Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2021, 06:09   #1

Interprotect 2000

Greetings,

I plan to use Interprotect 2000 to seal small underwater area (where thruhull used to be) and larger topside area (hull-deck joint). Bought the white version of the product and mixed small batches. Two teaspoons (12 ml) each plus varying quantities of hardener 3, 4 and 5ml. I do not think any of them cured properly. The 12 + 3 dried a lot faster than the other two. I also noticed the base (resin) by itself will dry out in open air and becomes indistinguishable from "cured" patch.
Herein is the question: how do know it actually cured rather simply dried out?
And next, even after 12 hours leftovers in the mixing cups are still liquid. Regular epoxy never does it if cured.
Any insights are much appreciated.
vladkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 06:26   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Interprotect 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkri View Post
Greetings,

I plan to use Interprotect 2000 to seal small underwater area (where thruhull used to be) and larger topside area (hull-deck joint). Bought the white version of the product and mixed small batches. Two teaspoons (12 ml) each plus varying quantities of hardener 3, 4 and 5ml. I do not think any of them cured properly. The 12 + 3 dried a lot faster than the other two. I also noticed the base (resin) by itself will dry out in open air and becomes indistinguishable from "cured" patch.
Herein is the question: how do know it actually cured rather simply dried out?
And next, even after 12 hours leftovers in the mixing cups are still liquid. Regular epoxy never does it if cured.
Any insights are much appreciated.
I have used a lot of Interprotect. Like you, I use a lot of small batches, using plastic spoons to measure the amounts into a small cup. I would recommend strictly following the manufacturer's instructions, mixing 3:1.

I've not had a problem with the mixture curing. If the mixture is cured, it should be hard. If it merely dried out, as you say, I would think a fingernail would peel it up.

Something is definitely wrong. I would check with the place you bought it from, and perhaps Interlux or International, depending on what country you are in.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 07:31   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

I have used IP2000 on a couple occasions with no issues.

If you followed the manufacturer's instructions, including proportions and mixing/curing temperature, and it still did not harden within the expected time, you have a defective product. I would try to get a refund or replacement.

According to AkzoNobel (manufacturer) the minimum temp. for mixing and application is 5C/41F. At 50F, it should be touch dry after 3 hours and ready for immersion after 24 hours. The mixing ratio is 3:1 by volume. Note that there is also a maximum allowed wait time for overcoating. If you wait too long before overcoating, the paint will peel. I found out the hard way.
Old 21-12-2021, 11:51   #4

Thanks everyone who responded. I tested two different cans. It turns out both were past their shelf life. I wish such a reputable manufacturer would print BB info on the cans rather than a cryptic batch code which must be sent to them for confirmation. It's a long winter, so I ordered some more.
vladkri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot