of teak rails. Strakes are not the best application here, but I will try it, if can't find anything else. The ideal would be bullnose SS edge protection, but can't seem to find it online. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote