Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2022, 09:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor
Question Interior wall panelling?

The wall paneling - a plastic sheet with thin sponge on the inside - on my Beneteau 2000 came of the inside wall of one of the stern cabins. The main cabin is paneled with wood. What can I use to replace the one that came off? I don't like the plastic sheet anyway. I suppose it provided some heat insulation but looked and behaved ugly. Do I just paint the inside? Panel with some wood? How do I attach it to the wall? Glue?
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 10:13   #2

Re: Interior wall panelling?

Not sure exactly what you have, but paneling all the odd surfaces on boats is expensive and time consuming.... probably why Bene did it that way.
Many have a vinyl backed by thin foam, maybe that's what you have. It seems to be the best solution unless you want to be a boat builder. The inside surface of a boat has many lumps and bumps, the foam backed material hides much of this. Just painting will likely be pretty ugly as well as may require a bunch of grinding first which will put itchy fiberglass dust everywhere in the boat.
"Rat fur" is used in lieu of vinyl on some boats. You spray contact cement on the surface and apply the thin material to the hull with either product. Then cut the excess away with a razor knife and replace the wood trim you took off to cover the edges. If no trim then just cut it all to join together. you now have a fuzzy furry interior! haha

Bottom lione is there is no easy way to make it look like the main cabin.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 14:34   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
The wall paneling - a plastic sheet with thin sponge on the inside - on my Beneteau 2000 came of the inside wall of one of the stern cabins. The main cabin is paneled with wood. What can I use to replace the one that came off? I don't like the plastic sheet anyway. I suppose it provided some heat insulation but looked and behaved ugly. Do I just paint the inside? Panel with some wood? How do I attach it to the wall? Glue?

Have a look at Sailing Uma on YouTube for some alternative ideas. Also, the custom campervan fitout guys have some very clever ideas.

Of course a boat is slightly more challenging with more moisture to contend with but it’s not as hard as is often believed and there are plenty of non-traditional approaches that will work well and look good.
Old 16-05-2022, 16:07   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

A friend made an insulated vinyl panel white Netting pockets. Worked out really well.
I like the idea of upholstered walls. My Jeanneau coach roof a finished double sided mould another method to hide the uglies.
I’ve used a company in Sound company who love structured balsa. They create three dimensional art on walls to sound insulate a space. They make an endless ranges of soft wall cushions in any size which use a fabric inside. You could add a splash of colour and sound deaden and uneven surface
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 16:30   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
My instant reaction to your post was a question. How do you want it to look?

Tried to look at a couple of 461s to see which "wall" would possibly have plastic sheeting and the only thing I could find is some white covering on the hull near the mattress/foam. Is this the wall where your plastic sheet was located? (if not, a pic could help)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 16:59   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Usually it’s leatherette, ( vinyl) with a foam backing, you can get some very nice materials in a range of colours.

Why not just replace it with similar

Tags
interior