Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 21:19   #1

Interlux bottom paint hauled more than 30 days

I just painted my boat with Interlux Ultra hard bottom paint, and was in the water for 7 days. We had to do a haulout and will likely be out of the water slightly more than 30 days. Do I need to repaint the bottom since this is a hard paint?
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 21:54   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Interlux bottom paint hauled more than 30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I just painted my boat with Interlux Ultra hard bottom paint, and was in the water for 7 days. We had to do a haulout and will likely be out of the water slightly more than 30 days. Do I need to repaint the bottom since this is a hard paint?

Is this relevant?

What is the storage and launching instructions for boats painted with hard antifoulings?

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/suppo...-and-launching
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 08:08   #3

Just heard back from interlux. They stated if we are hauled more than 30 days, we need to repaint. This contradicts what is on the webpage, and they stated they may update the page. I guess I get to sand and paint again.
Old 23-02-2021, 16:49   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

"Boats that have been in the water for more than 24 hours but less than 30 days – Pressure wash immediately after hauling. No additional work is needed if the boat is relaunched with 72 hours. IF the boat will be out of the water for more than 72 hours will need to be sanded with 220-grit sandpaper immediately prior to relaunching."

I'm surprised it needs to be repainted. It seems they have changed their mind? I wonder what harm it would do if you "sanded with 220-grit sandpaper immediately prior to relaunching"?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 10:57   #5

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

The problem is that the paint surface oxidizes. If it is new paint, I would just go the sand with 220 route since that should remove surface oxidation.

Why do they recommend to repaint? Hmm... maybe they want to sell more paint!! or maybe they think painting is easier than sanding?
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 11:21   #6

Here is the comment from interlux.

After 30 days the rosin in the product tends to harden up and won’t allow for proper leaching of copper, so your bottom paint won’t work as well.
Old 24-02-2021, 13:17   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I would roll with what you have,
BUT if you are going to put a second coat on? Put a different color on so you can tell the progress of the leaching, I use the same paint in two colors for two coats (I hit the leading edges a second time with each color and I get 3 years out of the two coats.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 20:39   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
Just heard back from interlux. They stated if we are hauled more than 30 days, we need to repaint. This contradicts what is on the webpage, and they stated they may update the page. I guess I get to sand and paint again.
This is one of the issues with regular paint, and why we didn't go for it.
We haul at least as much as leaving in the water over winter. Our boat was painted in 2012 with Coppercoat. Have not touched it since.

Might be worth thinking about for next time. Not cheap to buy (double something like Micron 66), but do the math - 10-15 years from one application ..........

Tags
bottom paint, Interlux, paint