Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 13:02   #31

Re: Interior Cushions Rock Hard

Personally, I don't like memory foam on a boat (although a lot of people do). I find it feels weird to sit on and hot to sleep on.

If you want to spend extra money, I prefer latex to memory foam. Is much cooler and has a great feel.

But a good quality conventional foam will last a really long time and feel great.

I've been getting my foam from this place for years. Shipping is free. It's cheap enough you can just replace your current foam. Order it in layers of different firmness and experiment with combinations until you get a feel that you like. Thin layers are easy to cut with standard scissors or a box cutter if you compress the foam with a board.

https://www.foambymail.com/foam-mattresses.html

My go-to foam is their HD36-HQ. It's a very high quality regular foam with a medium firmness

For firmer consider a sandwich of a few inches of their Lux-HQ on the bottom with the HD36 on top.

Another thing I do on beds is a top layer of the convoluted LUX which isn't too firm because it's been cut into the convoluted shapes - it seems to sleep very cool. You could also have the top layer be a few inches of latex.

If things are too firm, put an inch of superset foam near the top.

For a cushion that you want to have a rounded top like a chair, add some batting on top. https://www.sailrite.com/Polyester-B....30-Loft-5-Yds

Don't be afraid to experiment. Firmness is very subjective.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:03   #32

A lot of good information here from everybody. Thank you.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:43   #33

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I would just throw the entire old foam away and keep the upholstery, starting with new foam. Foam only lasts about 10 years so why put effort into adding a topper, cutting holes, etc. to something that has a shortened life?

Last time I made (5") settee cushions I used seating foam for the bottom half, then softer sleeping foam for the next quarter or so, and then a latex topper. They are amazing for sleeping and work well for sitting. I am getting ready to replace them and am considering 2" latex over 3" seating foam.

Do your research on foams. The synthetic foams are specified in both firmness and density, with high density being more durable and the only way to go for us. There are also differences in latex foams, but generally they will be the most comfortable and durable (more than synthetic), and also the heaviest. My v-berth is 5" latex and it is a struggle to move.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 18:11   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poche View Post
The former owner of my boat spent a ton of money on the cushions. Nice looking but they are like sitting on concrete almost. Very uncomfortable and I have come to dislike sitting on them or sleeping on them.
Plan A is I am thinking of taking out the foam and having it cut in half so that I can glue a softer layer of foam on top and then putting it back in the cover.
Has anyone done it differently and it worked out?
I've heard of different sandwich ideas.
So I am curious what you ended up doing and how it worked?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 18:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So I am curious what you ended up doing and how it worked?
I have not done it yet but the plan is to take cores out of one of the lesser used cushion pieces.
As soon as I do I will post my results for sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I have not done it yet but the plan is to take cores out of one of the lesser used cushion pieces.
As soon as I do I will post my results for sure.
Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to use to core the foam?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to use to core the foam?
I am going to try a plain half inch diameter hole saw but somewhere in the thread was suggested a hole saw made specifically for this.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:11   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I am going to try a plain half inch diameter hole saw but somewhere in the thread was suggested a hole saw made specifically for this.
I'd go back and look for one made especially for the purpose. A regular hole saw in my opinion will be a disaster even if run at a very slow RPM. I have a feeling one made for the purpose probably has a cutting edge like a serrated blade knife. A couple of bucks for the right tool might save some grief.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, interior