Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2024, 19:35   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Is a Cordless Power Washer too good to be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
This is the one I mentioned upthread:

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396040350
I worry that is too powerful. I have an 1800psi Simmons that I use around the house and even that if I am not careful does damage like peel paint off the fence or siding. was thinking the 320 or even 600psi ones would be more forgiving
Old 06-01-2024, 08:53   #17

I like the concept of a portable, smaller pressure washer that's easy to haul on the boat.

Is there a 120v one that would have a very compact size and give at least 2500 psi? Haven't found one.

I have a Ryobi 3100psi that I use all the time at home port and adjust the size of the nozzle, depending on the job. And it works well, but is loud, need hearing protection and long hoses.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 09:37   #18

Boat: Hullmaster 27

My local chandlery used to rent out a pressure washer, but then someone stole it, and my boat needed the decks scrubbed. I have nowhere to store a big unit on board, so I bought an off-brand chinese 400psi 20V handheld unit from amazon.

It's a big step up from just using a dock hose, but doesn't compare to a real pressure-washer. But it does store easily on the boat, so I'm not dependent on finding one to borrow/rent ... I don't have a 12V charger for it, so haven't tried it at anchor yet.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 06:53   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

We have the 18V Ryobi. It is nice for a quick cleanup of the waterline, general dirt tracked aboard from the dock, surface mildew and bird droppings, but it is not going to clean a deeply impregnated stain. It is also not going to cut into the lines on my boat or into my toes. I like that I can keep it on the boat for occasional quick cleaning. We have a plug-in power washer that I can bring to the boat in the car, but it is a pain to load/unload and is too big to keep onboard.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 06:53   #20

My personal view is power washers are the worst thing you can use on a boat. Just another gadget.
A power washer will only take the job so far and you will need to use elbow grease to get the final grime off.

Who knows what it does around the hatches, port lights, seems. Blow any sealant out.
I often thought power washers contribute to blistering of the hull. 3000-4000 P.S.I. can’t help.
I use to power wash for a living. Blisters and power washers have been around about the same amount of time.

Since the price came way down on power washers, Costco etc. People use them for everything even power washing the dog.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 07:33   #21

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Rather another electric device, I use a set of attachments that uses spinning brushes that are powered by the hose water pressure. Soap everything up, let it soak, and then no manual scrubbing😀
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 19:47   #22

Boat: Nauticat 33

I have the 40v Ryobi portable power washer for an anchor wash down and for general cleaning. It has plenty of power - 100 -600 psi. It has 4 spray patterns and pulls water from a hose, a bucket, or from over the side.
I bought 2 off-brand long running batteries for backup. The original battery is more than enough to clean heavy mud off the anchor, chain, and deck.
It’s no lightweight with the bigger battery in it but worth it. Stores compactly and recharges quickly.
No affiliation but a happy user.
Joie de Vivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 13:28   #23

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
Thanks, I did a search for cordless power washers before and nothing came up but now when I put in that worx brand name they did. will look at some of those threads.
The Worx battery unit (40 volt) was discontinued several years ago. I have one. It is about half the power of a 110 volt plug in. Mine broke a few years back. The company told me they were discontinued and that they no longer sell parts for them. I ended up fabricating a part and fixing it myself. It works much better with a pressurized garden hose than from a bucket.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 16:04   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

After reading these comments I reckon that the answer to

Is a Cordless Power Washer too good to be true?

is "Yes, too good to be true..."

and it is a pity, for a better one would be quite useful for many.

Jim
Old 15-01-2024, 22:25   #25

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
thanks for the comments everyone. All my power tools with batteries are Rigid and they don't make one of these, would be beneficial if I had extra batteries to use I suppose. Maybe will get one from a store with a good return policy and give it a try. If I do, will post up a vid review
Good luck with that. I bought one with a good returns policy on the internet. It was a piece of junk and even changing the pick-up hose and connecting to the fresh water system it was still too weak to be of use. Next week the boat was broken into and they pinched it, along with tools etc.
Just as well as the returns policy was never acknowledged, never any response from supplier and all negative comments got deleted instantly.
Fortunately, insurance paid up and I upgraded to a proper deck wash system.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power